For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Mar 19, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,831 of 9,574
  It is my understanding that getting quiet 6AS7's can be a crap shoot.....I am new to these tubes, so I really can not confirm that.....I am just hoping to get some quiet one's myself.

Those Chathams you just got are gold. So rock solid. I have never heard anything wrong with them. Plus I really like the sound.

I thought about just waiting for each auction of those to come up (they come up rarely) and then grab each time. We might be in competition dude.
redface.gif

However I think I'm to impatient and just want to buy a bulk lot that are quiet.

I will give those Thompson's a test next. Buy 4 and test. They work then I will buy 20.

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #1,832 of 9,574
I had a intermittent noise a while back that was driving me nuts after about a week of pulling my hair out I worked out it was a electric oil filled radiator in different room in the house, every time its thermostat tripped it on it caused a low level background buzzzzz 20-30mins later it would trip off and the buzz was gone. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #1,833 of 9,574
  I had a intermittent noise a while back that was driving me nuts after about a week of pulling my hair out I worked out it was a electric oil filled radiator in different room in the house, every time its thermostat tripped it on it caused a low level background buzzzzz 20-30mins later it would trip off and the buzz was gone. 

Yeah that happens. I really don't think it is interference or else all tubes would be doing it. Crikey my 6F8G wires would be going nutz.

The fact that I have quiet tubes suggest to me it is not the system but the tubes themselves.

I will run the test tho. I will stick in a noisy set and move the amp somewhere else.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #1,834 of 9,574
I have quite a few noisy 6as7g tubes mostly RCA , around 30% of my collection have noise and micro-phonics
Generally 6080 type are much more reliable I have six and all are good
Just scored a nos GEC 6080 for $20 inc shipping
I wonder how often we bid against each other , I was the $49.50 bid on those Chathams BTW

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #1,835 of 9,574
Do you guys in the US bid on UK auctions?

Being in New Zealand it makes no difference to me which country to buy from. All auctions have expensive freight. UK being a little bit cheaper than the US.

Point is there is some good stuff in the UK as well.
wink.gif
I probably shouldn't be telling.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #1,837 of 9,574
  I am in Aus so like you I will bid on anything that will ship OS
That GEC I just bought is shipping from Germany

I would love to get my hands on a set. Post a pic when you get mate.
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #1,838 of 9,574
Mar 19, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,840 of 9,574

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEC-6080-Mullard-6080-tube-valve-TESTED-/121599457682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4fe47992

Both nice sounding quiet tubes £0.99p start I have some others listed as well and if I can bring my self to let them go there could be some NOS WE421a's in original box's and packing and GEC 6AS7G round bases up for grabs but just cant seem to bring myself to list them at the moment.

I looked at that auction 10 minutes before you posted. Tell us if or when you list the others.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #1,841 of 9,574
I wonder if this was ok purchase. I paid $30 shipped for
1 5998 TUNG-SOL 1950's Hi Fi Amplifier Tube Date Code 322451-3 
Tube Tested on a TV-7D/U Tester
40 is Minimum
Tube Tests 54-52
There are a few small pieces of loose glass inside of the tube, but this does not effect the performance.

I figured it could be a back up for my current one I use now even though it tests lowish it would be an ok backup for $30.

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #1,842 of 9,574

Yeah that happens. I really don't think it is interference or else all tubes would be doing it. Crikey my 6F8G wires would be going nutz.

The fact that I have quiet tubes suggest to me it is not the system but the tubes themselves.

I will run the test tho. I will stick in a noisy set and move the amp somewhere else.

Well. I did the test.

I think I owe some members apologies and thanks.

Sorry and Thanks.
redface.gif

I moved my amp with noisy power tubes in. They weren't 100% quiet but a lot lot better.

When I re placed my amp back on the rack I noticed the signal cables (balanced XLR) and the Woo power cable were on top each other.
With the amp power on with noisy tubes and headphones plugged in it was producing the noise again. I reached back and just moved the power cable.

Instantly in went quiet.

So you guys were correct. I feel like a fool.

Most of my previously noisy tubes are now dead quiet. A few others have drastically reduced noise levels. They are still detectable but tolerable.

Thanks Guys.

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,843 of 9,574

Well. I did the test.

I think I owe some members apologies and thanks.

Sorry and Thanks.
redface.gif

I moved my amp with noisy power tubes in. They weren't 100% quiet but a lot lot better.

When I re placed my amp back on the rack I noticed the signal cables (balanced XLR) and the Woo power cable were on top each other.
With the amp power on with noisy tubes and headphones plugged in it was producing the noise again. I reached back and just moved the power cable.

Instantly in went quiet.

So you guys were correct. I feel like a fool.

Most of my previously noisy tubes are now dead quiet. A few others have drastically reduced noise levels. They are still detectable but tolerable.

Thanks Guys.

Hey that's great result, well done for persevering with it. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,845 of 9,574
If you carry out a life test, then you'll have a better idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back