foobar 0.9 beta is out
May 24, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 21
Yeah baby. Thanks a lot!.
3000smile.gif

May 24, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 21
Be aware that almost no plugins work with the 0.9 beta yet. All the old 0.8.3 plugins will need to be recompiled to work with 0.9, so it may take a while before all the third party plugins are updated.

May 24, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 21
Plugins from 0.8.3 do not work in 0.9, if you wanna try it, I suggest installing in a separate directory. Also the preferences layout has been changed, so things look a bit different. I dont believe there is a KS or ASIO output plugin for 0.9 yet.
-Mag

May 24, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 21
Does it Shuffle and Random effectively? Foobar has really been pissing me off in that realm as of late. iTunes and iPod do SUCH a better job of randomizing the playback. On Foobar, no matter what Shuffle "type" I use, and whether or not I use Random instead, I always get songs repeating and songs from the same album. It's really ridiculous, with about 15 minutes and a few simple variables you could code the perfect and 100% customizable Shuffle/Random functions.

rolleyes.gif

May 25, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 21
If you don't mind a messy-looking playlist try going to the Playlist menu and selecting Sort -> Random. You might want to do it a couple times to get things really randomized, but it does a much better job than just the "Random" setting alone.

May 25, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 21
Thanks for the link! I am trying it out as we speak. So far, I absolutely hate it! Everything is hard to find now and things have been moved around a lot. One of the things I liked about 0.8.3 which is reinstalling as we speak is that everything is logical and easy to find. Now I have to hit the "configure" button just to get to the damn equalizer! Very dumb idea just for the sake of making the list smaller, I'm sure.

Playback isn't half as smooth as it used to be. Seek time has gone way up. Seriously, it took around 5 seconds for it to skip from the beginning to the end of a track just now. With the old one, it's there at the click of my mouse. Also, there's an EXTREMELY irritating fade-out fade-in "feature" that used to absolutely drive me nuts on Winamp that is now present in foobar 0.9! And even worse? No way to disable it. It eats CPU, it causes blips in the beginnings and ends of the tracks sometimes, and adds even more time to the already atrocious seek time. Worst. Idea. Ever!!!

In conclusion, I'm going back to foobar 0.8.3.

The only thing this new version has going for it is that playlist feature, that is, the ability to save, load, and access multiple playlists at the click of a tab. Excellent idea, a really good feature I wish I could add to 0.8.3.

May 25, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 21
I stupidly uninstalled 0.8.3. I didn't know that it wiped out everything. I installed .9 but after I realized the plug-ins wouldn't work I went back. Then spent an hour getting it back like it was before. The moral of the story is back up before uninstall.

May 25, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
If you don't mind a messy-looking playlist try going to the Playlist menu and selecting Sort -> Random. You might want to do it a couple times to get things really randomized, but it does a much better job than just the "Random" setting alone.

Crude, but workable
wink.gif

thanks

May 25, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Does it Shuffle and Random effectively? Foobar has really been pissing me off in that realm as of late. iTunes and iPod do SUCH a better job of randomizing the playback. On Foobar, no matter what Shuffle "type" I use, and whether or not I use Random instead, I always get songs repeating and songs from the same album. It's really ridiculous, with about 15 minutes and a few simple variables you could code the perfect and 100% customizable Shuffle/Random functions.

rolleyes.gif

There is a plugin called foo_shuffle if you haven't tried. It should have some controls on how far in the playlist it jumps and to avoid songs from same album. The default 'random' play order is really just that, random and thus there will be songs repeating etc.

May 25, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
There is a plugin called foo_shuffle if you haven't tried. It should have some controls on how far in the playlist it jumps and to avoid songs from same album. The default 'random' play order is really just that, random and thus there will be songs repeating etc.

sweeeeeet. link?

May 25, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 21
bah... i don't like when a program updates and all compatability with already existing stuff vanishes

i think i might pass on the new one even when it's no longer in beta and all my plugins have versions for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back