For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Sep 27, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2,761 of 9,574
  Very nice looking WA22. The DV is a boy wonder. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 I'm getting Elise next month, same tubes compliments as DV but twice as many.
Don't you think your picture would have look nicer with these? Just kidding.
bigsmile_face.gif
 I'm sure your sound is awesome.

biggrin.gif
You prick!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
No. I am done with that itch. GE's are fine. I do have one set of Mullards (out of six tubes) that are quiet. I will use them one day.

Mullard6080 are dead quiet in my amp....just threw in the Chatham 6AS7G to see if they are as quiet, and I am glad to report that they indeed are.

Yeah, don't worry about noisy tubes. It is my amp. A noisy power tube circuit. Only happens on some brands of tubes.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #2,762 of 9,574
5998 are the ones that really stands out for me but then I've not heard the 421A or GEC 6AS7G and I probably won't at the outrageous price they are going for.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #2,763 of 9,574
I'm anxious to hear what others who own ecc31's are saying I'd sure like to give them a try not nearly as pricey as the GEC 6as7g's..

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #2,764 of 9,574
I'm sure Hypnos1 and Gibosi will give their impressions on the ECC31 driver tubes. They love it. I am waiting for a pair to arrive for the Elise.

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #2,771 of 9,574
With the HD-650s the Mullards had certain glowing liquid qualities in the mids that none of the others quite had.  But for lots of music it just turned into rich warm-soup.  It was fun... & I like soup - but probably not all the time. It could sound too slow.  Noticeably rolled at both ends but nice texture in the middle.  Lovely with intimate, organic sounding music with limited number of real instruments and a very small dynamic range.  More complex bass-lines could sound quite muddled.  Lacking in precision & definition.  Thick.  Air, detail and separation is sacrificed in favour of a mid-centric experience.  Luscious & smokey.  Juicy.  But Soft as hell.  Compromises the 650s technical abilities.  I quite like it though. 

GEC 6AS7/A1834 -  seemed to be a more complete & dynamic tube.  Less warm but still presents a good dose of the classic sound. Sharper resolution, faster & a more even tonal balance from top to bottom.  However,  since they cost almost as much as the amp I am using, I think the value in my case is probably pretty questionable.  

I feel they offer a slightly different experience to the GEC 6080. The 6AS7G seems to have a grander scale and solidity to the notes.  It sounds very pure, natural & unfiltered to me.  The GEC 6080 is perhaps marginally more restrained, delicate, but has some imaging prowess that might even be better than the big bottle.  In comparing the two GECs, If someone wasn't wild about the 6080, I probably wouldn't recommend the 6AS7G - they are most definitely from the same stable.  Probably safe to skip it. 

For me - all the above NOS British tubes are on the warm side of the track, and I would choose something US (or Soviet) e.g. the 5998, Winged-C, Bendix, or Tung-Sol 6080 for a sound that is drier but with more impact & bite - if that’s your thing.  These might also allow a greater impact & range of choices with driver tube / headphone changes too.

This is with Rega Dac / Stock-Crack / HD-650 / Mullard CV4003 as driver. 

YMMV and all that jazz. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #2,773 of 9,574
  Which gets more playtime. The Crack or the Wa7.

Probably the former.  The WA7 has a better handle on all the technicalities and sounds like a more mature amp but I just find the Crack more enjoyable with the HD-650s specifically.  The synergy is magical.   To be honest, It's hard to be objective about the Crack - it was as much about challenging myself as it was having a good amp at the end of it all.  Unless you need to be super-objective for a review, I think it all probably contributes to the listening experience.

The WA7 was nice with the LCD-2s but I've discovered I just don't have the neck-stamina for Audezes, unfortunately :)

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #2,774 of 9,574

Probably the former.  The WA7 has a better handle on all the technicalities and sounds like a more mature amp but I just find the Crack more enjoyable with the HD-650s specifically.  The synergy is magical.   To be honest, It's hard to be objective about the Crack - it was as much about challenging myself as it was having a good amp at the end of it all.  Unless you need to be super-objective for a review, I think it all probably contributes to the listening experience.

The WA7 was nice with the LCD-2s but I've discovered I just don't have the neck-stamina for Audezes, unfortunately :)

James wait to you get the Speedball  those film caps and the choke all fitted in your Crack I suspect your really going to like the results.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back