Foobar2000 is the best for audio. But what's the best for video?
May 5, 2009 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

vYu223

500+ Head-Fier
So Foobar2000 is the best choice for audio playback. Unfortunately (yet obviously), it doesn't play videos.

I've been trying to look for the best software for video playback for quite a while now. I've already tried VLC player, and can confirm that it is, in fact, NOT the best video player. It just SUCKS for subtitles, and is buggy as hell in general.

So would you guys know what the Foobar2000 of video playback software is? (a.k.a. what's the best video playback software out there [that can play most formats, from mkv to flv])

May 5, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 55
VLC always worked for me except for a few videos that had strange subtitle encoding (done in another country and not meant for use in the US) and only worked in media player classic.

May 5, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 55
May 5, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 55
KMP all the way.

May 5, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2
I tried it a year or so ago and never looked back

This player have dominated korean users for years. I would assume almost all koreans use this one for video playback.

May 5, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Foobar2000 is the best choice for audio playback. Unfortunately (yet obviously), it doesn't play videos.

I've been trying to look for the best software for video playback for quite a while now. I've already tried VLC player, and can confirm that it is, in fact, NOT the best video player. It just SUCKS for subtitles, and is buggy as hell in general.

So would you guys know what the Foobar2000 of video playback software is? (a.k.a. what's the best video playback software out there [that can play most formats, from mkv to flv])

Sheesh. That's weird. I've never had issues with VLC. I love that player. Simple and to the point. I'll definitely be checking out the other recommendations here though.

May 5, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 55
VLC was awesome, but it has a lot of issues with CERTAIN codecs... video and sound. I tried a few at the time since I was running slackware, but when I switched back to windows I eventually went with Media Player Classic.... it's simple, tiny, and unlimited codec support. It can be trickier to work with your hardware, but the settings are there and you just have to find the right filters and profiles that work with your configuration...after that it's a true charm, and I doubt I'll switch anytime within a few years.

May 5, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VLC always worked for me except for a few videos that had strange subtitle encoding (done in another country and not meant for use in the US) and only worked in media player classic.

Er, actually thats because VLC is crap.
VLC cannot render softsubs correctly (eg if there are two subs occuring simultaneously i.e. on the screen at the same time they will be rendered at one point and will overlap rather than say, having the translated line at 90% and the translators note at 10% on the veritcal axis...) and can be killed via killcodes in mkv format (currently one of the most popular). VLC was designed to play everything without external codecs. it plays a lot of formats (not all....) but it does it horribly.
download CCCP with media player classic and forget every other video application and codec.
CCCP
Do not use Klite. Klite is run by bloatfags. CCCP is to the point, will play everything when coupled with MPC and is controlled by people who actually use it for the purpose of watching videos of any format.

Depending on the rendertype you use in MPC you may need a slightly faster computer than using vlc. But VLC is crap in comparison.
Dont worry about downloading a player, there are two players bundled in the CCCP install (my recomendation is for MPC, not zoom).
By far the easiest, most versatile and configurable/customisable setup available... and it is still being updated.
The only fault with MPC is that some render types will be a bit funky with mouse-clicks on menus (hotspots may be slightly off for what they are intended). This is generally with older/cheaply manufactured DVDs and new dvds will be spot-on.

May 5, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #15 of 55
Yup, "The KMPlayer" is the way to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back