Foobar2000 vs iTunes
Oct 18, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #76 of 85
I cant find this "file operations" anywhere, can you expand more. I want to be able where foobar will completely sort a folder with songs in it with a folder for every artist name, and within that folder a folder for the album name. Then the file goes inside that.

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #77 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by brown274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crazy*Carl, can you tell me how to group my .wav files together by albums in iTunes without having to highlight all the ones on the album, then get info, then manually type artist name in, then manually type album artist in, then manually type album in.

Foobar groups them together automatically in the folder I have them in. Just drop them in and your done. Very simple.

There are 3rd party plug ins that allow itunes to support flac. Just transcode the wavs to flacs and then you have full metadata capabilities.

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #78 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant find this "file operations" anywhere, can you expand more. I want to be able where foobar will completely sort a folder with songs in it with a folder for every artist name, and within that folder a folder for the album name. Then the file goes inside that.

Run the installer again and check "Full" installation mode, then you'll also get the file operations component.
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #79 of 85
I like to keep them as .wav
I really don't need any compression, I have tons of hard drive space. I just wish iTunes grouped my wav togther in album folders. I add them to iTunes in folders. I guess I will just stick to Foobar since I don't have to type, edit, or convert anything.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #80 of 85
Quote:

I like to keep them as .wav
I really don't need any compression, I have tons of hard drive space. I just wish iTunes grouped my wav togther in album folders. I add them to iTunes in folders. I guess I will just stick to Foobar since I don't have to type, edit, or convert anything.

What do you think you gain by keeping the files as wav? I can tell you what you lose. ~40% disk space, metadata and convience. I assume you backup your data so that means each backup is 40% bigger than need be. Moving the files from disk or over network will take 40% longer. If you think the add CPU time to decompress the data affects the audio quality, think about this. Your harddrive is working harder to transfer the raw wave file than it does for a lossless file.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #81 of 85
I have a few 1TB hard drives so space is no issue. I have my wav. files backed up on $4 25gb BD-R so I have no problem not compressing them. I do not need Metadata, I just wish iTunes kept them in the folder structure I drop them into iTunes in. Foobar keeps my original folder structure where I have them grouped by artist, album, song#.

I thought this was a Foobar vs iTunes thread. Not a how do you store your files and what format is better thread.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #82 of 85
Quote:

I do not need Metadata, I just wish iTunes kept them in the folder structure I drop them into iTunes in. Foobar keeps my original folder structure where I have them grouped by artist, album, song#.
]

What you want is METADATA
confused_face(1).gif

So saying you do no need it but then complain because iTunes does not know what the files are? What you are doing is encoding the metadata in the file path/ filename which is extremely delicate and can only hold so much data.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #83 of 85
A friend of mine just did an experiment. He captured bits from the USB output (using a microcontroller interface) and found that Vista + iTunes 8.2.1.6 did not deliver bit-perfect while the Foobar200 w/ WSAPI had no bit loss.

FYI.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #84 of 85

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #85 of 85
Ok, thanks to xnor, I know can use foobar to organize my music folders, so I am gonna really begin using foobar now with ASIO and xp and see how I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back