For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Aug 30, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #8,056 of 9,589
Can anyone please tell me the differences, if any, between the black base Sylvania Gold Brand 6080 and the white base?
thanks for any and all info

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #8,057 of 9,589
Can anyone please tell me the differences, if any, between the black base Sylvania Gold Brand 6080 and the white base?
thanks for any and all info
As always there is a high level of rebranding going on so it is always better to judge by internal structure
Most of the black base GB tubes I see look very much like GE and the white version I see in equal numbers branded Philips and Sylvania

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #8,058 of 9,589
Hahah! This thread was what sent me down the 6AS7 rabbit hole. I’ve got seven different tubes, and four of them are in pairs, so I really don’t need any more. But if something cheap and interesting comes up I’ll snag it :)

I haven’t started collecting 6SN7s fortunately, or else I’d been bankrupt.

I thought the 6AS7 rabbit hole was deep, but it pales in comparison to the EL34/6L6/KT66/KT88 rabbit hole. Gathering tubes for my upcoming SET amp is proving very account-draining. By comparison, a pair of GEC 6AS7G is $500 and a pair of GEC (Genalex/Gold Lion) KT88 is $1000 on a good day. Western Electric 350B's?? $1200+...

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #8,059 of 9,589
I thought the 6AS7 rabbit hole was deep, but it pales in comparison to the EL34/6L6/KT66/KT88 rabbit hole. Gathering tubes for my upcoming SET amp is proving very account-draining. By comparison, a pair of GEC 6AS7G is $500 and a pair of GEC (Genalex/Gold Lion) KT88 is $1000 on a good day. Western Electric 350B's?? $1200+...

Tell me about it.

Sep 1, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #8,060 of 9,589
65FB6209-A5B9-46BC-9FFD-09526B173A81.jpeg
Need a GEC tube? I’ve got one, lightly used 😃 I’ve been wondering if I should try it in my KT88 amp…

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #8,061 of 9,589
I added one more 6520 to my collection. I knew from the pictures when purchasing it (and low price) that this one is different than my other two. My other two resemble 5998s in build, while this one looks like a 6AS7G. Still, all three are labeled 6520.

1st tube - the new arrival, solid plates, rectangular plastic pieces at the top, triangle pointed metal ends from the middle horizontal plate, so just like the 6AS7G on the extreme right (except that 6AS7G has copper? wiring on the sides of the plates)
2nd and 3rd tubes - 6520s resembling 5998s, with domino plates

Testing the sound now. Don't in any way trust me because I am a novice, but I think it's more neutral than the other two 6520s which despite looking like 5998s are warmer/bass-ier, it seems to me.

20210830_192508.jpg20210830_192533.jpg20210830_192544.jpg

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #8,062 of 9,589
To colleagues here on the topic, I'm in need of a little help.

I bought five valves on Ebay Tung-Sol 6080 and received them today.

I tested them all on my Darkvoice, but one of them started giving a kind of short inside it giving loud pops on my phone.

I immediately turned off the amplifier.

I unplugged the phone and then turned the amplifier back on.

The valve worked normally.

I plugged in the phone again and the sound was normal.

Has anyone ever witnessed something like this?

Should I discard this valve?

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #8,063 of 9,589

I tested them all on my Darkvoice, but one of them started giving a kind of short inside it giving loud pops on my phone.

My Bendix 6080WB had this issue; one of the pair did this after buying it on ebay. Who knows how many years it was in storage, its pins oxidising... I cleaned the pins with deoxit red and tried it again - been years and years of use with no pops since.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #8,064 of 9,589
My Bendix 6080WB had this issue; one of the pair did this after buying it on ebay. Who knows how many years it was in storage, its pins oxidising... I cleaned the pins with deoxit red and tried it again - been years and years of use with no pops since.

In your bandix did you get to see the short inside the tube? Or did you just hear the crackles?

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #8,065 of 9,589
In your bandix did you get to see the short inside the tube? Or did you just hear the crackles?
I heard a loud 'crack', and yeah the tube actually arced and looked like lightning in a bottle... wiser minds would tell you this overworked tube needs to be retired for good.. I'm using that pair of tubes in my amp at the moment... the worst is they occasionally hum for an hour or two in the background with no music playing.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #8,066 of 9,589

As @adeadcrab pointed out, this is not uncommon, especially with tubes that have been stored for many years. I do not recommend that you discard this valve. But I do recommend that you turn the amp on and wait 5 or 10 minutes before connecting your phones. This is enough time for the valve to heat up to its normal operating temperature and stabilize. And it is likely that you will be able to use this valve for many years.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #8,067 of 9,589
I heard a loud 'crack', and yeah the tube actually arced and looked like lightning in a bottle... wiser minds would tell you this overworked tube needs to be retired for good.. I'm using that pair of tubes in my amp at the moment... the worst is they occasionally hum for an hour or two in the background with no music playing.
As @adeadcrab pointed out, this is not uncommon, especially with tubes that have been stored for many years. I do not recommend that you discard this valve. But I do recommend that you turn the amp on and wait 5 or 10 minutes before connecting your phones. This is enough time for the valve to heat up to its normal operating temperature and stabilize. And it is likely that you will be able to use this valve for many years.
Thanks for the explanations.

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #8,068 of 9,589
I would have a differing opinion on that tube. Definitely test it first as suggested above. If you got a whole set I would stick to the other ones.

a tube sourced from eBay could have an issue. That arc could end up causing an issue with your headphones, and not worth the risk imho. Be careful.

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #8,070 of 9,589

Users who are viewing this thread

Back