For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Apr 16, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #1,126 of 9,574
That's for sure the Russian tube, although it may well have been legitimately rebranded by Mullard. Nonetheless it's a rip off for the price!

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #1,130 of 9,574
Chatham? you mean bendix or tung sol I suppose

My bendix 6080wb graphite plates was also branded as chatham..so i am guessing they made a series or rebranded a series of bendix into chatham..but they a bit higher then the original bendix..larger if u can say that..but they sound absolutely wonderful..i preferred those tubes over my 5998's tungsols.
And those are just as expensive as the bendix branded tubes...as they are sold as bendix tubes.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #1,132 of 9,574
I have a feeling Chatham was either a subsidiary or was brought out by Tung-sol at some point I have also read that all the 6080wb graphite plate tubes were Bendix made and rebranded by the above and sometimes its the other way round so not sure for certain myself. They are interesting high quality tubes for sure.

The ones I have tried tend to make a few strange noises initially when heating up I am not sure if this was because they were genuine nos or not as this has improved considerably with use or just a feature of the graphite plates. I always wait a few minutes now after turning on before plugging my phones in because it scared the life out of me the first time I heard them arc. Once up to temperature they work perfectly.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #1,133 of 9,574
I have a feeling Chatham was either a subsidiary or was brought out by Tung-sol at some point I have also read that all the 6080wb graphite plate tubes were Bendix made and rebranded by the above and sometimes its the other way round so not sure for certain myself. They are interesting high quality tubes for sure.

The ones I have tried tend to make a few strange noises initially when heating up I am not sure if this was because they were genuine nos or not as this has improved considerably with use or just a feature of the graphite plates. I always wait a few minutes now after turning on before plugging my phones in because it scared the life out of me the first time I heard them arc. Once up to temperature they work perfectly.
when heating up my bendix/chatham did a crackling sound like a racing engine does when u race it hard..i loved that cracking sound..same thing when the rubes where cooling down...loved it.

But no noise in the headphone in the headphone..totally silent! Mine were also NOS and matched pair.

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #1,135 of 9,574
  thank you guys for all the info and btw, I don't get why these chathams/bendix or wherever are expensive...they sound barely different from the chinesse tubes

I wonder if you have the genuine article then.  I own a pair of Hytron branded 6080WB graphite column tubes and sound wise these come just after my 5998, really different from the rest of the 6080* tubes I own, not subtle at all.  Only problem is that they're very hard to find, I got lucky and paid 100 EUR/pair but though I've been looking around for a second pair, no luck in finding them at any price lately.

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #1,136 of 9,574
I wonder if you have the genuine article then.  I own a pair of Hytron branded 6080WB graphite column tubes and sound wise these come just after my 5998, really different from the rest of the 6080* tubes I own, not subtle at all.  Only problem is that they're very hard to find, I got lucky and paid 100 EUR/pair but though I've been looking around for a second pair, no luck in finding them at any price lately.

I agree with u..my pair of 6080wb sounded close to the 5998.. But are very hard to get.. And expensive! For me the 6080wb got most of the playing time paired with the TS sj7gt mesh plates..a pair in heaven! Especially with the he500 i had with the opengrill mod and the modulor pads...so i sold the 5998's but kept the rca 5693 red hots..there is something special about those affordable tubes paired with a 6080wb or 5998!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back