Foobar2000 vs iTunes
Oct 13, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #46 of 85
I think this comes down to which OS one uses. If you use, Apple OSX, as I do, then the choice is clear, iTunes. If not, then I agree that Foobar is the way to go. I have to say that I chose a Mac Mini as my music server because of how much I like the integration of all the software and hardware, including the ipod and iphone/itouch and because it is very small, versitale, and silent. To me, Apple is doing some brilliant engineering work.

The optical drive in the Mini is subpar, but otherwise, the computer works flawlessly. OSX, so far, is fast and does not crash with iTunes or any other software. iTunes has a nice GUI and does everything well except manage classical albums and compilations. Classical is not my main genre and with a little work, one can work around its file management limitations. I appreciate that Apple does seem to slowly but surely improve iTunes, but I see too much emphasis on the iTunes store.

All and all, for a turnkey system, it is hard to beat and so far no one has.

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #47 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this comes down to which OS one uses. If you use, Apple OSX, as I do, then the choice is clear, iTunes. If not, then I agree that Foobar is the way to go.

x2

iTunes is a totally different experience on Mac OS X than on MS Windows. Stability, system integration, extendibility, ...

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #48 of 85
In some ways, yes, you can't retain tags when converting but eh DC_Bass directshow filter lets one playback ALAC and AAC no problem in MC.

DC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except for AAC and ALAC. MC falls down there.

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #49 of 85
I guess, if you want to wait half a year to import your 50K tracks in iTunes.

Can't find the post, but J. River had one recent test library import 4 million tracks in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm not telling anyone to switch OS's, but if your on Windows, do your self a favor and e x p l o r e the options out there.

DC

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether you have 80 or 80 million tracks organising is the same.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #50 of 85
i have been using j river media jukebox for over a year now and have never looked back. brilliant stuff. itunes is cool, but definitely not as good for someone who doesn't buy apple products.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #52 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcilantro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and Jukebox is free. The full version has lib. server, transcoding, etc.

DC

I am going to have to check out the full version.

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #53 of 85
Quote:

I'm not telling anyone to switch OS's, but if your on Windows, do your self a favor and e x p l o r e the options out there.

DC

This is exactly what I am doing. I still am not even closed to convinced to switching off iTunes yet.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #54 of 85
I use Foobar because all of my music is wav. When I add my 760GB music folder (all wav. EAC rips) to itunes, I have to take the album, highlight all the songs on that album, right click, manually type in artist, album artist, and album, just so it will group them together.
Then, If I was to move my music folder to another hard drive, I would have to do it all over again. MP3's are fine but I don't use MP3's.

Foobar works awesome, no editing involved. It organizes it just like my music folder.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #55 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by brown274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Foobar because all of my music is wav. When I add my 760GB music folder (all wav. EAC rips) to itunes, I have to take the album, highlight all the songs on that album, right click, manually type in artist, album artist, and album, just so it will group them together.
Then, If I was to move my music folder to another hard drive, I would have to do it all over again. MP3's are fine but I don't use MP3's.

Foobar works awesome, no editing involved. It organizes it just like my music folder.

You do know you can solve many of your metadata issues by using a format that actually has a defined standard for metadata. I.E. FLAC or ALAC. FLAC if you do not use iTunes, ALAC if you use iTunes. Bonus to using these formats is your 760GB music folder will get reduced to ~400GB with ZERO loss in quality.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #56 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do know you can solve many of your metadata issues by using a format that actually has a defined standard for metadata. I.E. FLAC or ALAC. FLAC if you do not use iTunes, ALAC if you use iTunes. Bonus to using these formats is your 760GB music folder will get reduced to ~400GB with ZERO loss in quality.

Quoted for truth.

Also, isn't there a 3rd-party plugin for itunes for FLAC.

DC

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #57 of 85
Quote:

Quoted for truth.

Also, isn't there a 3rd-party plugin for itunes for FLAC.

DC

I know there has been, but every time I have looked at it in the past it had many "issues and exceptions" that I did not want to deal with.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #58 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether you have 80 or 80 million tracks organising is the same.

That is true.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #60 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For you foobar users, is there a way I can add a filter to one of the playlists like you can in iTunes?

like a smart playlist?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back