For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Apr 25, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #7,591 of 9,574
My amp is a Monoprice Monolith tube headphone amp using a single 6AS7G\6080 tube and a pair of 6N3P drivers. I really enjoy this amp and most tubes play nice in it but I do have an issue where one of my favorite tubes, a CEI 6080, will sound glorious and then make a sound like ffffffffffffff then a little crackling static sound then smooth out again. (I hope that description wasn't too technical.) :smirk:

Anyone here know if this is related to the CEI tube itself, the driver tubes or the amp? A couple other tubes I have make noise as soon as headphones are plugged in but this CEI is dead quiet then the little static issue then back to silent. It can screw up an otherwise fantastic listening session...

Apr 25, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #7,593 of 9,574
My amp is a Monoprice Monolith tube headphone amp using a single 6AS7G\6080 tube and a pair of 6N3P drivers. I really enjoy this amp and most tubes play nice in it but I do have an issue where one of my favorite tubes, a CEI 6080, will sound glorious and then make a sound like ffffffffffffff then a little crackling static sound then smooth out again. (I hope that description wasn't too technical.) :smirk:

Anyone here know if this is related to the CEI tube itself, the driver tubes or the amp? A couple other tubes I have make noise as soon as headphones are plugged in but this CEI is dead quiet then the little static issue then back to silent. It can screw up an otherwise fantastic listening session...

It is likely the tube itself. The first thing I think you should try is to thoroughly clean the pins. I use 220 grit sandpaper. If that doesn't work, a number of folks have had good luck reheating the pins with a soldering iron in order reflow the solder inside the pin. And it may just be that the tube is defective resulting in an intermittent internal connection.

May 8, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #7,595 of 9,574
In my limited time with my BHC Speedy and my very modest selection of power tubes, I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know each of the three pictured below.

latWqQqh.jpg

I find it really hard to choose between the three (the good news is that I don't have to. I can enjoy all three!), but I have noted some differences: The Chatham 6AS7G is bold, thick in the bass/sub-bass, and very warm sounding. It is a great GREAT all-around tube. The GEC is the most detailed, has the soundstage thing going, as the instrument separation is so superb. It does not have the deep bass extension, but it makes up for it with definition, crisp & brilliant high end, and again, the amazing soundstage and separation of instruments. So incredibly clear! The Bendix is somewhat between the two and has a good amount of warmth and very nice soundstage, though not as much as the GEC. Over the past month, I think the GEC fits the bill for me. It's a very close race between these three however! I'm using ZMF Auteur (teak) cans, an RME ADI-2 DAC, and listening to prog rock lossless files, and an RCA clear top driver, if any of that matters. This exploration of tubes with my music is sheer joy that I struggle to convey verbally.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #7,596 of 9,574
In my limited time with my BHC Speedy and my very modest selection of power tubes, I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know each of the three pictured below.

latWqQqh.jpg

I find it really hard to choose between the three (the good news is that I don't have to. I can enjoy all three!), but I have noted some differences: The Chatham 6AS7G is bold, thick in the bass/sub-bass, and very warm sounding. It is a great GREAT all-around tube. The GEC is the most detailed, has the soundstage thing going, as the instrument separation is so superb. It does not have the deep bass extension, but it makes up for it with definition, crisp & brilliant high end, and again, the amazing soundstage and separation of instruments. So incredibly clear! The Bendix is somewhat between the two and has a good amount of warmth and very nice soundstage, though not as much as the GEC. Over the past month, I think the GEC fits the bill for me. It's a very close race between these three however! I'm using ZMF Auteur (teak) cans, an RME ADI-2 DAC, and listening to prog rock lossless files, and an RCA clear top driver, if any of that matters. This exploration of tubes with my music is sheer joy that I struggle to convey verbally.
That’s a nice problem to have my friend, you have definitely chosen wisely with your selection of power tubes.
What drivers do you prefer?
For 12AU7 I am currently using a new issue Genelex ECC82 or an off brand Mullard 12AU7 with good synergy with the tubes you mention.
I’ve yet to install the speedball so I assume more good things are about to come.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #7,597 of 9,574

latWqQqh.jpg

Nice! Those are great tubes

The RME is a very good DAC with plenty of features, I enjoy listening to music with it and my BH C2A. Then I got myself a tube DAC, and the synergy between the the amp and the DAC is much much better according to my ears. However, that’s another topic for another time/thread lol (and of course, another rabbit hole).

May 9, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #7,598 of 9,574

latWqQqh.jpg

Congrats on those. Fantastic tubes.
At some point maybe add 5998 and Mullard 6080 and call it a day on power tubes...or if not you are still good maybe just add anRCA6080.
Then roll those with your favorite driver tubes and enjoy the music :)

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #7,599 of 9,574
That’s a nice problem to have my friend, you have definitely chosen wisely with your selection of power tubes.
What drivers do you prefer?
For 12AU7 I am currently using a new issue Genelex ECC82 or an off brand Mullard 12AU7 with good synergy with the tubes you mention.
I’ve yet to install the speedball so I assume more good things are about to come.
Thanks- I have about zero experience with drivers. The BHC came stock with a GE, which was promptly swapped for a clear top RCA. This came highly recommended from some fellow members on this thread and they were correct- it’s a great driver tube. Thanks for the recommendation on the Genelex and Mullard!

May 9, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #7,600 of 9,574
Congrats on those. Fantastic tubes.
At some point maybe add 5998 and Mullard 6080 and call it a day on power tubes...or if not you are still good maybe just add anRCA6080.
Then roll those with your favorite driver tubes and enjoy the music :)
The 5998 can be Tung Sol and the GE 5998a (!). The latter may be a surprise to you: it really is very good (I own four of them).

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #7,602 of 9,574
May 10, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #7,603 of 9,574
The 5998 can be Tung Sol and the GE 5998a (!). The latter may be a surprise to you: it really is very good (I own four of them).
I own a couple of 5998A tubes, but to be honest it is no where near the domino plate tube.

May 10, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #7,605 of 9,574
I own a couple of 5998A tubes, but to be honest it is no where near the domino plate tube.
I fully agree! For me, even the RCA 6as7g is better than the GE 5998A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back