For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
May 13, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #7,636 of 9,574
To be honest original post was from 2017, so maybe I was not entirely fair here. I presume some of the amp manufacturers stocked up on these heavily.
Isn't it a bit interesting that even Shuguang ones are not exactly cheap as you would have expected?

When it comes to Russian ones do you look for specific years like with Fotons or any 6N13/6N5 is sort of OK?
I don't have a lot of experience with these Russkies as I only have a couple pair. From what I understand though, any of the 1950's manufacture are preferable to later years. @Paladin79 might be able to chime in with some more useful information as I believe he has quite a bit more experience with them.

May 13, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #7,638 of 9,574
I like owning tubes and cameras that are older than me. Makes me feel young!! :smirk:

** Let's see if @bcowen can pass on this nice 'lob' post. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #7,639 of 9,574
6FCE434E-6E7D-4A5C-8DE3-C86EC7D13CF2.jpeg
I don't have a lot of experience with these Russkies as I only have a couple pair. From what I understand though, any of the 1950's manufacture are preferable to later years. @Paladin79 might be able to chime in with some more useful information as I believe he has quite a bit more experience with them.
My Russian contacts tell me there is no difference in the tubes as far as 6n5 or 6n13 but I believe the 6n5 is the older of the tube numbers. I just got some NOS from 1959 and like the sound just a bit better, I try to hang onto those. I include newer winged C's with my amps along with Foton tubes as a rule because I can still find plenty of them. It may be anticipation bias when I get Winged C's from the mid fifties and I doubt I could tell one from another in blind tests. :ksc75smile:

A newer winged C will go out with a loaner amp tomorrow, I am also including a GE 5998A, a Tung Sol black glass round plate, a Melz 1578, and a 50's Foton.

Oh yeah some of the fifties winged C's have a square getter holder with a round center, not the normal flying saucer shape.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #7,640 of 9,574
I like owning tubes and cameras that are older than me...

** Let's see if @bcowen can pass on this nice 'lob' post. :rolling_eyes:
Which would be like....none of them?

Nope, couldn't pass. :sweat_smile:

May 14, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #7,642 of 9,574
Question...I have a CEI 6080 tube that I love the sound of. Thick, meaty bass, separated and textured highs and mids...just great sounding but it has a slight whine coming from the left channel. It's enough to shut down a listening session. Some have talked about reheating the pins, can anyone give a little instruction or direct me to where I can learn more about this? I'd love to save this tube if possible. Also welcome any other ideas. Listening to it now with some Jean Luc Ponty and it does sound glorious at times. I have cleaned the pins with some emery paper. Any ideas or trash it?

May 14, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #7,643 of 9,574
If you have a soldering iron I would try adding some solder to the center of the pins as you touch the iron to the outside of each pin. Make sure the solder flows a bit inside each pin, clean off any excess and try that. If it does not help I will give some in depth advice.

May 14, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #7,644 of 9,574
Question...I have a CEI 6080 tube that I love the sound of. Thick, meaty bass, separated and textured highs and mids...just great sounding but it has a slight whine coming from the left channel. It's enough to shut down a listening session. Some have talked about reheating the pins, can anyone give a little instruction or direct me to where I can learn more about this? I'd love to save this tube if possible. Also welcome any other ideas. Listening to it now with some Jean Luc Ponty and it does sound glorious at times. I have cleaned the pins with some emery paper. Any ideas or trash it?
When was the last time you cleaned the tube socket? Easy to do as a first measure. If no help after that, then resoldering the pins as @Paladin79 noted would be the next step.

May 14, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #7,645 of 9,574
When was the last time you cleaned the tube socket? Easy to do as a first measure. If no help after that, then resoldering the pins as @Paladin79 noted would be the next step.
Amp is relatively new but I have been rolling a bunch of different tubes in it. I've cleaned the tube pins but not the socket. Is there a kit for cleaning the socket or a home remedy? never cleaned a tube socket tbh.

May 14, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #7,646 of 9,574
Amp is relatively new but I have been rolling a bunch of different tubes in it. I've cleaned the tube pins but not the socket. Is there a kit for cleaning the socket or a home remedy? never cleaned a tube socket tbh.
For an octal socket, good old fashioned pipe cleaners and plain isopropyl alcohol (but not rubbing alcohol) work well for me. Just moisten the end of the pipe cleaner and rub up and down inside each contact hole. Cut the pipe cleaners in half or thirds to economize if you wish -- you'll only be using the tip of it. Obviously be sure the amp is off (and preferably unplugged), and best to wait 15 minutes or so after turning it off to make sure capacitors are discharged. Depending on how dirty the contacts are, you might need to repeat until the tip of the pipe cleaner comes out mostly clean looking.

Just an example...smaller quantities are available:
https://www.amazon.com/Mantello-Pip...keywords=pipe+cleaners&qid=1621044707&sr=8-11

May 14, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #7,647 of 9,574

Spray a small amount of contact cleaner or Deoxit on a pipe cleaner and go to town. I have these:

1621045254083.png

1621045386433.png

May 16, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #7,649 of 9,574
Not all GEs are bad but then all 5691 are made by RCA regardless and are rebranded other names, in this case GE.

A word from the sponsor..
The RCA "Special Red" tubes (5690, 5691, 5692, 5693) were designed for 10,000 hours of use when used within their ratings. RCA claimed the 5691 tube could withstand shocks of 100 G's for extended periods of time!

The 5691 Red Base tube is a premium low noise version of the 6SL7-GT tube which I will be using in Odyssey as a single double triode driver.

IMG_2413.jpg
Can this be used instead 6as7/6080?

May 16, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #7,650 of 9,574

Users who are viewing this thread

Back