Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Feb 26, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #286 of 868

Quote:
lol all i have right now as dsp presets are : k701 and k701 5.1

Well the important ones are still "Default: Balanced (Forward)" and "Default: Balanced (Laid-back)" as these offer roughly same balance as not using ANY EQing / stock foobar settings with all dsps disabled. (With Dolby Headphone I have to EQ out the change it brings to frequency response which those two's settings are for to bring back the frequency balance the headphones have without Dolby Headphone used which is what majority would be "used to" hearing already.

Yea well I personally only use the "Default: Balanced (Forward)" and "Default: Balanced (Laid-back)" as if I need EQing for my headphones I use my soundcard's EQ but I'm simply offering more presets for people that may lack EQ adjustability or don't like to play around with EQing.

I've tweaked the EQ presets for the genres in mind, Classical having the biggest soundstange, more laid-back sound, slightly boosted upper-highs and subbass while pop has more "in-your-face" engaging soundstage with more forward midrange and slightly lowered bass and highs (upside down V-shape EQ) as usual is the case with the pop EQ preset and Hip-hop has especially slightly boosted bass and midrange with a quite upfront soundstage and electronica has a wider/bigger soundstage with better separation with very minor boost in bass and slight boost around mids/upper mids and very tiny bit in the upper-highs etc.

I've adjusted the presets slightly since so will upload those fixes soon.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #287 of 868
Loving the "Forward" EQ setup you have going Wizard.  Think it sounds perfect for every type of music genre I listen too, and everyone of my headphones and IEM's.  Doubt I will need to change it anytime soon. 
beyersmile.png

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #288 of 868

Loving the "Forward" EQ setup you have going Wizard.  Think it sounds perfect for every type of music genre I listen too, and everyone of my headphones and IEM's.  Doubt I will need to change it anytime soon. 
beyersmile.png

Glad you're enjoying it!

I've updated the Genre specific EQ presets a little, default presets obviously stays the same. Also made two new recordings using the Electronica EQ preset:

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #289 of 868
Wow what an amazing artist and great sound that your brought to it. I loved the original from Regina and this one is just out of this world. Great vocals from this girl

And thanks for the new artist you brought me to, tAKiDA.

I sub'd your channel.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #290 of 868
So I've done some minor tweaks to the presets as well as added a new preset, "Genre: Hardstyle". The links updated in first page as usual and here's also have an example recording of the Hardstyle preset (which works nice with many different songs/genres too):

Quote:
Wow what an amazing artist and great sound that your brought to it. I loved the original from Regina and this one is just out of this world. Great vocals from this girl

And thanks for the new artist you brought me to, tAKiDA.

I sub'd your channel.

Yea I love her voice, she became famous in Swedish Idol with that song but sadly she left the competition by her own will.

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #291 of 868

Quote:
I just tried to change the sound from stereo to 5.1 again, and the option was there...changed it and OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! So immersive listening to trance, completly 3D with all the little details whizzing round my head LOL, very well done mate! Im not even using your updated one ATM, currently downloading :p

Also I cant manage to overwrite the stock foobar application folder with your modded foobar...would really appreciate it if you could let me know how you managed it...I just dragged foobar folder to system´s foobar folder and merged and overwrite as prompted but cannot open the foobar.exe after :frowning2:

Thanks again!

Hi.

I have the same problem on my laptop.

I can't change the speaker configuration. It's grey out and stuck to Stereo.

How did you fix it?

Thank you!

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #292 of 868

Quote:
Hi.

I have the same problem on my laptop.

I can't change the speaker configuration. It's grey out and stuck to Stereo.

How did you fix it?

Thank you!

Because that's the way laptop audio chips are designed to only handle stereo output unfortunately so doubt there's any way to fix it. But this config does works with stereo too, it's just marginally better with 5.1 speakers from my testing.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #294 of 868
I will probably update the "forward" config to use these settings I tweaked for Q40 headphones in mind that I then noticed it sounds better than the current stock "forward" config. You can download that one here if you want to test it right now: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63937904/foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone-RPGWiZaRD/New%20folder/foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone.%28M-Audio%20Q40%29-RPGWiZaRD.zip

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #295 of 868

Quote:
I will probably update the "forward" config to use these settings I tweaked for Q40 headphones in mind that I then noticed it sounds better than the current stock "forward" config. You can download that one here if you want to test it right now: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63937904/foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone-RPGWiZaRD/New%20folder/foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone.%28M-Audio%20Q40%29-RPGWiZaRD.zip

It sounds good. I think I'm going to use the new one you tweaked. I really like it on Pro 900. Did you change anything to the EQ?

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #296 of 868

Quote:
It sounds good. I think I'm going to use the new one you tweaked. I really like it on Pro 900. Did you change anything to the EQ?

Veeeeerrryyy tiny bit in the bass and the upper-highs range. we're talking about less than 0.5dB changes though but yea I think it sounds tiny bit more neutral in the treble. ^^ Soundstage wise it should have a wider stage while still keeping vocals/midrange up-front/centered as intended with the forward config.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #299 of 868

Quote:
I'd love to try this, but Electri-Q Posihfopit edition isn't free and isn't cheap either. Is it really needed?

There's a free version of it too which is also included in the package already.

Is there a way to update to the newest version without replacing the CFG files. I find that everytime I do that, all my settings (including playlists, music library) need to be remade.

Dunno of any unfortunately unless manually updating them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back