Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Aug 26, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #166 of 868
I just tried it with the classical preset and didn't notice much difference, at least in the area that I was concerned about.
Mainly, the mid-high treble range sounds "thinner" and less rich (although I am talking pretty subtle differences). There is probably improvement in soundstage but for classical, at least, I am more sensitive to tonal qualities.

But I quite like it for most non-classical things, especially live acoustic recordings. I've noticed it, however, but for certain songs, the vocal line sounds a little too "dry" and separated (I realize this is the effect that you might be going for); might have to do with treatment of certain treble ranges. For instance, Morning Bell from Kid A (Radiohead).

Might just be my setup though. (Keces DAC -> LIttle Dot MK III -> HD650)

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #167 of 868
It would be nice to get some info exactly on how Dolby Headphone modifies the frequency response so you could counter adjust it just like that but this is the best we can do, use our own ears to EQ out the change as great as possible (a bit like reverse engineering :p). I like what Dolby Headphone does to soundstage but I don't want much change in tonal balance either why I started adjusting the Electri-Q EQ to get as close to as I can get to the original tonal balance as if I wasn't using Dolby Headphone. I'm close with the "Genre: Balanced (Default)" but yes I can hear it's not perfectly the same tonal balance still either but it heavily depends on the song tested with too, there's songs where when you switch between stock and the dolby headphone setting you can barely hear the difference in the tonal balance and there's some that you can hear quite a change in, the biggest difference is in the treblerange, if you'd try EQ electri-Q and think you've come up with a better or more closer to the stock foobar2000 tonal balance by all means share the EQ setting! I may have come closer than this already but I always validate with lots of different genres and type of music to see if I'd really evaluate it as "better sounding" / closer to the stock foobar2000 tonal balance but so far I haven't been able to come up with any setting that I'd concider to be obviously better so always reverted back. At least I'm happy with how the bass presence is pretty much equal now with stock or dolby headphone config with that about -1.5 reduction in Electri-Q. It may also be that Electri-Q is simply not good enough of an EQ for this purpose, would need a high quality hardware EQ to get a better result but Electri-Q was obviously chosen since it's something every1 could use as it's free and IMO the best free software EQ out there. Software EQs are usually less accurate when it comes to boosting than cutting.

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #169 of 868
Well I remember checking with some 5.1 speaker test file and worked with that at least. Don't know what would be the reason if it didn't work for you.

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #170 of 868
Did you use the equalizer? The electri Q only supports stereo. For 5.1 files you should only use the Dolby Headphone plugin and a resampler for files with a higher samplerate than 48 kHz.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #171 of 868
I made a new dolby headphone video for my favorite DJs the Wasted Penguinz :p

Compare to the non-dolby headphone version:

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #172 of 868
I've tried this plugin in the past and have not been impressed with how it works. I've read the guides on how to set it up, so I was confident everything was set just fine.

The biggest issue I've had with the plugin where its actually better to turn it off, is any CD album recorded in Dolby Surround. This locks out some of my favorite recordings from such orchestras as the Cincinnati Pops and Prague Philharmonic for film scores. Big bummer! For other stuff--vocals and pop, it did appear the sound was more in front of you than to the left and right and in your head, so credit where its due--it does work given the right recording. I just like certain albums too much that don't benefit from this.

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #173 of 868
Well I started tweaking it a little again, I even successfully (in my ears anyway) got a bit better result on the default balanced preset, I've tried many times improving it in a way it would sound less colored yet as fun as possible (treblerange was still slightly more muffled) but I didn't get to results I could honestly say sounded better but now I think I successfully got an improvement (although small as usual as it's getting to the point it's hard to improve any further). Treblerange is a bit more detailed but still doesn't sound any hotter than compared to completely stock foobar2000 settings (midrange possibly slightly more forward).

EDIT: Well I was perhaps a bit hasty, didn't test enough diversity of songs to get a good sense, it worked quite ok with some but others not so great so reverted the default EQ preset config for now.

Also tweaked the 'genre' presets around some more. The fully preconfigured foobar2000 package (as well as the Core.cfg and default preset) can be grabbed as usual from

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=87ed83e2c9fd453c&sc=documents&uc=1&id=87ED83E2C9FD453C%21272#

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #175 of 868

Quote:
RPGWiZaRD's Dolby Headphone foobar2000 info & tweaks
 ​

I'm looking for volunteers to try out this dolby headphone config which is a bit further tweaked than what you'll find in the big thread about dolby headphone, basicly I'm the kind of guy that can't keep my fingers off when it comes to settings and tweaking for the best possible result using my own ears (or eyes when it comes to calibrating TVs etc) and can spend literally months tweaking all sliders one by one, making one or a few step change and listen if I find it better/worse until I'm certain about it etc until I eventually get a really nice (in my opinion obviously) result. I'm pretty much there where I simply can't get it to sound any better on my equipment at least after maybe a half year or so since I started using dolby headphone plugin, I realize different headphones or especially DACs/sources may skew the results or the same setting may not be ideal for every DAC/source but trying it with my different headphones it all sounded pretty much optimal or near it so headphones themselves shouldn't have a large impact, DACs might have though. Also please note it should be a DAC/source that handles multichannel (5.1) output or else channel mixer dsp plugin won't work and it'll sound just plain bad as this plugin and the settings are required for Dolby Headphone to sound great.

Soundcards should be put in 5.1 speakermode for best possible result.

Here's some examples of a Dolby Headphone recorded video​
 ​

Preconfigured install 

You can download a preconfigured foobar2000 archieve from here if you don't feel like manually setting it up and you only need to extract it somewhere but if you already have foobar2000 installed I'd recommend you try it out first if you like it or not by extracting it somewhere else and then open the foobar2000 exe from that path you extracted the preconfigured foobar2000 config to and then drag the songs to the playlist (or importing your playlists) to be sure you hear this effect as it's supposed to sound like. If you were to double click your songs it'll most likely open your own foobar2000 and it'd need to be replaced to work but possibly that might not still use the correct settings (I know it's something fishy how the settings are loaded/stored if using the portable install method that doesn't write any registry settings versus trying to replace a "normal" foobar2000 install with applied registry settings). The preconfigured configs are portable installs so won't mess with your own foobar2000 settings unless you overwrite them.

I strongly recommend you read through the "Manual install" part even if you decide to try this preconfigured config because it explains the settings so you will have a better understanding of which setting will result in what kind of change.

Portable foobar2000 v1.1.6 configuration: foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone-RPGWiZaRD

​
Manual install 

Prerequisites

foobar2000 player (obviously):  http://www.foobar2000.org/
Channel Mixer DSP plugin:         http://skipyrich.com/wiki/Foobar2000:Channel_Mixer
Dolby headphone Wrapper:       http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_dolbyhp
VST adapter (beta):                http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=84947
Electri-Q Posihfopit edition:       http://www.aixcoustic.com/index.php/Electri-Q-posihfopit/30/0/
DSP chain serialization helper:   http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=86873
Graphic Equalizer (optional):     http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_xgeq

Dolby Headphone dll I won't directly link to as such but it's found in my preconfigured package as well as for example in the trials for the most media players such as PowerDVD and WinDVD etc. Latest version I'm aware of would be v1.20.0.276, usually named DolbyHph.dll.

DSP plugin load order

Should be noted that Channel Mixer plugin should be ABOVE the dolby headphone plugin in the active DSP list to work correctly. As far as Electri-Q VST EQ plugin goes, it's not that much of a difference if putting it first or last (I think having it first may lower distortion levels by a very tiny amount though) but advanced limiter should obviously always come at the very last position to get it working like it should, to limit the volume at zero level and thus minimize the distortion.

Equalizer settings

Before you ask why, I feel this is REQUIRED to neglect the frequency response change dolby headphone plugin adds, especially to the significantly boosted lows as well as recessed treblerange, without fixing this, you'll loose fine details in music and it sounds more "muffled". I've compared the EQ settings with dolby headphone enabled on foobar2000 vs stock foobar2000 but also for example Winamp and iTunes and maybe a bit Windows Media player to get a roughly similar frequency balance or just a "good result" (sounding great has slightly higher priority than sounding EXACTLY the same as other players but yea it's roughly the same anyway).

To load the VST EQ plugin Electri-Q (poihfopit edition) I recommend using the new VST host adapter by Yegor Petrov. After having placed the foo_vst.dll file in the components folder as usual, go to File -> Preferences -> Components -> VST plug-ins and add the Electri-Q plugin. Now press "apply" and it should ask if you want to restart foobar2000 and let it do so. Now go to DSP manager and add the Electri-Q (posihfopit edition) to the active DSPs list and you should be now able to bring up the EQ window.

A DSP chain preset with the EQ setting above (as well as rest of the plugin settings) can be downloaded from here: foobar2000.EQ.Balanced.(Default)-RPGWiZaRD - Use DSP chain serialization helper plugin to load the .fbcp file by holding down shift while accessing playback dropdown menu -> DSP chain serializer -> load.

Additional EQ presets customized by me are also available: foobar2000.EQ.Presets-RPGWiZaRD - Replace your current Core.cfg file in the configuration folder, if using a foobar2000 portable install can be found under foobar2000\configuration\ and if using a standard install then it's found under C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\configuration\ (Warning! backup your existing Core.cfg file in the foobar2000 configuration folder) 

NOTE: Due to the VST adapter plugin being in a very early beta stage (correction, Electri-Q plugin being very buggy coded) some crashing may occur while loading different EQ presets. As a compromise for now to the problem whenever you want to load another EQ preset, load first the "Custom: Stock foobar2000" config or one of the bottom 3 "Hph" (=headphone) presets as it's configured to not use the VST adapter/Electri-Q plugin and then load the desired EQ preset as this seems to avoid the crashing if you don't load a preset that uses the Electri-Q plugin in-between.

Channel Mixer settings

The rest of the settings that isn't seen in the pictures are remain unchanged. You can if you prefer a wider soundstage play around with Stereoimage width but I feel in my ears 0.87 brings the most natural sounding width and above that the vocals/mids are starting to sound off-centered, too far to the sides, this value is the last one in my ears which has the mids positioned where they should be in my ears. "Rear in front" and "Front in rear" settings affect laid-back or forwardness characteristics, the higher values the more forward sounding or vice versa while the rear volume setting seems to impact width/depth of the soundstage.

NOTE: The Rear volume setting is very DAC/source dependant on what works best and should be adjusted according to your own ears for optimal result. The provided default value 1.31 should work reasonably well and sounds optimal on my Audigy 2 ZS while on my Realtek onboard chip (ALC889A) I think 1.39 sounds best.

Dolby Headphone settings

The amplification slider works mostly as a volume control but may also add some audible reverb depending on how high it's set. 93% should bring roughly similar volume levels compared to other players so that probably makes most sense to start out with. However if it was the case that you're experienced either distorted sound or too much reverb, try lowering this slider. Avoid using anything else than DH1 - Reference room because it gets overall too reverby and alters the signal too much from the original one. The Dynamic compression ruins the sound quality more than it helps so stay away from that one too.

You can add whatever plugins you want to use, for example WASAPI is heavily recommended to bypass the Windows own built-in mixer/EQ to get a cleaner output! I decided to not enable this output as default as it usually requires the correct bitrate and sampling rate applied and may be a hazzle to newbies which haven't used foobar2000 to figure out how to fix it. Comments are highly appriciated.

FAQ

Q: What's the goal of this foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config?

A: The goal is to enhance the "out-of-box" experience, make recordings sound more "live"-like with as realistic and clear positioning as possible while maintaining sound quality as close to the original signal as possible. Also it makes the sound a bit more "forward" sounding for more engaging experience that makes you wanna tap to the rythm or dance along with the music as well as having vocalist standing almost within reach to you while background instruments may sound like they'd be coming far from the background or to the sides for a more dynamic and wider listening feeling like you would forget you're wearing any headphones!

Q: Why share this config here on Head-Fi?

A: Because I realize everyone doesn't like tweaking but I do and find that if people like grasping the settings just like that and enjoys them then I'm also happy they are enjoying it, it's a win-win situation.

Q: How do you know how to adjust the settings?

A: I only go by ear really. I've been EQing my headphones for many years and tried out different VST plugins or standalone apps that try to modify the sound in different ways so I've gotten used to hear the tiny differences in sound. You can train your ears as well! EQing is one good way to start which can be suprisingly educative. 

Who is the female singer in the upper left video?

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #176 of 868

Quote:
Who is the female singer in the upper left video?

Leona Lewis ofc. :) One of the few singers who sound much better live than in studio!

EDIT: Made some small adjustments to some of the presets.

Here's also another example of my Dolby Headphone config recorded video I recommend checking out!

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #177 of 868
@RPGWiZaRD,

I'm sorry if I'm wrong here, but I want to convey some of my opinions regarding distortion. I realized this long since time ago, but I'm sorry I just have a time to write now :)

Earlier I have a post like this

Quote:
Also when there's a clipping (in recording itself, usually some bad recording), I heard some obvious distortion...

Then I have an opinion like this:
1. The cause of the distortion is not a dolby headphone. 100% amplification with only this plugin enabled, no distortion. Same thing if Dolby Headphone in my sound card is enabled.

2. The real culprit is a channel mixer itself which introduces distortion after upmixing process. I experienced the same distortion when using ffdshow mixer without normalized matrix. Notice the difference in matrix value output below.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong here, but after placing "Advanced Limiter" between "Channel Mixer" and "Dolby Headphone" (instead of below "Dolby Headphone") in foobar DSP chain, the distortion is much more supressed. I can set "Dolby Headphone" to 100% instead of 93%... (101% and more is obviously altered)...

Well, YMMV. That's what I heard in my computer. But after changing the foobar DSP chain, I think it has different tonality, and it needs a new equalizer value to make it more natural.

Thanks for your attention. I just want to share my opinion :)

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #178 of 868
Yea it depends on our setup, I also notice a difference depending how Advanced limiter is set. Actually you can remove it and it sounds even cleaner with the latest settings at least but what I noticed Advanced limiter really does is not only to "limit" the signal to avoid clipping but to actually boost it if there's room to be boosted too lol. As the midrange often appears to come more forward. 

On my setup (could be a volume setting dependant thing for example, I got my windows volume set low at like 31%) there's no distortion with the provided setting with advanced limiter at the very bottom and I usually get the most satisfying sound like this as the midrange is most forward sounding then.

EDIT: Updated one setting and reuploaded config.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #179 of 868
Alright, here's new settings, both finetuned EQ setting (thx M-Audio Q40 headphones, you've been a great aid!) as well as revamped channel mixer config. I've introduced 2 different configs now as people have quite different taste, some people prefer a more laid-back, relaxed, very transparent, airy, wide soundstage etc while others prefer a bit more forward, engaging "in-your-face" sound. Therefore I made 2 default configs, one "forward" and one named "laid-back".

Active DSP order, same for both:

The "Forward" sounding config

Suitable for: People who prefer a more forward/"in-your-face" sounding soundstage (but improved/larger stage with better imaging/positioning over stock foobar2000), more engaging listening experience. Suitable for people who like the Grado sound or listen to lots of rock, EDM, dance, pop etc music.

Preconfigured foobar2000 package: http://www61.zippyshare.com/v/94637119/file.html

fbcp settings file (in case you don't trust downloading the whole package of some1 else): http://www61.zippyshare.com/v/34984981/file.html

The "Laid-back" sounding config

Suitable for: People who prefer a more laid-back sounding soundstage with better transparency and more spacious/wider soundstage, more relaxed listening. Suitable for people who prefer sound signatures by for example AKG K70x or Sennheiser HD800 or listen to a lot of classical/orchestra music.

Preconfigured foobar2000 package: http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/37990323/file.html

fbcp settings file: http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/68210744/file.html

You can obviously switch between the configs by downloading either of the package and go to DSP manager page and load "Genre: Balanced (Default)" for the "forward" sounding config and "Genre: Balanced (More Laid-back & Airy)" preset for the "laid-back" sounding config but you have to always load "Custom: Stock foobar2000" in-between to avoid crashing as it crashes with this VST host in case switching between presets with Electri-Q enabled on both. I just decided to add two separate preconfigured packages for convenience. :p The other presets haven't been updated and would need major overhaul, EQing wise would generally have to be less bass and more mids and the channel mixer settings hasn't either been touched.

Would be nice with some feedback before updating the OP to reflect these latest configs.

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #180 of 868
I only listened it for 5-10 minutes, so I can't comment on any technical difference... But one thing that struck in my mind is these new configs has more natural tonality than previous config... Well, all configs sounds better than stock foobar though :p

In old configs, the sound is more smeared (imagine taking a chalk, draw a line and smear it with your fingers) which is a bad thing... New configs has blacker background, although on the down side, it sounds less authoritative compared with old...

Seeing from your Electri-Q config, you prefer Analog mode? I prefer Digital mode as it gives me less grain (although some people prefer analog natural grain :p ) Regarding Airy vs Forward configs, I prefer Airy due to my genre of music... But I'm not saying that Forward is bad, its just that both of the configs has a specialized genre :p

And for people who thinks this config increasing soundstage, I didn't find it to be the case with my headphones... Compared with stock foobar, I found the soundstage width and depth is still roughly the same (5 cm out of my head with my fullsize Senn, and in my head with my IEM)... But with this config, you will notice vast improvement in imaging pinpoint and instrument separation and the sound also portrayed more distant, which gives impression of bigger soundstages, especially when you close your eyes...

I only notice the real difference in soundstages when I switching between different amp (for example without an amp, the soundstage of my Senn headphones suddenly collapsed because it's underpowered...) Every headphones also has a different soundstages...

For a conclusion... All I can say is: Thanks for your effort, really appreciate it. With your config, all my music sounds more musical and enjoyable now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back