For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Mar 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #227 of 9,574
I VERY seriously doubt it.  The 6528 is not really very close to the 6AS7.  Plus, IMHO, it sounds like CRAP.

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #228 of 9,574
My tubeman made a mistake and has only 1 of the RCA and GEC 6as7G left but he does have the Chatham 6AS7G for 17€,
He also has the RCA grey plates in stock. How are those rca 6as7g grey plates? All the opinions seem to be based on the black plates
Rca Gray or Chathams? Chathams, right? (aren't they Tung Sols anyway?)

They'll be used in my Lafigaro 339 with the TeleFunken EF80

thanks!

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #231 of 9,574

Quote:
I just picked up a quad set of NOS Tung-sol 6520's..

So YOU are the one who outbid me
angry_face.gif

tongue_smile.gif

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #233 of 9,574
A while back I posted that I had found a seller in the far east with 49 GEC A1834's. Supposedly all NOS. Pics were posted. I have checked the website and seller out, and it appears to be the real deal (Ive had people we work with there do the checking). I set out to find a contact there that could do the buying and ship them to me. I got an E-mail today from that contact, and I will have the banking info to do the fund transfer to next week. They are travelling on business this week. I am going to order 4 pair, at 1600 yuan a pair (~$245.00 US). Plus shipping and any taxes. I have no insight as to the tax liability. Shipping shouldnt be all that bad.

I will keep 2 pair, one to use in my WA22, and one to put on the shelve. The other 2 pair I will sell. Likely on Audiogon. I have had a few (2 or 3...cant re-call) members ask me to keep them informed on the progress of this. If anyone wants to get in on this, I think I can order more, but Im only paying for the 4 sets. You would need to paypal me (or bank check) prior to my ordering. I assume no liability on this, as there is always the possibility something goes awry. I dont think it will, as I have checked it out as good as I can, and Im willing to risk $1000. But thats as much as Im willing to gamble on this virtual 'trip to Vegas'.

PM me if this is something that is of interest to you. Then I have current contact data.

Additional data. Got a complete set of pics. Maybe someone who is familiar with this tube can comment on their authenticity by looking at the pics.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #234 of 9,574
Last call for this. While its possible I can make a second buy, it will be somewhat of an annoyance for my contact. And its always possible a request for a second purchase (through this contact) would be refused. I would then need to establish a second contact. Do-able, but an additional task I would have to make time for. Currently, looks like 8 pair total based the PM's I received.

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #235 of 9,574
I'm still in.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #236 of 9,574
Nice of you to organize that, SDMAN.  I am going to pass on my end - I have enough of those to last me, and I bought mine for much less than that price, although that was a long time ago, and these days I doubt you can get them cheaper than what SDMAN has found.

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #238 of 9,574
I think before I could commit to this, as a minimum I would like to see a group photo of 20 or so tubes outside the boxes (with boxes in view) in various positions. For me this would be a better starting point before making a decision.

I did find a few sites that were claiming the KT88's were being faked out of China. They're brown bases look similar to the 6AS7G's (based on the photos of the KT88's I saw). I also saw what was suppose to be a faked GEC yellow label on another tube.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #240 of 9,574
Counterfeiting is a legitimate concern. Its a huge problem in China, though I am not personally familiar with any such proven activity regarding vaccum tubes. But the truth is, anything is possible, and just because I havent heard of it does not mean its not occuring at some level. Risk is part of this deal, and I have been completely open about that aspect. Thus my personal $1000 limit (I did originally refer to this as a virtual trip to vegas). Meaning the possibility exists that you could arrive back home with empty pockets.

Having said that, here is why Im willing to take the risk.  The website is all in chinese. There is almost no translateable (thru google) info. The website's contact person speaks no english. None. We both tried E-mailing each other (twice), and there was a 12,000 mile communication gap. Now the percentage of the population in China that would even remotely be interested in these tubes is incredibly small. Miniscule, actually. Given the website, thats the only market these goods are realistically offered in. Remember. No Paypal. No credit/debit cards. In reality, no way to pay PERIOD unless you have a chinese bank account, and can do an in country fund transfer. And shipping out of the country is a completely seperate issue (problem). If this guy is a counterfeiter, he isnt a very good one. But its always best to be skeptical. And I wouldnt blame anyone for holding back to see how my purchase goes. It very well may be the smart thing to do.

Back to your suggestion. Can I get a picture of 10-12 sets of these tubes, with boxes? Thats an interesting question. And not necessarily a bad idea. He likely does have a camera. How hard could it be for him to sooth our fears and supply the requested pic? Especially if we make it a requirement to do the sale. Seems to me a legitimate seller would be happy to supply such a pic to close the deal on such a large order (half his stock). I will run that by my contact and see what the response is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back