Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Jan 15, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #196 of 868

Quote:

Yea you have to navigate to the folder you extracted it to and open the exe file from there (as your other foobar2000 install will open if you click on a mp3 file). If you want it replacing the other foobar2000 you simply put the folder into the exact same place as the other foobar2000 which you can move/rename temporarily or whatever and then it will become your default foobar2000.

I deleted the other foobar already, I´ll just install it again (stock) and then replace folder. Thanks man, and any idea how to get crossfade working, cant get it to work in prefrences.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #197 of 868

Quote:
I deleted the other foobar already, I´ll just install it again (stock) and then replace folder. Thanks man, and any idea how to get crossfade working, cant get it to work in prefrences.

Worked here when I gave it a quick try...

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #198 of 868
Just noticed I've had the wrong Dolby Headphone "forward" settings picture up for a while. Should be 102% amplification in Dolby Headphone with that mode. The preconfigured package obviously has 102% set but in case you were following the pictures to set it up yourself...

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #199 of 868
The "forward setting" is literally a godsend for most non-classical things, including rock, hiphop, electronica, and acoustic.
I still cannot come to terms with any of these settings (including the laid back setting, which is interesting but alters the sonority/tonality of instruments too much) with classical music.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #200 of 868

Quote:
Worked here when I gave it a quick try...

Ahh :frowning2: how do you get it to work cant find a totorial any where i know where to find it in preferences and move it to the left of list and configure lenght of crossfade but when i click OK its like it hasnt saved :frowning2:

Thanks allot...loving the sound!

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #201 of 868
I'm loving the sound of this setup, cheers RPGWizard.

The only thing that's annoying me now is that the Dolby Headphone on my Xonar DG doesn't create nearly as large a soundstage or separate out the sounds as well The DH Wrapper. Any idea how I could configure it to work better with DH direct from my Xonar?

Currently I'm just using the Laid-Back configuration and just removing the Dolby Headphone wrapper and turning on Dolby Headphone with 6 channels in the Asus Audio Center.

It'd be great if you could help but naturally it's probably impossible that you could help without having access to the equipment yourself.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #202 of 868
That's simply due to the Dolby Headphone "Amplification" slider in the wrapper which you can't configure in ASUS Xonar. It's set at 110% in the laid-back config and when you use the Dolby Headphone from ASUS software it corresponds to amplification slider set to 100%. This slider affects the soundstage and reverb. So unfortunately it's not possible to get quite as good result as using the DH wrapper with foobar2000.

Man I had almost killed myself for a "system-wide" foobar2000 dsp sound processing possibility with channel mixer & freesurround etc + Dolby Headphone support being added to the output device you use in Windows. I bet the soundstage/positioning would be godly for gaming with these configs as I don't like how Dolby Headphone sounds with music at all if not coupling it together with channel mixer or freesurround etc plugins that tweaks the channel settings. I keep imaginating how gaming would be like with the tweaked channel settings as if with the right channel settings dolby headphone sounds excellent with music then I can't help but keep wondering how it would be like for gaming/movie watching which was perhaps its main intended purpose.

Actually I could test it out by recording sound while playing some game and then start up that recorded sound in foobar2000 with the config and see how I interpret the positioning without staring on any graphics in motion. Would be quite interesting, need to test that sometimes.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #203 of 868
OK, I've tweaked the settings very slightly again. I wanted to post it earlier but I was so captured by how great my music sounded like with it so errm couldn't stop testing it out. Both presets have been tested with at least something like 50 - 100 different songs and sounded great with them all. ^^ I doubt I'll be able to get any better working settings than this.

The "Forward" config has now very slightly bigger soundstage and slightly better transparency and imaging and sounds less compressed so to speak, more natural.

The "Laid-back" config has been improved in imaging, slightly more spacious sound and better bass response, now it truly sounds like being in a concert hall! 

The links for the preconfigured foobar2000 as well as pictures with settings have been updated in the first post.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #204 of 868

Awesome! Will try it out right now.
Quote:
OK, I've tweaked the settings very slightly again. I wanted to post it earlier but I was so captured by how great my music sounded like with it so errm couldn't stop testing it out. Both presets have been tested with at least something like 50 - 100 different songs and sounded great with them all. ^^ I doubt I'll be able to get any better working settings than this.

The "Forward" config has now very slightly bigger soundstage and slightly better transparency and imaging and sounds less compressed so to speak, more natural.

The "Laid-back" has been improved in imaging, slightly more spacious sound and better bass response, now it truly sounds like being in a concert hall! 

The links for the preconfigured foobar2000 as well as pictures with settings have been updated in the first post.

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #205 of 868

Quote:
Awesome! Will try it out right now.

Feedback is welcome as usual. I started to like the laid-back config a lot more now too from previously mostly using the "forward" config for 90% of the time but I think the laid-back config fits now for more varied songs and can sound nice with pop songs and some EDM as well. There's been several cases when I thought some1 was shouting at me so had to pause music to check but then it was just the music as it sounded so real now.

EDIT: I'm thinking of possibly updating the "laid-back" config  to use the DH2 mode instead of DH1 still though, from a quick listen it seems like it might work a little better with freesurround plugin. I still prefer DH1 mode clearly with the "forward" config but in the "laid-back" config with Dolby Amplification set to 110% and freesurround dsp plugin it seems that DH2 mode might be a better fit.

EDIT2: Updated the "Laid-back" config to use DH2 - Live Room mode, sounded quite a lot better to my ears. I'd give this config a retry if you didn't like it when testing earlier, sounds pretty darn good for most music now even if I say it myself.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #206 of 868
Now added the exact EQ settings (freq, gain, bw) for all the filters to the first post as well in case you just for some reason just want to do exactly everything manually.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #207 of 868

Quote:
I'm loving the sound of this setup, cheers RPGWizard.

The only thing that's annoying me now is that the Dolby Headphone on my Xonar DG doesn't create nearly as large a soundstage or separate out the sounds as well The DH Wrapper. Any idea how I could configure it to work better with DH direct from my Xonar?

Currently I'm just using the Laid-Back configuration and just removing the Dolby Headphone wrapper and turning on Dolby Headphone with 6 channels in the Asus Audio Center.

It'd be great if you could help but naturally it's probably impossible that you could help without having access to the equipment yourself.

I think the problem is the 6 channels (L,C,R,Rb,Lb) in the Xonar audio card. The foobar configuration uses  (L,C,R,RS,LS). So you have to redirect the Rb,Lb channels to RS,LS with matrix mixer and put on 8 ch in your xonar card.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #208 of 868
YOYOYOOYOYO Guys, i decided i had messed up presets all over the place so what i did was take the best ones and unique ones and numbers them all 1 through 7. RPGwizard do you want me to send you my whole foobar and config so you can try them out?

Also when you listen and compare each preset dont inspect the settings, thats why i numbered them 1, 2, 3, etc. This is so there is no bias and find out which settings i really like without thinking to hard about the actual settings.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #209 of 868

Quote:
YOYOYOOYOYO Guys, i decided i had messed up presets all over the place so what i did was take the best ones and unique ones and numbers them all 1 through 7. RPGwizard do you want me to send you my whole foobar and config so you can try them out?

Also when you listen and compare each preset dont inspect the settings, thats why i numbered them 1, 2, 3, etc. This is so there is no bias and find out which settings i really like without thinking to hard about the actual settings.

I don't mind really. You could upload the whole package of preconfigured foobar2000 folders somewhere or .fbcp config files would be easiest in case you use the "DSP chain serializer" plugin, it stores dsp load order + dsp settings. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #210 of 868
I love this set but sometimes I feel like the room was too small however that's not an issue. The pain is, at some songs, the voice of singer is overwhelmed in terms of loudness by the rest of instruments. Any ideas how to tweak it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back