For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Aug 15, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #4,096 of 9,574
Wow you got a deal on those..
I certainly did!, nearly fell off my chair when I saw them!, think I was just very lucky, right place, right time, although I had been looking everyday for the last 8 months or so, I think if you are patient, and look everyday, there are still bargains out there to be had!.

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #4,097 of 9,574
Here is a picture of the Bendix 6080WB:
s-l500.jpg

The tubes you picture look the same. I have never come across Bendix type 6080 tubes other than WB. WC should just be a minor internal modification that should not make any difference using the tube.

Is there any possibility the Raytheon 6080WC is a mislabeled tube? It really is quite strange, the construction seems identical to Bendix

https://www.bangybang.com/collectio...080-5998-premium-power-tube-bangybang-tubes-1

This is another listing I’ve seen online of Raytheon, but it’s construction is different (no ceramic plates biggest diff), same with a listing on langrex. Anyone able to solve the mystery?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #4,100 of 9,574
Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #4,101 of 9,574
Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #4,102 of 9,574
Raytheon have always been labelled wc and Bendix wb. You want those with solid graphite plates slotted. I have not heard a Raytheon 6080wc but those pictures look identical to my Bendix 6080wb.

At that price go for it.

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #4,103 of 9,574
+ another 75$ shipping for me :)

gonna take a chance with the 6080wcs I’m being offered. Hopefully I can find a proper Bendix wb to compare it to as well.
If you click on sold items in the left hand column for the eBay page you will see this:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Bendix+6080WB&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1
One pair Raytheon graphite plates went for $73 six weeks ago. If you have patience and can wait, you may be able to pick similar deals....

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #4,104 of 9,574
Aug 16, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #4,105 of 9,574
Is there any possibility the Raytheon 6080WC is a mislabeled tube? It really is quite strange, the construction seems identical to Bendix

https://www.bangybang.com/collectio...080-5998-premium-power-tube-bangybang-tubes-1

This is another listing I’ve seen online of Raytheon, but it’s construction is different (no ceramic plates biggest diff), same with a listing on langrex. Anyone able to solve the mystery?
My father worked in the defence industry from the 1950s on and he tells me these high G tubes were made for missiles as they are not as vulnerable to a nuclear detonation EMP as a solid state electronic . Raytheon was and indeed is a very large missile manufacturer I guess they purchased the tubes from Bendix and rebranded them

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #4,106 of 9,574
My father worked in the defence industry from the 1950s on and he tells me these high G tubes were made for missiles as they are not as vulnerable to a nuclear detonation EMP as a solid state electronic . Raytheon was and indeed is a very large missile manufacturer I guess they purchased the tubes from Bendix and rebranded them

The Raytheon tubes referenced above do not have the graphite plates and are thus probably not made by Bendix. The seller, Bangybangtubes, is very high priced - a similar Raytheon pair is available today on eBay for $39 instead of $129.
Tubes with graphite plates are much heavier than tubes made with regular plates and come under several names: Tung Sol, Chatham, Bendix, Raytheon and Cetron. From what I have seen, the Cetron tubes seem to have more support rods than the same tube with the Raytheon name, even though the tubes may look the same.
You are right about vacuum tubes being more resistant to nuclear radiation than transistors - this is supposedly the reason why the Russians developed so many tubes, and we benefit from this today since very large quantities of Russian vacuum tubes are still available, even though production has ceased on some of them.
This accounts for so many new tube amps using Russian tubes. An old NOS tube may sound better in certain applications, but a tube amp manufacturer has to have a large reliable supply of tubes available, and cannot count on a couple of tubes here and there.....

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #4,107 of 9,574
The Raytheon tubes referenced above do not have the graphite plates and are thus probably not made by Bendix. The seller, Bangybangtubes, is very high priced - a similar Raytheon pair is available today on eBay for $39 instead of $129.
Tubes with graphite plates are much heavier than tubes made with regular plates and come under several names: Tung Sol, Chatham, Bendix, Raytheon and Cetron. From what I have seen, the Cetron tubes seem to have more support rods than the same tube with the Raytheon name, even though the tubes may look the same.
You are right about vacuum tubes being more resistant to nuclear radiation than transistors - this is supposedly the reason why the Russians developed so many tubes, and we benefit from this today since very large quantities of Russian vacuum tubes are still available, even though production has ceased on some of them.
This accounts for so many new tube amps using Russian tubes. An old NOS tube may sound better in certain applications, but a tube amp manufacturer has to have a large reliable supply of tubes available, and cannot count on a couple of tubes here and there.....
i don't normally put negative vibes out there but...having said that.....
i(/we) beleive banbybangtubes is oldguyradiola - i don't even consider buying anything from that seller (based on his listings)

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #4,108 of 9,574
Speaking of Raytheon 6080, here's an unusual one. At first glance, it might be mistaken for a Bendix, with the three ceramic spacers and metal bracing. But if you take a second look, you will notice that the plates are metal, not graphite. I have only this one tube, so I have no idea how it sounds.

2018-08-16 12.42.02.jpg

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #4,110 of 9,574
Speaking of Raytheon 6080, here's an unusual one. At first glance, it might be mistaken for a Bendix, with the three ceramic spacers and metal bracing. But if you take a second look, you will notice that the plates are metal, not graphite. I have only this one tube, so I have no idea how it sounds.

Gibosi,

I have a pair, did brief listening. Sound was similar to $10 regular Raytheon 6080.

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

I also have Raytheon 6080 WA, WB and WC, they look the same.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back