Foobar2000 vs iTunes
Oct 15, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #61 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by chops13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
like a smart playlist?

Nope, just a filter. Like if I had a play list with 3 albums on it and I wanted to narrow it down and only show just one by typing a few letters that are only on one album, just like in iTunes.

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #63 of 85
Crazy*Carl: There are a couple of ways to do this.
For example, use the search (ctrl-f) and drop the results into a new playlist.

If you're using the media library you can also use the media library search or album list (has integrated search) which will automatically create a playlist called "Library Viewer Selection" (containing the search results) for you. You can easily duplicate that playlist.

But my recommendation is not to create "static" playlists, because they will not update automatically if you add / modify your music collection.
I mean they can be useful sometimes, but autoplaylists are the way to go!
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #64 of 85
Using foobar with ASIO is just a pain. Now if someone ends me a youtube video link I have to exit and reopen foobar. Another annoying thing is I cannot hear instant message sounds. ASIO obviously makes it where I can only hear the music. This is a big problem. The interface is inferior to iTunes, and actually alot more complicated, and a pain to configure to your liking. Not to mention foobar with ASIO has no apparent change at all. It sounds identical to iTunes.

I think I know what I am sticking with now, but thanks for all the replys.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #65 of 85
@Crazy*Carl:
Well you don't have to use ASIO, especially not if you're running Vista/7.
Also it's not a problem that you cannot hear other stuff when using ASIO, because that's a "feature".

Foobar's interface can do many things iTunes' can't, so I wouldn't call it inferior, but maybe "simplistic", i.e. Apple style. Also, GUI configuration can be done with 3 clicks in foobar so I don't really see how it's a pain. It takes a few minutes if you want to create your personally preferred custom layout, of course, but on the other hand I believe that iTunes can't do that.

On Windows XP, ASIO can be an improvement. However if you're lucky and don't hear the difference you also wouldn't need a dac, onboard sound should be enough.
tongue.gif

(can be quite good on certain boards)

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #66 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using foobar with ASIO is just a pain. Now if someone ends me a youtube video link I have to exit and reopen foobar. Another annoying thing is I cannot hear instant message sounds. ASIO obviously makes it where I can only hear the music. This is a big problem. The interface is inferior to iTunes, and actually alot more complicated, and a pain to configure to your liking. Not to mention foobar with ASIO has no apparent change at all. It sounds identical to iTunes.

I think I know what I am sticking with now, but thanks for all the replys.

I guess it depends on your priorities. Foobar's is quality musical reproduction with a great UI and lots of custom development support addon's.

iTunes is mass market one stop shop generalist. Whatever floats your boat.

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #67 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Crazy*Carl:
Well you don't have to use ASIO, especially not if you're running Vista/7.
Also it's not a problem that you cannot hear other stuff when using ASIO, because that's a "feature"

A feature that I do not like at all.

Also I found itunes much simpler than foobar2000.

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #68 of 85
Does anyone know how I can import metadata for a cd, so I dont have to manually name every single song, artist name, album etc. This is very easy to do on itunes (you right click and hit import) but I have searched and searched and cannot figure out how to do it in foobar2000.

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #71 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using foobar with ASIO is just a pain. Now if someone ends me a youtube video link I have to exit and reopen foobar.

File --> Preferences --> File types. I think it might be a file association issue with that.

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #73 of 85
Crazy*Carl, can you tell me how to group my .wav files together by albums in iTunes without having to highlight all the ones on the album, then get info, then manually type artist name in, then manually type album artist in, then manually type album in.

Foobar groups them together automatically in the folder I have them in. Just drop them in and your done. Very simple.

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #74 of 85
I believe wav files dont really hold metadata. You can save album and artsit information in itunes, but if you go to another program, it wont show it. Im not sure if this is what your asking though. Or do you want iTunes to automatically get the metadata for you? Your best off converting all the wav to alac in itunes (very easy to do) then apply the proper data which will stick with the file.

If I get a flac file, I usually decode it to a wav, stick it in itunes and convert to alac, then apply the album and artist name, etc. Brings me to one last thing i like about itunes, it automatically organized all your music folder. Just drop in the file to itunes, it places it in the correct artist then album folder. Then delete the original file. Even if I started to use foobar, I'm pretty sure I would still use itunes to organize my music to the right folders and import metadata.

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #75 of 85
In foobar you move new files into your music folder and then use File Operations -> Move to -> Your Preset (example: %album artist%/%date% %album%/%tracknumber% %title%) on your "all music" playlist.
Setting up a shortcut is preferred if you do this often.
wink.gif

.. and voila, if your tracks are properly tagged they now should be organized in your desired folder structure. The possibilities are endless with foobar.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back