Folders on iPod Classic 160gb
Jun 8, 2010 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

librarian

500+ Head-Fier
Is there any way to create folders on the new classic? I just want to drag&drop music folders and then browse in these folders on my ipod. That way, I can allways find what I feel like listening to... I'd rather not deal with tags and itunes management... Any free software out there offer this?

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 21

Quote:
Is there any way to create folders on the new classic? I just want to drag&drop music folders and then browse in these folders on my ipod. That way, I can allways find what I feel like listening to... I'd rather not deal with tags and itunes management... Any free software out there offer this?

nope, no folders. there are other programs, like foobar and mediamonkey, that will let you put your music on the iPod, but I'm pretty sure you'll need tags on your tunes.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 21
If you want to be able to just drag and drop and then browse by folders, I think that Cowon would be a better choice than iPod. Later firmware versions for the Sansa Clip and Fuze also have folder browsing and you can easily transfer music to them by using drag and drop.
However their capacity is much smaller than the iPod Classic's 160GB...

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 21
That's exactly the point. I love my Cowon iAudio7, but it's only 16gb...

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 21
i also prefer folder browsing in general,but when i had ipod classic i managed to get used to the whole artist,album,genre browing.   if you organize all your music in itunes perfectly than it is very easy and comfortable to use.     if you rip your own cd's (like i do) than the whole process is much easier because you can tag all the albums directly in itunes  after each rip..it takes seconds, and the album cover feature is pretty neat! 
I was very dissapointed from the ipod's battery life so i stopped using it.

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 21
I agree with plonter on the importance of organizing and tagging your music. It might be a lot more time consuming than just drag & drop, but a good way of accessing your music (as long as you get used to it).

I am very systematic and I always rip CD:s to wav with EAC, then I use CDex to convert to LAME mp3. Then I use mp3gain to adjust the gain level to around 90-91db (to avoid clipping). I fix the size of the album art myself (usually 272x272, the size my S9 uses and the pictures are always smaller than 31kb - works 100% with all my DAP:s that can display artwork). Finally I use Media monkey or mp3-tag to fix the ID3 tags and add album art in the tags. It is a lot of work, but it is rewarding when I do not get "unknown artist" or something like that. If I get an error it is more likely due to an error during transfer or not very good firmware and database update (Sansa View).

Even if some of my DAP:s can use MSC (or whatever it is called), I still use MTP since it works well when the music is well organized.

If you are prepared to look to older mp3 players there are alternatives that can do folder browsing. Older iRiver HDD players can do that and you can put bigger hard drives in them. However, do you want to go around with a DAP from 2004/2005 in 2010?
(I want, but I like the design of old DAP:s and how easy it is to modify them yourself).

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 21
when ripping with itunes,it is already tagging the tracks,you need only to change the genre to the correct one, so you won't have too many sub genres. for example..i used to put all my metal cd's under metal and not prog-metal,alternative-metal etc. ,they way itunes tags them.
it takes a few seconds after every rip.   itunes already tage the music automatically,you only need to "correct" it.
if you got a mix of tracks from everywhere...it is a mess.  that's why i said that it is best when you rip your own cd's yourself.  

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 21
I ripped my cd's and then got rid of them (most of them), and they are not well tagged. Am I ****ed?

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 21
I did the rips with different software, sometimes not even while being online...There's lot's of problems and I just don't have time fixing everything manually. I will try some software, right now I've downloaded Jaikoz Audio Tagger to see if it is any good...

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
I did the rips with different software, sometimes not even while being online...There's lot's of problems and I just don't have time fixing everything manually. I will try some software, right now I've downloaded Jaikoz Audio Tagger to see if it is any good...

are your files in lossless format?

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #15 of 21
Yes, all lossless. Apple lossless for my iPod Classic 160gb. Also have Wav and FLAC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back