For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Aug 30, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #4,141 of 9,574
AJ1 suggests that they have the same construction. They conform to the first revision. That is, when the tube was first introduced, it was AJ0. The first revision is AJ1. To my ears, all AJ1 sound the same. And so there is no difference in sound between 60s and 70s production.

Here is the key to Philips production codes:

https://frank.pocnet.net/other/Philips/PhilipsCodeListAB.pdf.

R7K1 is likely the first week of November, 1967. R8H4 is likely the fourth week of August, 1968. And the third tube can be dated according to the CV code:. Z = 1968 and J = September.

https://www.tubecollector.org/cv-valves.htm

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #4,142 of 9,574
AJ1 suggests that they have the same construction. They conform to the first revision. That is, when the tube was first introduced, it was AJ0. The first revision is AJ1. To my ears, all AJ1 sound the same. And so there is no difference in sound between 60s and 70s production.

Here is the key to Philips production codes:

https://frank.pocnet.net/other/Philips/PhilipsCodeListAB.pdf.

R7K1 is likely the first week of November, 1967. R8H4 is likely the fourth week of August, 1968. And the third tube can be dated according to the CV code:. Z = 1968 and J = September.

https://www.tubecollector.org/cv-valves.htm

Thank you for the detailed response!

Sep 5, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #4,144 of 9,574
For those who enjoy the NOS Chatham JAN 6AS7G Clear Tops, I just picked up a matched pair from Dale @ VacuumTubes.net for $40. They are an incredible bargain at that price.

Sep 6, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #4,145 of 9,574
For everyone currently hunting for tubes, avoid shipping through the eBay GSP program at all costs. I just had a pair of mullard 6080 and a gec 6as7g seized by customs; my purchase was refunded, but they won’t be giving the items back to the seller either. Rare tubes lost forever; I’ve heard a few other sellers suffer the same loss too. Never had a trouble with any other shipping option until this one. Really sad :frowning2:

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #4,147 of 9,574
Thanks, bought the last pair today.

Mine actually showed up today. My other pair are the clear top Chatham branded tubes, but this time I got the Tung Sol branded tubes, which I believe means they date to when Tung Sol either took over the Chatham factory or bought up Chatham tubes and re-branded them. Either way, great sounding tubes for $40!

Sep 6, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #4,148 of 9,574
For everyone currently hunting for tubes, avoid shipping through the eBay GSP program at all costs. I just had a pair of mullard 6080 and a gec 6as7g seized by customs; my purchase was refunded, but they won’t be giving the items back to the seller either. Rare tubes lost forever; I’ve heard a few other sellers suffer the same loss too. Never had a trouble with any other shipping option until this one. Really sad :frowning2:

Agreed. I refuse to purchase from any vendor using GSP. Bureaucratic bumbling at its worst. :frowning2:

Sep 6, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #4,150 of 9,574
I had a pair of Russian tubes disappear in the US customs, and I could never find out what happened to them - no answers to numerous inquires.
Luckily I got a refund from eBay.
Somebody suggested that the tubes were seized because the getter flash looks like mercury which is a forbidden substance to ship, but this could just be a joke - don't know.

Sep 6, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #4,151 of 9,574
Won the bid for a GEC u52. Delivery by GSP but it was never delivered and was returned to UK.

Got my refund but missed out on a beautiful rectifier. Don’t know when I will get that tube again.

Sep 6, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #4,152 of 9,574
Won the bid for a GEC u52. Delivery by GSP but it was never delivered and was returned to UK.

Got my refund but missed out on a beautiful rectifier. Don’t know when I will get that tube again.
I assume that GSP means global shipping program. When looking for tubes from the UK, the shipping cost to the US via the global program could be 3-4 times higher than regular shipping. Why is that, and what is the point of the global program?

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #4,154 of 9,574
I assume that GSP means global shipping program. When looking for tubes from the UK, the shipping cost to the US via the global program could be 3-4 times higher than regular shipping. Why is that, and what is the point of the global program?

The story I hear is that GSP gives the eBay seller more protection when shipping internationally. So evidently, it is good for the seller, but often terrible for the buyer. Again, I always check the shipping tab and if I see GSP, I refuse to bid.

Sep 7, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #4,155 of 9,574
Mine's a similar story, bought nice pair of TS 7236, posted under GSP and never got past US customs. What I don't understand is why does so much get stopped at customs under GSP?.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back