For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
May 8, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #3,616 of 9,574

Hi Johnny,

Yes, the heaters will always draw same amount of current in any amp (2.4A for the 5998). What we're doing with the bias mod is increase the plate/cathode current, which sets the operating point for the tubes. Again, you can read about this mod here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/782183/little-dot-mk8se-mk6-super-mods
smily_headphones1.gif

You are kidding me ST !! Your mod is comprehensive replacing pieces in the LD6...Looks great, indeed...

Well thank you kind sir! It also sounds pretty good if I say so myself. 
tongue.gif

May 8, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #3,617 of 9,574

Hi Johnny,

Yes, the heaters will always draw same amount of current in any amp (2.4A for the 5998). What we're doing with the bias mod is increase the plate/cathode current, which sets the operating point for the tubes. Again, you can read about this mod here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/782183/little-dot-mk8se-mk6-super-mods
smily_headphones1.gif

You are kidding me ST !! Your mod is comprehensive replacing pieces in the LD6...Looks great, indeed...

tongue.gif

With more plate/cathode current to the 5998...it is really a wonderful sounding tube...it sounds great to me any way....but this really sends it to another level, IMHO.

I use the switch for my 6336 tubes, also.

May 8, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #3,618 of 9,574

Hi Johnny,

smily_headphones1.gif

tongue.gif

With more plate/cathode current to the 5998...it is really a wonderful sounding tube...it sounds great to me any way....but this really sends it to another level, IMHO.

I agree, to me it's night and day difference!

I've never heard 6336 tubes though. As my amp requires four output tubes I'd need a hefty transformer for that, lol.

May 8, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #3,619 of 9,574

Hi Johnny,

smily_headphones1.gif

tongue.gif

I agree, to me it's night and day difference!

I've never heard 6336 tubes though. As my amp requires four output tubes I'd need a hefty transformer for that, lol.

Yes it would...man, that would be 20 amps....lol

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #3,620 of 9,574
I bought a Tung-Sol 7236 a while back but only one channel worked, so it's been sitting in my tube collection as merely a museum piece. I recently ordered two more, and to familiarize myself with the sound, I listened to the defective one with only one channel. After about 15 mins, the defective channel started producing a little sound. If the right was at 100%, the left was around 15%. After 20 mins, both channels are now at 100%! Anyone else have this experience of one channel taking its time waking up from hibernation?

Jun 3, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #3,621 of 9,574
Never seen that before, but now that you say it i have a Mullard 6080 rolling around my desk with one dead channel, wonder if it can be resuscitated too.  One side measures really strong, but the other has zero output, zip, nada.

Jun 3, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #3,622 of 9,574
  Never seen that before, but now that you say it i have a Mullard 6080 rolling around my desk with one dead channel, wonder if it can be resuscitated too.  One side measures really strong, but the other has zero output, zip, nada.

Yeah, I hope your Mullard turns out to be okay! Give it a try!

Jun 3, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #3,623 of 9,574
  I bought a Tung-Sol 7236 a while back but only one channel worked, so it's been sitting in my tube collection as merely a museum piece. I recently ordered two more, and to familiarize myself with the sound, I listened to the defective one with only one channel. After about 15 mins, the defective channel started producing a little sound. If the right was at 100%, the left was around 15%. After 20 mins, both channels are now at 100%! Anyone else have this experience of one channel taking its time waking up from hibernation?

Have you cleaned the pins sometimes its all the tube needs 

Jun 3, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #3,625 of 9,574
Jun 3, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #3,626 of 9,574
I fixed an old RCA 6AS7G before that was dead..... held a soldering iron on all of the pins on the tube and  "tada"....it worked.......my dad showed me that when i was a kid and bothering him in his tv shop.

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #3,627 of 9,574
  I fixed an old RCA 6AS7G before that was dead..... held a soldering iron on all of the pins on the tube and  "tada"....it worked.......my dad showed me that when i was a kid and bothering him in his tv shop.

Interesting. But what does the soldering iron do that fixes the tube?

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #3,628 of 9,574

Interesting. But what does the soldering iron do that fixes the tube?

The tube had a little bit of a loose base and I put a soldering iron on each pin to make sure the wires going to the pins were not loose and apparently one or more were.

Then I applied clear finger nail polish to the tube where the glass and base come together to secure the base to the tube.

Tube is still working.

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #3,630 of 9,574
I am conteplating getting a pair of Philco 6AS7G (believe 50's). These are made by RCA and would therefore sound exactly the same, or should I look for another pair? Budget could be stretched to $150 for a better pair if available.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back