Foobar 2000--how do I switch to kernal streaming?
Jun 23, 2003 at 11:46 AM Post #16 of 33
Actually you should choose 24bit padded to 32bit for the Revo with dither on (strong ATH). The data is still 24bit just padded to 32bit with zeros in order to let the processing go through. Even though your source is 16bit, 24bit padded to 32bit output is your best choice because fb2k internally already decodes at 64bit, you'll need to dither down to your soundcard output ANYWAY so choosing 24bit padded to 32bit is the best choice. Unless your soundcard can produce 32bit floating pt or 64 bit floating pt output which the Revo can't.

Rounding errors is why your should dither.

Jun 23, 2003 at 11:49 AM Post #17 of 33
What is ASIO?

asio.jpg

ASIO: Steinberg's low latency,
high performance audio standard

The Audio Stream Input/Output (ASIO) architecture forms the backbone of VST. ASIO addresses any needs a professional audio recording solution might have. It does this by supporting variable bit depths and sample rates, multi-channel operation and synchronization. As a result, the user gets low latency, high performance, easy set up and stable audio recording within VST.

The entire system becomes controllable and offers complete and immediate access to the audio system's capabilities. Since its introduction, ASIO has become a supported standard by many leading audio hardware manufacturers - for good reason.

Jun 23, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #18 of 33
It's weird but kernel streaming sounds much better than ASIO on the Revo. I just moved it into my dad's computer and was surprised by that. It doesn't make sense to me.

Jun 23, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
It's weird but kernel streaming sounds much better than ASIO on the Revo. I just moved it into my dad's computer and was surprised by that. It doesn't make sense to me.

Oh yeah? Hrm. I can't tell any difference at all between kernel streaming and DirectSound, running XP and using an Audiophile 24/96. (Oh, and I'm running digital out to an ART DI/O...)

- Chris

Jun 25, 2003 at 9:46 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by MTRH
Just a little note, KS doesn't 'improve' sound.
it bypasses kmixer, which also means you can disable 'wave' under sndvol32.

It bypasses kmixer, which degrades the sound quality. Therefore improving the sound.

-dd3mon

Jul 4, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #24 of 33
You should be fine with home, but why are you getting home anyways?, pro is better.
-Mag

Jul 31, 2003 at 2:54 PM Post #26 of 33
Okay so here I am, one confused chimp. To me there are 2 unanswered issues:

1) This 'problem' with kernal streaming, is it applicable to ALL versions of Windows, or just some? If so which? I have XP. I.e., do I need to implement a solution or is it already taken care of.

2) It seems there are only 2 ways of providing a solution, either with a plugin for WinAmp (which I detest) or this FooBar (which I havn't bothered trying). Are there any other software players that do this?

I have (and am rather attached to) Sonique. For anyone in the know, help me out with this: Sonique, in its config options, has a field where you select the output. At the moment the only useable option there is "Windows Audio Output". Plugin DSPs appear here if you use them. Anyway, a level deeper, I can configure that output. Here I can select the "Output Device". The options at the moment are "Wave Mapper" (what is that?) and "SB Live! Audio [FFE0]" (my current card) and "modem line playback" :).

Below that are options to configure "Buffer Fragment Size" and "Number of Buffers", set to 32k and 9 respectively.

Does this all mean that Sonique is already, by design, telling Windows where to go? Am I confused, misled, or what. Dammit who apart from me actually uses Sonique?

And any help with those settings?

-- Please don't tell me to upgrade my sound card, a Revolution is already on the way --

Jul 31, 2003 at 3:30 PM Post #27 of 33
badmonkey,

1) kernel streaming isn't the problem it's kmixer. kmixer exists in Win2K and XP as they use WDM driver model for audio. Win9x/ME uses VXD model so kmixer isn't involved. WDM model allows for kmixer bypass called kernel streaming.

2) You can bypass kmixer using kernel streaming or another "direct" API, ASIO. To use either KS or ASIO, the driver and application have to support it. There is a Winamp KS plugin but it's rather basic (no configs) and a good ASIO plugin. Foobar has good KS and ASIO plugins. Other audio players don't support plugins, or have no KS or ASIO plugin written particularly for them. I don't belive Sonique supports these modes so you'll have to use foobar2000 or Winamp.

Jul 31, 2003 at 3:35 PM Post #28 of 33
Okay thanks dude

Just incidentally does that mean that users of Win 98 or Me or whatever actually have no problem, or just that they do and can't fix it?

Secondly if this ASIO is an API, is it not installable as a standalone entity within the Windows driver architecture, rather than a plug in for a media player? I.e. if it was recognized by Windows as an alternative audio output, then wouldn't Sonique give me the option to use it instead of the Windows Audio Output?

Well I don't really know what I'm talking about but I guess that's what these forums are for, thanks for any help.

Jul 31, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #29 of 33
Okay so I did some research on the web, and found this: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...13488,00.html.

Now I'm like What, this is a technology for the cards themselves, and is implemented on the driver API level... which to my logic means that once installed it will affect everything which uses those drivers on the system, so what's the issue? You either have an ASIO compliant card or you don't. What am I missing here? Does the software in fact not take advantage of it unless a plugin makes it?

Jul 31, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #30 of 33
In windows, you can choose which default output device you want to use. This is useful if you have 2 soundcards, one for games (Audigy 2) and one for music/movies (Revo). You can't choose how to the soundcards though. That choice of Wave/MME, DirectSound, ASIO, kernel streaming is in the applications.

Having ASIO in the drivers just means it's a choice, you have the option of using it or not. The plugin interfaces with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back