Foobar 2000--how do I switch to kernal streaming?
Jun 20, 2003 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Patrickhat2001

1000+ Head-Fier
I've seen information on this forum before about how to get Foobar 2000 to talk directly to your soundcard--called kernel streaming--and therefore improve sound quality. The problem is I can no longer find the thread or any other information that will tell me how to do this. Can someone please inform me? Sorry to ask such a simple question but I've search all over this forum andhydrogenaudio and have found no information.

Jun 20, 2003 at 7:08 AM Post #2 of 33
Foobar2000 Menu -> Preferences -> Playback Expander -> Output Expander -> Select kernel streaming from this pull-down. Choices should be kernel streaming, directsound and waveout.

-dd3mon

Jun 20, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 33
Thanks for the reply dd3mon but I have a problem--under the output menu only directsound and waveout appear. Do I need a patch for kernel streaming?

Also instead of Playback Expander and Output Expander I only see Playback and Expander. Could I perhaps be looking in the wrong spot?

Jun 20, 2003 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 33
do you have an old version or something? Mine is .666 (.667 is newest) - and changelog shows that kernel streaming has definitely not been removed.. perhaps your card doesn't support it somehow? d/l new version at:

foobar2000.hydrogenaudio.org

-dd3mon

Jun 20, 2003 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 33
Patrick, what OS are you using?
-Mag

Jun 20, 2003 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 33
My version of Foobar is 0.667 . My operating system is Windows Me.
frown.gif
My soundcard is a M-Audio Revolution.

Jun 20, 2003 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 33
I found this:

"If you just downloaded the installer, you probably just didnt select it during the installation. Just get the zip version of the player on the homepage, and extract foo_ks from it to your FB2000 folder and just enable it in preferences.

Next time, be sure that KS is selected in "output" during the installation."

It works for me. But the sound doesn't improve for me.

Jun 20, 2003 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Patrickhat2001
My version of Foobar is 0.667 . My operating system is Windows Me.
frown.gif
My soundcard is a M-Audio Revolution.

Windows ME is your problem here. Kernel streaming is only supported under Windows 2000 and XP. Upgrade to one of those and try again. Besides, WinME is the MOST HORRIBLE operating system to ever leave the sphincter that is Microsoft. You know all those blue screens(don't tell me you don't see them), Get XP or 2k and they will pretty much disapear.
-Mag

Jun 20, 2003 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 33
this is a fun little trick.

i've turned it on and noticed an improvement in sound.

i'm using xp, latest foobar .667, sonic fury soundcard, and some really old creative speakers.

Jun 20, 2003 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 33
For users of Windows 9X/ME, download the ASIO plugin for FB2k here.

Ignore the jap words & just scroll down the page to the zip file. Unzip then drop the dll into the fb2k folder, select ASIO under output then config it.

IMHO, ASIO is much better than KS, seems to take up less resources on my computer & it doesn't hog the soundcard like KS does.

This ASIO plugin has been tested for bit perfect output by playing a DTS disc to a external decoder without fail. Try it!

Note, your soundcard has to support ASIO 2.0, if my memory serves me right the Revo should support it. At least my M-Audio Delta Dio 2496 does.

Jun 22, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 33
True that, I know all about Windows Me stability problems. May I ask kaiwei, what is ASIO? The link wouldn't work on my computer, big suprise, huh?
tongue.gif

While we are on the subject what is the best way to upgrade from Windows Me to XP? I remember when I first bought my computer it came with an slip for a free upgrade to Windows XP but I didn't take advantage of it then since I didn't know better. I have since lost said slip. Does Microsoft offer the upgrade from Me for free, since it's such a peice of crap, or do I have the retail version?

Jun 23, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 33
KS works fine for me as I'm using w2k, but ASIO doesn't.

My sound card (Terratec DMX 6fire) does support ASIO, but foobar complains about "unsupported output format". Any ideas?

Jun 23, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 33
Changing the output format shouldnt do a thing to the sound. It may in fact make it worse as most audio sources are 16 bit and resampling audio unnecessarily is generally bad. The revo doesntsupport 32 bit and would prolly downsample it to 24, introducing rounding erros I'm sure. Some folks with 24 bit soundcards use the 16 padded to 24 setting and report good results, so there might be some advantage if your card supports 24 bit audio, I plan on seeing for myself when I get an M-audio Revo some time in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back