Foobar vs MediaMonkey
May 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #46 of 63
Quote:
The player itself is just the UI. The codecs underneath are the same, unless you use extra plugins.
So I guess a better question to ask would be: "Which media player UI/features do you like more?"

x1000000

May 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #48 of 63
Maybe it's just me, but my MediaMonkey keeps having fits (various sound drop-outs, stuttering, etc.) whenever my PC is busy. It used to happen in Windows XP, and it's still there in Windows 7. Foobar doesn't seem to care what I do, it just plays. If only it could also manage my library. I'm testing MusicBee right now. Seems really nice and stable so far.

May 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #49 of 63
Try and disable most of your start up programs besides your antivirus and see if that works. Do you have an old machine?

May 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but my MediaMonkey keeps having fits (various sound drop-outs, stuttering, etc.) whenever my PC is busy. It used to happen in Windows XP, and it's still there in Windows 7. Foobar doesn't seem to care what I do, it just plays. If only it could also manage my library. I'm testing MusicBee right now. Seems really nice and stable so far.

Quote:
Try and disable most of your start up programs besides your antivirus and see if that works. Do you have an old machine?

I had those issues with every program on the PC. Intermittent with some apps and recurring with others. I'm not saying that PCs can't stream audio without it, but since switching to Macs, not a single pop or skipped note.

May 12, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #51 of 63
Quote:

I had those issues with every program on the PC. Intermittent with some apps and recurring with others. I'm not saying that PCs can't stream audio without it, but since switching to Macs, not a single pop or skipped note.

I really don't have these issues though... I did have some popping issues due to my USB port not providing my DACport LX enough Power (Kinda ironic that an alienware area 51 can't properly power this unit from the USB). It could also have been an issue with the MOBO firmware but I'm never going back again...

May 12, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #52 of 63
Try and disable most of your start up programs besides your antivirus and see if that works.

Can't and won't. I actually use the things I have on my PC for work & system security. Also, you are missing my point. Foobar doesn't care what else is going on, it just works. MediaMonkey can't cope with simple things like another app being loaded, not even when given real-time priority.

Do you have an old machine?

It's a new one. MM has had problems on 2 previous PCs as well.

May 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #53 of 63
Quote:
Can't and won't. I actually use the things I have on my PC for work & system security. Also, you are missing my point. Foobar doesn't care what else is going on, it just works. MediaMonkey can't cope with simple things like another app being loaded, not even when given real-time priority.
It's a new one. MM has had problems on 2 previous PCs as well.

I haven't had any problems w/MM on a Core i7 Quad Core w/17GB of RAM. Not sure what else you've loaded on and are actively using. I really haven't loaded up the OS much with background tasks, just an Anti Virus program and some Win7 default apps. Plus no SSD on my system so where there's active disk I/O on the hard drives, it does hiccup during playback from time to time.

May 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

I haven't had any problems w/MM on a Core i7 Quad Core w/17GB of RAM. Not sure what else you've loaded on and are actively using. I really haven't loaded up the OS much with background tasks, just an Anti Virus program and some Win7 default apps. Plus no SSD on my system so where there's active disk I/O on the hard drives, it does hiccup during playback from time to time.

I have 70 processes running on my machine and I don't get those stutters. Apparently thee is something else contributing to the issues. A good chance is it's CPU related. I do have a SSD though and would never go back to conventional HDD for the Operating system.

May 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Are your files stored locally, or on a networked drive?

May 13, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #57 of 63
It's really nice to see people worried about my PC, but I assure you, you need not be. :) I'll make the point for a third time, maybe it will come across: On three PCs, Foobar doesn't stutter, ever, while MediaMonkey does every now and then--with all hardware and software being equal.

May 13, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #58 of 63
Quote:
It's really nice to see people worried about my PC, but I assure you, you need not be.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll make the point for a third time, maybe it will come across: On three PCs, Foobar doesn't stutter, ever, while MediaMonkey does every now and then--with all hardware and software being equal.

You're gonna put your eye out with all of that software!

May 13, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #59 of 63
I have been told the V-Link can cure the occasional pops I hear with any of the  media players out there that I've tried so far. Anyone here using the V-Link? For those who don't know, it's a USB to S/PDIF converter (optical or coax). It basically allows computer's USB output  to be sent to control amps  which do not have a USB input, like my Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro..

May 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #60 of 63
Can't say I've heard the v-link, but the usb converters from m2tech are a good bank for the buck.
Maybe taking a hardware change approach instead of software would make a difference?
I believe the high quality usb converters should clear up any snap, crackle, and pops from your usb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back