For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Aug 4, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #9,286 of 9,574
Took another gamble on an untested GEC 6080 for £30... That's about my limit for untested items I think

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #9,288 of 9,574
In general, I would not hesitate buying untested items from anyone with good feedback. So far there have been very few problems.

It's dead..

Worth claiming my money back via eBay even if it was sold untested?

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #9,289 of 9,574
It's dead..

Worth claiming my money back via eBay even if it was sold untested?
If it was sold as-is for parts non working, you’re stuck. If sold as used, you can get a refund, even if the seller states no returns, untested.

Aug 9, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #9,290 of 9,574
If it was sold as-is for parts non working, you’re stuck. If sold as used, you can get a refund, even if the seller states no returns, untested.

My bad... was installed in my amp wrong.

It's got a bit less getter flash than my other GEC 6080, but works fine and is quiet. I'm looking at getting all my untested valves tested soon so I know what condition they are in.

Aug 14, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #9,291 of 9,574
Hi,
I'm pretty new to the tube game, and openly admit that I don't have much of a clue.
I have already read a lot, which is why I decided to go to the 5998 tubes.
I have now bought 2 pairs, both declared as matched, both from different sellers, and about this I now have a question.
The first pair has completely different designations, but was measured, and according to the seller fits perfectly together, I also got the measured values.

However, I noticed in this pair that the internal structure is different, I tried to photograph this:

IMG_1579.jpeg

IMG_1578.jpeg

The other pair is the same, plus one tube is even longer than the other one, also the plates are in different colors, one is a light gray, the other is a darker gray:
IMG_1568.jpeg

IMG_1569.jpeg

My thought now is:
If I use the two tubes together, which are identical, should that be ok, regardless of the labeling on the base?

My question:
What are the differences in the tubes?
Are they different years of manufacture?
Is it bad if I use a pair where the construction is not identical?

Aug 14, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #9,292 of 9,574
Hello and welcome!

If they are 5998s but have different labeling (i.e., a different manufacturer, a different manufacturing year/month, different factories), they should run fine in your system. You can use tubes from the same family with slight differences in construction; it's not a problem. One of my 5998s has some broken glass in the tube, while the others don't. Some of my 5998s have top and bottom getters, some only have the top, and some only have the bottom. They still work fine. Although we always aim to find tubes with close similarities...

Aug 14, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #9,293 of 9,574
If they are 5998s but have different labeling (i.e., a different manufacturer, a different manufacturing year/month, different factories), they should run fine in your system. You can use tubes from the same family with slight differences in construction; it's not a problem. One of my 5998s has some broken glass in the tube, while the others don't. Some of my 5998s have top and bottom getters, some only have the top, and some only have the bottom. They still work fine.

Thank you very much for your answer.
I'm already busy reading all the info, especially about the structure, and all the technical terms like "getter", "mica", "tripple mica", etc.. :D

With the prices that are demanded these days for tubes, one worries already times, at least if one does not have a cash cow.

I started reading here from 2009, back then 90 dollars for a 5998 was already considered a lot of money. :deadhorse:

Although we always aim to find tubes with close similarities...
Yes, especially me, I can't even use a cable from Meze Audio with my Audeze headphones - just doesn't fit. :ksc75smile:

Aug 14, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #9,294 of 9,574
Hi,
I'm pretty new to the tube game, and openly admit that I don't have much of a clue.
I have now bought 2 pairs, both declared as matched, both from different sellers, and about this I now have a question.
The first pair has completely different designations, but was measured, and according to the seller fits perfectly together, I also got the measured values.

However, I noticed in this pair that the internal structure is different, I tried to photograph this:

IMG_1579.jpeg

IMG_1578.jpeg

The other pair is the same, plus one tube is even longer than the other one, also the plates are in different colors, one is a light gray, the other is a darker gray:
IMG_1568.jpeg

IMG_1569.jpeg

My thought now is:
If I use the two tubes together, which are identical, should that be ok, regardless of the labeling on the base?

My question:
You're smart to start looking at the structures of tubes to distinguish differences. It's very common to see tubes manufactured by the same factory and batch with very different labels. It's also important to understand that certain structural characteristics of tubes correlate to a preferred manufacturing process but in themselves are not important. Getters are a good example of this. The getter itself has no impact on performance (at least it shouldn't), but it might so happen that the years when a factory put the getters on the bottom of a tube are also the years when they used higher quality materials or internal design. This is just an example, but hopefully you get the point.

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #9,295 of 9,574
Hi,

IMG_1579.jpeg

IMG_1578.jpeg

IMG_1568.jpeg

IMG_1569.jpeg

My thought now is:

My question:
All the tubes have date codes. In general (but not always) the conventional wisdom is that older is better.
The number 322 is the Electronics Industry Association (EIA) number for Tung-Sol. The top left code says 6017 which means the 17th week (April) of 1960. Cannot read the code on the right top tube.
On the second set of tubes the left tube has the code HB3. As far as I know nobody has deciphered these codes yet, but they should be earlier than the top left tube. It is also possible that these codes are not manufacturing dates but codes that show when the warranty ends.

Aug 15, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #9,296 of 9,574
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #9,297 of 9,574
Hi...

I have these 2 tubes, Tung Sol 6080WA and Chanthan 6080...

are they both good? They look almost identical, I don't know if they are the best version of them and if there is another 6080 than can be better?

Thank you very much for your advice...

Attachments

• 20230821_222933.jpg
    20230821_222933.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230821_222506.jpg
    20230821_222506.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #9,298 of 9,574
Hi...

are they both good? They look almost identical, I don't know if they are the best version of them and if there is another 6080 than can be better?

Yes these are great. 👍
Different flavor 6080 would be GEC and Bendix.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #9,299 of 9,574
Hi...

Same tube, good bang for buck. Average. Better than many lower cost 6080s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back