Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Jan 31, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #226 of 868

Quote:
I spent a while trying to get rid of the distortion of the back channels that occured with the neural upmix settings. I configured them to perfection.

try this - http://www.mediafire.com/?dbvqsqsn9a6gnsu <- update

configured with k701

OK I've given it a try and it sounds reasonably good now when I volume matched and applied my EQ settings for better comparision. I'd fit it somewhere in-between channel mixer and freesurrounder sound signature wise. The freesurround is able to produce a more airy, wide soundstage but it's not as "forward", in-your-face as with the channel mixer config. I may even put it up as a "optional" download if I find it different & good enough compared to the other settings I already have there. But yea from some quick listening here and there it doesn't sound too bad but I did some minor adjustments and using these settings:

However one thing that is a bit annoying is when you click on a song in the tracklist it seems to have a noise before the track starts for me.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #227 of 868

Quote:
OK I've given it a try and it sounds reasonably good now when I volume matched and applied my EQ settings for better comparision. I'd fit it somewhere in-between channel mixer and freesurrounder sound signature wise. The freesurround is able to produce a more airy, wide soundstage but it's not as "forward", in-your-face as with the channel mixer config. I may even put it up as a "optional" download if I find it different & good enough compared to the other settings I already have there. But yea from some quick listening here and there it doesn't sound too bad but I did some minor adjustments and using these settings:

However one thing that is a bit annoying is when you click on a song in the tracklist it seems to have a noise before the track starts for me.

hm noise before the track really?

btw i tuned it a bit to width 20%, l, r : 3.0;  C:0.5 and ceiling -3.0. I left the other stuff the same.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #228 of 868
I just want to post my actual settings:
equalizer
dts neural upmix:  Depth: auto      Width: 36%
Matrix Mixer:

I think with this settings you get a good surround image without to much distortions.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #229 of 868

Quote:
I just want to post my actual settings:
equalizer
dts neural upmix:  Depth: auto      Width: 36%
Matrix Mixer:

I think with this settings you get a good surround image without to much distortions.

depth auto gives distortion to the back channels though

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #231 of 868
do need  a plugin for this  what kind of file is this?

Quote:
I spent a while trying to get rid of the distortion of the back channels that occured with the neural upmix settings. I configured them to perfection.

try this - http://www.mediafire.com/?dbvqsqsn9a6gnsu <- update

configured with k701

Feb 6, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #235 of 868
I have three questions,

First, using either of the preset configurations in the original post, if I enable WASAPI with 24-bit Output under Foobar's "Output" section, will that break any of the plugins?

Second, if I wanted to insert a resampler like PPHS or Sox into the chain, where would it go and should any DSPs be disabled in it's place? Would I be able to leave WASAPI 24-bit enabled using one? Which resampler works best with this setup?

Third, any suggestions on tweaking these presets for an HD650 off a 24-bit DAC?

Thanks, enjoying playing with this!

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #236 of 868
wrong thread...

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #237 of 868

Quote:
I have three questions,

First, using either of the preset configurations in the original post, if I enable WASAPI with 24-bit Output under Foobar's "Output" section, will that break any of the plugins?

Second, if I wanted to insert a resampler like PPHS or Sox into the chain, where would it go and should any DSPs be disabled in it's place? Would I be able to leave WASAPI 24-bit enabled using one? Which resampler works best with this setup?

1. Yes ofc you can. I've just set the output device as "DS: Primary Sound driver" for convenience so that every1 should get some sound without having to change anything.

2. Doesn't matter that much where you insert it, but I used to put it at top when I used it with another source.

3. Well I haven't heard HD650 so it's a bit difficult to tell, personally I'd probably just end up EQing treblerange a tiny bit up on HD650.

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #238 of 868
The pre-configured laid-back sounds weird on my Ottmar Liebert's "Up Close". Songs in this album sounds as they're played very far away from me (muffled). Otherwise, it sounds very great with Pink Floyd's "Mother". The blow that in the first few seconds sounds very real! It flows from my right to left ear very nicely.

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #239 of 868

Quote:
I have three questions,

i would use the resampler at the end of the chain, ive seen some problems encountered otherwise on certain occasions.
Also i use wasapi and output 24-bit and it works fine.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #240 of 868

Quote:
The pre-configured laid-back sounds weird on my Ottmar Liebert's "Up Close". Songs in this album sounds as they're played very far away from me (muffled). Otherwise, it sounds very great with Pink Floyd's "Mother". The blow that in the first few seconds sounds very real! It flows from my right to left ear very nicely.

Try the "forward" config in that case. You can easily switch between the configs in preferences -> DSP manager and in the DSP chain preset dropdown first choose "Custom: Stock foobar2000" and then click on load and then choose "Genre: Balanced (Default)" and load that one. To load the "laid-back" config first choose the stock foobar2000 and then "Genre: Balanced (More laid-back & airy)".

Laid-back config is meant to have sounds coming from further apart for bigger soundstage, the forward config is more "up-front" sounding closer to stock foobar2000. Therefore I personally find the laid-back to mostly work great for classical while I usually prefer the other config for all other genres but yea it can vary a bit from recording to another but personally I prefer the "forward" config in most cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back