For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Jun 26, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #4,801 of 9,589
Interesting 24 hours, as I received Thomson 6080's (1980) and tried with various drivers in my Feliks-Audio Elise. Clearly, the description on page 1 of this thread that 6080's have wide stage is true...pretty cool but with some music it almost felt unnaturally wide. The overall tonality was very pleasing, bass nice and tuneful, mids lush if not quite forward enough, but the thing I couldn't get past was somewhat rolled of treble. I may offer these up for sale but am interested in the experience of others. Is this pleasing but too polite treble a 6080 trait or might a Mullard, Tung-Sol or other manufacturer add just a bit o'sparkle without crossing over into fatiguing sibilance. I know Bendix are highly regarded but they are PRICEY...worth it?

Anyway, for now it's back to my Genalex Gold Lion new production KT88's with an 6AS7G adapter. Stage a bit lacking compared to the Thomson 6080 but frequencies just right across the spectrum. Suggestions for my next 6080 venture would be appreciated!
Mullards are probably the warmest 6080 out there, major treble roll off... might be an inherited thing with 6080s

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #4,802 of 9,589
You grabbed them!! L O L.. wow impressions please!!! NICE!

I sure will...if I ever get them. They're swirling within the USPS black hole right now, unfortunately. :frowning2:

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #4,803 of 9,589
Mullards are probably the warmest 6080 out there, major treble roll off... might be an inherited thing with 6080s
This is might be true, except for the one and only Bendix 6080WB Graphite Plate. Absolutely, no roll off on either end with the Bendix 6080WB.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #4,804 of 9,589

Hmmmm.... I'm sure there are many variations of the Mullard 6080 as with most other manufacturers, but the one I have I wouldn't describe as having major treble roll off. Soft? Yes. I'd probably describe it more as 'friendly' and being very easy on the ears, but it still has detail and air and delicacy up top. Warm sounding overall to be sure though. Maybe I just lucked out and got a good version. Too, the partnering tube is critical. I didn't like the ribbed Foton 6N8S with the Cetron 7236 at all -- just too aggressive and almost fatiguing in the treble. But the Foton sounds very nice with the Mullard as do the Pinnacle (Russian) 6J5's. The round plate Tung Sol 6J5's also partner well. I can imagine that a warm sounding 6SN7 (or variant) like a gray glass RCA would be a definite 'not good' partner for the Mullard, but a more treble-forward (or even slightly aggressive) driver tube can make the Mullard I have sound quite good. To be totally upfront though I'm (personally) more interested in a treble presentation that is easy to listen to and never fatiguing. I don't want something that's obviously rolled or shelved off, but I'll give up a little extension and uber-detail for something I can listen to all day without any hint of fatigue or aggression. And then there are some that will suggest that my normal listening fare isn't really even music anyway. :)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #4,806 of 9,589
I agree with @bcowen , I wouldn't describe Mulluard 6080 as having major treble roll-off either (maybe I have a different version too :thinking:). Warm? For sure, Mullard is famous for being warm :beyersmile:. I will say Mullard 6080 has a very delicate balanced sound, smooth mids and warm, a very easy going tube for long listening sessions.
Works well with bright headphones 👍 Beyerdynamic, and maybe Grado.

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #4,807 of 9,589
My Tung-sol 7236 crackle sometimes when warming up but the key is it's gone by 1 or2 minutes, rarely recurs, so I don't worry about it.
Well...I was thinking it was just my amp that behaved like this... same here, few of my tubes snap crackle and pop sometimes. Could be (and mentioned before here and there, which thread is this... o.O) anyways...could be dirty pins,dirty sockets, both? or just electrons settling inside the tube and the amp.

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #4,808 of 9,589
Well...I was thinking it was just my amp that behaved like this... same here, few of my tubes snap crackle and pop sometimes. Could be (and mentioned before here and there, which thread is this... o.O) anyways...could be dirty pins,dirty sockets, both? or just electrons settling inside the tube and the amp.

Perhaps you should stop sourcing your tubes from boxes of Rice Krispies. :) :)

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #4,810 of 9,589
It never hurts to re-flow solder in tube pins if cleaning the pins and sockets does not help. If the symptom returns later, replacing solder is another option. I fixed a winged C yesterday by replacing solder.

Oh yeah and a Russian friend explained 6h5c and 6h13C are the same tube. The former is an earlier version of the same tube and sometimes more sought after but they are identical. I own a bunch of each and I can tell no difference.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #4,812 of 9,589
Ordered a couple of 7236 tubes from the store on Etsy, but there’s been no updates on my order for two weeks, still saying not shipped, and I get no response on my messages to the seller. Just in case anyone else thought about ordering...
Getting weirdest as the weeks go by, I had to have eBay intervene on a purchase, and not the sellers fault. He lost a tube, but seems like he keeps the monies and I get a refund. Ebay ate that one.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #4,813 of 9,589
Ordered a couple of 7236 tubes from the store on Etsy, but there’s been no updates on my order for two weeks, still saying not shipped, and I get no response on my messages to the seller. Just in case anyone else thought about ordering...

I really think that is the same guy that was selling Cetron 7236 tubes on eBay since the eBay listing pic and Etsy pic were the same. Last I saw he had his whole lot up for sale (qty 60) and it seems when he sold pulled all his 1 and 2 tube listings. I think that Etsy was not his primary venue and he has forgotten to pull the listing. It's probably an orphan.

Have they taken money for the Etsy sale or is it just hanging in la-la land?

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #4,814 of 9,589
I really think that is the same guy that was selling Cetron 7236 tubes on eBay since the eBay listing pic and Etsy pic were the same. Last I saw he had his whole lot up for sale (qty 60) and it seems when he sold pulled all his 1 and 2 tube listings. I think that Etsy was not his primary venue and he has forgotten to pull the listing. It's probably an orphan.

Have they taken money for the Etsy sale or is it just hanging in la-la land?
Yeah, I think it’s the same guy. The payment has gone through, so I sent a new message today asking for any info. If I don’t get a response in a couple of days I’ll just file a case with Etsy.

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #4,815 of 9,589
someone already posted it but this has been in my bookmarks for a while, once you start buying tubes you don't stop...

https://tubeworldexpress.com/collections/power-tubes/7236

$200 AUD a pair, a hi-fi store in Australia is selling matched pairs for $240 AUD with free shipping, so I might check them out if you all buy the stock from tubeworldexpress :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back