For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Jan 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #211 of 9,574
Yup, same tube for sure, both GEC made.  And that pair sold for a pretty penny!  I saw a single NOS GEC A1834 just sold for $150+.  While I really like the sound of these, at those prices, I would stick with a 5998 in most applications, as long as those can still be had for $40 each NOS.

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #212 of 9,574
Listening to my IBM labled 5998 i hear alot of body while maintaining clarity and neutral tone.  Its a super quiet tube compared to my other 6AS7G tubes which often have a faint background hum.  I am running the 5998 through a bottlhead crack+speedball with new HD600's.  

Very content at the moment.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jan 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #213 of 9,574
After following Skylab's (and others) advice, I tried the TS 5998 and nothing else has been put in and that was a couple years ago. It is a versatile tube as well as being good on the eye.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #214 of 9,574
Yup, the 5998 is pretty much the perfect tube of this type...that's why I started hoarding them a while back, lol.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #216 of 9,574
I was curious what the state of new vacuum tube manufacturing was? More specifically, do any of the newer tubes match the performance of some of the older stallworths? I'd noticed that there is a Western Electric web site that still sells vacuum tubes here. And I know that companies like Electroharmonix and others have "reissued" some products and are as well manufacturing new versions of old standards. I've bought a couple reissued tubes in the recent past and had been a little disappointed with them.

I wish that there were some more affordable options to purchase tubes like the Chatham 6AS7G. For myself, these tubes might just as well be mythical items, something that I'll likely never get to hear. Not having the time or money to track such rare things down, is there any point in the future for any of the "new" tube companies to remanufacture some of these old legendary tubes? And what exactly are these reissued tubes? Do they conform to their original patented predecessors?

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #217 of 9,574
That WE site is no longer really operative.  There was a short period where a few WE tubes were being manufactured at the old WE owensboro KY plant, but that incarnation of WE is gone.  And most "re-issues" are a far cry from the originals.

There are some good new production tubes, but they seem few and far between, in terms of competing with NOS.

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #218 of 9,574
I didn't realize the Western Electric site was inactive. I'm more lamenting an opportunity to hear some of the classic NOS tubes. I really do love the easily available RCA 6AS7G, wonderful tube. And I love how they pair so well with the more difficult to get ahold of Sylvania 5751... or should I say the "correct" Sylvania 5751's. Sorry for the thread drift. But I'd sure love to see someone lease a patent or two of some of these old tubes.

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #219 of 9,574
Hi, this is my first post.
Thanks to this forum I'm a happy owner of a nice Darkvoice 336SE and the marvelous headphones Sennheiser HD800.
And with the Darkvoice came the tube rolling! ... There are tons of 6SN7 and 6AS7 in the world!!
eek.gif

My 6AS7 type collection includes RCA 6AS7G black plates, Philips 6AS7G gray plates, Svetlana 6N13S, GE 6080WA, GE 6AS7GA, GE 5998A and a strange 6AS7G branded Marshall Electronics with 5998's plates (see photos).
I did a lot of research in internet but I didn't find anything like that. It seems a 6520, but the writings state 6AS7G.
Indeed the sound with the Marshall is pretty better than with the others. Wider headstage, deeper bass, wonderful midrange.
What do you think about it?

Now my Darkvoice has the Marshall 6AS7G paired with JAN-CHY CBS 5692 or alternatively a Tung-Sol VT231 round plates as driver.
I'm very happy with that.

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #220 of 9,574
I would bet that tube is a 6520, which was often 5998 innards with 6AS7 specs.  Also made by ONLY Tung Sol.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #222 of 9,574
My local tube supplier is charging me this for NOS tested tubes

Telefunken EF80: 12€/piece ~ 17$/piece
RCA 6as7G Black plates: 15€/piece ~ 21$/piece

How are those prices you think?

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #224 of 9,574
This looks like the right thread for this. I stumbled across a website, overseas that does not have an english translation page. And Google's translator was not much help. But. It did translate enough for me to see NOS GEC A1834. And it also translated the quantity. 49 I think. And it had several listings with pics. Ill post one when I finish typing.

I work in the electronics industry (PCB designer) and the stuff we design thats not controlled by ITAR can go overseas for production. So I have some contacts where these are for sale. Contacts that can buy them and ship them to me. I have not completely finished setting this up, but it looks like I will have to wire transfer payment to the bank of the guy who will buy it. Including shipping. No Paypal and so far it doesnt look like credit/debit cards are an option either. So far. He then buys it and ships it back to me. Might be a week or two before this gets all setup as my contact is a rep and travels a bit. We will see if this works out.

A pair of these is 1600 Yuan, which is $240 us. Not inexpensive. I have mentioned this in the last day or so, and a couple of people have contacted me with interest. Its to early for me to say that this is a sure thing, but Ill keep on it until it either goes thru or falls thru.  Heres the pic. And as I said, there were many listings. My preference is to get this setup so anyone that wants one (or two) can just follow the process that I use, and order on their own. Ill be the guinea pig.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #225 of 9,574
Yeah, please let us know what happens.  That is a pretty high price, but if they are truly NOS, and in original boxes, then it would not be too awful...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back