Dec 8, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #6,646 of 9,574
I HAVE CREATED FIRE...
giphy.gif

2020-12-08 16.54.22-2.jpg2020-12-08 16.54.08-2.jpg
Nice job 👏

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #6,648 of 9,574
I HAVE CREATED FIRE...
giphy.gif

That amp is still a favorite. Some of my early work with tulip poplar but that piece had some spalting that I tried to match with inlaid ebony and ebony splines. I still have the associated meter box, in it I attempted to wrap the meters with ebony a bit, just the opposite of the dual pots. I also used tiger maple top and bottom on the meter box. Often I will pick up a board and know what the amp will be, it is a simple process most of the time.

.ST Sylvanias.jpg

.meter box.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #6,649 of 9,574
That amp is still a favorite. Some of my early work with tulip poplar but that piece had some spalting that I tried to match with inlaid ebony and ebony splines. I still have the associated meter box, in it I attempted to wrap the meters with ebony a bit, just the opposite of the dual pots. I also used tiger maple top and bottom on the meter box. Often I will pick up a board and know what the amp will be, it is a simple process most of the time.

.ST Sylvanias.jpg

.meter box.jpg
The dual volume knobs was a HUGE help today.. HUGE...

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #6,650 of 9,574
The dual volume knobs was a HUGE help today.. HUGE...
I use them on my personal amps and prefer them. Tubes can vary a bit on each channel and it is a way of compensating, also the ability to hear each channel equally becomes a factor with some people. Sorry for being self-centered but I am fairly proud of that amp. :)

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #6,651 of 9,574

.ST Sylvanias.jpg

.meter box.jpg

Oh fine. Just fine. I invented Tiger maple, so what do *I* get for a chassis? Balsa. Or is it masonite? Harrumph.

:tired_face: :tired_face: :tired_face: :tired_face:

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #6,652 of 9,574

.ST Sylvanias.jpg

.meter box.jpg

In the top pic, is that a pair of #76?

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #6,653 of 9,574
Oh fine. Just fine. I invented Tiger maple, so what do *I* get for a chassis? Balsa. Or is it masonite? Harrumph.

:tired_face: :tired_face: :tired_face: :tired_face:
I overspent on yours, it is double wall cardboard, I just could not get the single wall to support the weight. I believe you invented the sideways amp, I believe park rangers are paid to keep you away from trees. As I recall you borrowed my idea for mini shelves and had the dumb luck to buy some tiger maple to complete your nefarious plan.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #6,654 of 9,574
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #6,656 of 9,574
I overspent on yours, it is double wall cardboard, I just could not get the single wall to support the weight. I believe you invented the sideways amp, I believe park rangers are paid to keep you away from trees.

Everyone knows Amazon boxes are single wall. Even without opening it up ('cause I promised not to) I can tell. You must have used a lot of glue. :grin:

But just wait until I finish the new chassis out of virgin unobtanium. With flashing LED's. And a fountain.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #6,657 of 9,574
Everyone knows Amazon boxes are single wall. Even without opening it up ('cause I promised not to) I can tell. You must have used a lot of glue. :grin:

But just wait until I finish the new chassis out of virgin unobtanium. With flashing LED's. And a fountain.
Yikes are you really going for trailer park chic? My hat is off to you, well it would be if I were wearing one, just pretend dammit.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #6,658 of 9,574
Yikes are you really going for trailer park chic? My hat is off to you, well it would be if I were wearing one, just pretend dammit.

Oh please. The current (and PC) nomenclature is Relocatable Domicile Estates. I *did* take the wheels off as they were creating some weird resonance with the Bifrost 2. Go figure. :grin:

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #6,659 of 9,574
Well one might consider the #76 to be a predecessor. :)
I am sure you are right, I am gaining a lot of respect for your tube knowledge.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #6,660 of 9,574
I overspent on yours, it is double wall cardboard, I just could not get the single wall to support the weight. I believe you invented the sideways amp, I believe park rangers are paid to keep you away from trees. As I recall you borrowed my idea for mini shelves and had the dumb luck to buy some tiger maple to complete your nefarious plan.

Maybe you could up the quality a bit and make his amp out of strand board? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back