Foobar guide for idiots
Jan 29, 2007 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Smasha

Head-Fier
Those playlist tabs at the top(browser,new playlist) and the way things are arranged in the left window are cryptic at best.
Someone help me with this program?

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 43
I just ripped my David Sylvain cd and can't see it in the foobar browser.

I can't rescan my media library cause it is greyed out.

Any one know how to fix this?
icon10.gif

Cheers.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 43
Like that guy... err the guy who likes EAC says: "Go to HA and educate yourself."

Here's the link to get you started: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....bie_User_Guide

To answer your problem with the CD you just ripped. Determine which folder you put it in. Go to the media library settings under preference and add the directory which your music files are in.

Foobar takes learning, which is very easy to do. You change the interface; nobody uses default interface. If you aren't willing to go thru with that, I suggest you stick to WMP, iTunes, etc. Foobar can look awesome, here are just examples: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...2&t=49783&st=0.

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smasha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foobars interface sucks-BIGTIME.

It can be customized to your likings

I still prefer iTunes though and I've tried to get foobar 2k to look and function like iTunes but there is no reason.

I honestly don't know why so many people prefer Foobar 2000 to a lot of other players there is virtually no difference in sound quality people say "Kernal Streaming and ASIO Drivers" Make the sound better.....I say BS even on there website they deny it.

Q: Does foobar2000 sound better than other players?
A: No. Most of “sound quality differences” people “hear” are placebo effect (at least with real music), as actual differences in produced sound data are below their noise floor (1 or 2 last bits in 16bit samples). Foobar2000 has sound processing features such as software resampling or 24bit output on new high-end soundcards, but most of other mainstream players are capable of doing the same by now.

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can be customized to your likings

I still prefer iTunes though and I've tried to get foobar 2k to look and function like iTunes but there is no reason.

I honestly don't know why so many people prefer Foobar 2000 to a lot of other players there is virtually no difference in sound quality people say "Kernal Streaming and ASIO Drivers" Make the sound better.....I say BS even on there website they deny it.

Q: Does foobar2000 sound better than other players?
A: No. Most of “sound quality differences” people “hear” are placebo effect (at least with real music), as actual differences in produced sound data are below their noise floor (1 or 2 last bits in 16bit samples). Foobar2000 has sound processing features such as software resampling or 24bit output on new high-end soundcards, but most of other mainstream players are capable of doing the same by now.

No, but foobar makes it easier to add components Imo. For example, I've never seen a good WMP/iTunes crossfeed, Dolby Headphone wrapper or any DSP's that's easy as placing a dll file in a folder, a very customizable UI, etc.

We (or at least I) don't use foobar for "quality", it's just a fun customizable toy.

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, but foobar makes it easier to add components Imo. For example, I've never seen a good WMP/iTunes crossfeed, Dolby Headphone wrapper or any DSP's that's easy as placing a dll file in a folder, a very customizable UI, etc.

We (or at least I) don't use foobar for "quality", it's just a fun customizable toy.

I agree

it can be customized beyond imagination which is cool but the fact that the iTunes layout is exactly what want so there is almost no reason to use foobar 2k for me at least.

One thing I couldn't get for foobar 2k was when double click an artist there music already starts playing or If i select the artist than double click an album that album will start playing. using foobar I'd have to select the song in the browser after realizing that I was basically trying to get foobar exactly like itunes I decided to just use iTunes.

The only thing I'd like to change on iTunes is the theme and I'd change it to my default theme.

edit: Also Foobar2000 opens faster but I get errors everytime I close it so it's about equal to iTunes for me heh as it takes longer to open

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 43
Foobar is great program...best there is for PC source playback imo. However the UI is garbage and you need to really really read to get it to where you want it. Its obtuse at times, strange how they lay it out. Even more strange trying to get the layout the way you want it.

It took me 3 days to get foobar where i liked the look. To me its plain, easy, eveything placed out evenly. With all the plugins you can get, its the best in my eyes.

Stick it out guys, spend some time here and there with it. Dont just install it and never use itunes or wmp (whatever you use) again. Slowly start at it...pick 1 thing in the interface and research research research, you will find TONS of info on Foobar in google and here on the boards.

When you fall off the horse...you dust off yourself and you get back in the saddle....RAWWWWWW HIIIIIIIIIIIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smasha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foobars interface sucks-BIGTIME.

LOL QTF...
it does suck, for those who don't feel like research and learning. Not to sound mean, but that is the whole point of this forum, to always research, ask questions, and read as much as you can. From what I can tell, you haven't been reading. I thought foobar sucked too couple months ago, now mine looks top notch, and I owe it all to a couple of hours of honest reading and layout setting.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 43
Yeah, foobar is great because of its simplicity. I only use a few addons, basically Navigator Suite, columns_ui (derp!), album art, and browser panels. Really that is all. With browser panels I can browse by Artist, album, and genre. Soon I'll be adding a new panel so I can browse by year. Of course this means I'll have to go through and double check the years on my hundreds of ripped albums against the years on AMG.
evil_smiley.gif
See, foobar really is just a toy for tinkering. Its fun!
biggrin.gif

I don't think I'll ever get into the more complex UIs, like, IMO, single column playlist, which I have spent days messing with and reading about to no avail. I'll just stick with columns_ui and navigator.

Anyone can do a quick search for the thread another Head-Fi'er made on getting a basic foobar ui setup and running. This was what gave me my first "ooooohhhhh, thats how you do it!" moment with foobar. After going through that walk through I was able to start doing things on my own and learning. Now I am very happy with my UI.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL QTF...
it does suck, for those who don't feel like research and learning. Not to sound mean, but that is the whole point of this forum, to always research, ask questions, and read as much as you can. From what I can tell, you haven't been reading. I thought foobar sucked too couple months ago, now mine looks top notch, and I owe it all to a couple of hours of honest reading and layout setting.

Couldnt of said it any better then that....know all know why Hydro is such a smart young lad dont ya? Its cause he is AZN...more powa to ya my azn brudda..

Behold....the powa of RICE!!!

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldnt of said it any better then that....know all know why Hydro is such a smart young lad dont ya? Its cause he is AZN...more powa to ya my azn brudda..

Well I'm uh American!! And if y'all don't like foobar you ken just GEEEET OUT!!

evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif

blink.gif

FYI I am actually white, but with so much asian fetish, my eyes started to permanently squint, my hair color changed from the ultra stress, my brain can now process video much better- hence I do not have seizures form those crazy animation shows, and yea I press the buttons on my burr brown(now TI) graphing calculator rather than the buttons on a girl...
frown.gif

The final stroke came when I replaced a resistor and overclocked my calculator to around 18MHz.. after then I received the honorary kung pow award, and suddenly my arms got a lot less hairier
eggosmile.gif

Actually I'm not young either... @20 calender years, I have tinnitus, am extremely lethargic, 220+ cholesterol, really thin, and cannot run one lap (25meters) without being able to "taste the blood in my lungs" So basically my body is 90 years old- I was going to say 80 years old but an 80 year old man runs laps every morning in short shorts during the winter and it makes me look shameful.

Honestly, being azn sucks, as there are already billions on the planet and you really have to be spectacular to stand out, whereas being white, they go **** a white guy use teh clean dishes NOW!

Plus not to mention looking nerdy no matter what. If you wear glasses they call you nerd, if you don't they call you a gangster wannabe, if you try to look normal, they call you a twinkle. I guess I'm just a proud twinkster..

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 43
I agree the default UI is terrible. The users who have the time, the knowhow and the willpower to dig deeeeeeeeep can obviously tweak it anyway they want. However, I have found out I certainly lack all three and after a couple of hours couldn't even learn the beginnings. So I'm using the default UI and hate it. While being able to tweak the UI is a great feature, IMO the default UI should be a little more advanced. Not just a stupid line of songs.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 43
what I'd like to see is theme packs. That way, fonts, code, etc are all in one file and you don't need to go to a bunch of links and copy paste esoteric code onto multiple layers of menus buried deep within the program. The places you right click and stuff can bring you up different menus, and the settings are so modularized you need to know exactly where to go to even change the settings..

Then again, none of this is in any way annoying since Ive been used to *nix and emacs/vi and foobar is a joke compared to most useful free software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back