For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Apr 26, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #241 of 9,574
@Golfnutz
You make a good point, but I have some great photos of my GEC 6AS7Gs from a legit eBayer. The tubes looked good in photos as well as up close when I received them. They failed however during the first few hours...by by $320.
My point here is photos won't change my mind.

SD I'm in with you. I look at the possible risk/reward as being acceptable. :)

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #242 of 9,574
I'd really like to buy a couple pairs too. I just have some concerns. The one with 49 available looks a bit different, and doesn't show a box. There's also a price difference. SDMAN was posting the pics of the ones with only 2 available. So I'm a bit confused.  I sent SDMAN a PM earlier today to let him know that there are two postings, asking if maybe it was the same person.  I just don't know if he's aware and as confused as I am. I wasn't questioning the photos in his posting, I was just adding them for others to let them know the photos looked good (on the Ad with only 2 available), and to compare if there was an additional group photo with 10 - 20 tubes and boxes.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #243 of 9,574
IMHO, the ones in the bottom picture with the rounded bases are the better tubes.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #244 of 9,574
Is this greyish deposit below the getter flash something to worry about? The tube's tested as good (from audiotubes.com), and it works and sounds fine too. It's a Chatham JAN-CAHG-6080WB btw.

It pretty much goes around the whole circumference.

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #245 of 9,574
It looks like a Bendix, very nice tube indeed.
If it tests good and sounds nice I would not worry about it.
Just enjoy the music.

Apr 28, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #246 of 9,574
It's got a different plate structure to the Bendix, these are almost triangular, same as the TS JAN-CTL one, the Bendix are sort of T-shaped from what I've seen in pics. Also the ceramic spacers seem to be thinner on this. Certainly a lovely sounding tube, and looks even better too, especially it's glow:

Quote:
It looks like a Bendix, very nice tube indeed.
If it tests good and sounds nice I would not worry about it.
Just enjoy the music.

May 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #247 of 9,574

Quote:
I'd really like to buy a couple pairs too. I just have some concerns. The one with 49 available looks a bit different, and doesn't show a box. There's also a price difference. SDMAN was posting the pics of the ones with only 2 available. So I'm a bit confused.  I sent SDMAN a PM earlier today to let him know that there are two postings, asking if maybe it was the same person.  I just don't know if he's aware and as confused as I am. I wasn't questioning the photos in his posting, I was just adding them for others to let them know the photos looked good (on the Ad with only 2 available), and to compare if there was an additional group photo with 10 - 20 tubes and boxes.

If the ones in the top photo are GEC A1834's they are equivalent 6080's right? They look similar, but aren't really 6AS7G's? Thanks. 

May 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #248 of 9,574
The ones in the top pick look more like a typical 6AS7G than the bottom ones.  But both are 6AS7G's. I have both, and I think the lower pic type with the rounded base sound a bit better (and are older).

May 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #249 of 9,574

Quote:
Is this greyish deposit below the getter flash something to worry about? The tube's tested as good (from audiotubes.com), and it works and sounds fine too. It's a Chatham JAN-CAHG-6080WB btw.

It pretty much goes around the whole circumference.

An update on this tube... the 'deposits' or whatever have been slowly disappearing with use. Heres an image of the same tube, on the right, a week later. Anyone got a clue what's going on? lol

May 2, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #250 of 9,574
Frankly, I will never trust these kind of tubes selling in Taoboa from China but the pair in the bottom are really tempting, good luck.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote:

May 3, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #251 of 9,574
dannie,

It's true, however i cannot find any GEC A1834 in Hong Kong, and the shopkeeper said many mainlander bought them and send back to China.

Or, you have any other reliable sources to get them???

Thanks

Quote:
Frankly, I will never trust these kind of tubes selling in Taoboa from China but the pair in the bottom are really tempting, good luck.

Just my 2 cents.

May 3, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #252 of 9,574

Quote:
dannie,

It's true, however i cannot find any GEC A1834 in Hong Kong, and the shopkeeper said many mainlander bought them and send back to China.

Or, you have any other reliable sources to get them???

Thanks

I bought a pair from HK (actually Danny helped me on this), it is very good experience but he can't get anymore.  I have my name on his waiting list on the GEC 6AS7G, the last time I exchange emails with him, he do have few more matched pair of GEC 6080.

May 3, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #253 of 9,574
Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to sit this one out. I just hope SDMAN isn't chasing a big white Elephant. If he isn't and ends up with a couple of pairs, he'll really enjoy them. Ohhh, it would be nice to have some extras on-hand though....  Thanks for the comments guys.

May 4, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #254 of 9,574
Bought a pair of Bendix 6080, now waiting for my crack to test it out.

May 5, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #255 of 9,574
How do NEC (Nippon Electronics) 6AS7G's sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back