Focal Utopia vs. HIFIMAN HE1000
May 11, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #91 of 146
I think one point which bears mentioning is that if you are a big fan of OTL or SE tube amps, the HE-1000 with its purely resistive load is a clear winner IMO. Mated to the Allnic HPA-5000XL, this is easily my favorite combination in over 15 years of buying and selling. This setup has a massive, palpable "singer in the room" feeling which I don't get from the Utopias. The Utopias present so differently from the HE-1000 that to my ears, it should be clear upon first listen which you prefer depending on your listening tastes.

May 11, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #92 of 146
I think one point which bears mentioning is that if you are a big fan of OTL or SE tube amps, the HE-1000 with its purely resistive load is a clear winner IMO. Mated to the Allnic HPA-5000XL, this is easily my favorite combination in over 15 years of buying and selling. This setup has a massive, palpable "singer in the room" feeling which I don't get from the Utopias. The Utopias present so differently from the HE-1000 that to my ears, it should be clear upon first listen which you prefer depending on your listening tastes.

Have you listen to the HEK V2 and compared to HEK V1???

Did you do any mods to your HEK?
What DAC are you using?

May 14, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #93 of 146

Did you do any mods to your HEK?
What DAC are you using?

Have not heard the V2's. No mods to my HE-1000. DAC is straight from my computer's ESI Juli@. The Juli@ is an amazing source for the money... obviously doesn't better the Lampi or PS Audio DAC's I've run in my loudspeaker setup, but dollar for dollar it is more than good enough for an already $8k+ headphone rig. I can't say enough positive things about the Allnic, that is a true bargain even at it's relatively high price point and easily matches the performance of the ARC ref 75/ls28 combo I use with my loudspeakers.

May 14, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #94 of 146
Were there ever any good mods for the HEK v1?

Also my stance of the HEK v2 being better than Utopia has only gotten more reassured to me as of late.. although my respect for hifiman has gone down. They release flagships wayyyyy too often and their newest is set to be 6k. I won't be owning any hifiman out of lack of respect but some of their cans still sound amazing to me.

May 15, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #95 of 146
their newest is set to be 6k.
I heard them and the resolution is at too similar a level to make any notes,
But the soundstage is different..
Closer with more bass control and taller but seemingly less soundstage,
So unless they changed it I feel that model is just a preference and conversation piece to say you have their best.

Yes I made 3 and you would have to google it,
as it's on another site which is known for having the headphone mods of the hd800.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #96 of 146
I think this is one of those cases in which "to each his own (ears)" is very true..... I own Utopia, and both HEK v1 and v2.... well, to my ears, Utopia is a league ahead of HEK (no matter v1 or v2) for my liking... much more vivid and "alive", much more dynamic, much more controlled and at the same time punchy.

the only area where HEK is a little bit ahead is the soundstage, more open and spacious. but since I tipically listen to jazz/funky/rock that's not a point for me.

since I got Utopia, both HEKs are taking dust on the stands......

of course, the above is only IMHO.

I tipically listen with an Analog + custom 300B SE , but the same (if not even more) result is with my secondary Vega+Taurus chain

PS I have been a great fan of HiFiman cans, I currently own HE500 - HE6 - HEK v1 and v2, and have owned HE560 and others. but my ears are telling me that Utopia is way ahead. hopefully HiFiman will return first with the next can

May 15, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #97 of 146
my ears are telling me that Utopia is way ahead. hopefully HiFiman will return first with the next can
Utopia definitely excells with the type music you posted and I think that new Hifiman "Susvara" also goes in that direction of more forward clarity or excitement over neutrality or soundstage.
So Yeah there is no absolute headphone choice.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #99 of 146
From my short listening session, I would say ED6/Susvara is definitely a step up on HEKv2, and dare I say, impressed me more than Shangri-La did. Will get another chance to have some quality time with them in a couple of days time. Let's see if the sound signature of them have changed. (...PM me in private if you need me to ask Fang any questions)

Have owned HE-500, HE-560, HE-6 (x2), HEKv1 and HEKv2, and some here know that I am very critical of HEM in the past not due to the sound quality of they products but rather the build quality, business ethics and pricing. However since having my HEKv2, it has been my go-to headphone whenever I get time to enjoy some headphone time (otherwise I have been using my portable setup all the time). I loved my Utopia and the resolution, mids and all round top notch sound quality, but Utopia can be pretty much "on the edge" all the time while I do enjoy the more relaxed and expanded soundstage of my HEKv2. In a dark, quiet middle of night listening session, I will absolutely not touch my Utopia because it can be too much of a good thing for me to relax and sunk deep into my musical enjoyment.

...and yes the v2 definitely trumped over v1 in many way and it is a much more comfortable headphone for me.

These are just my one man's opinion, my listening taste and how I enjoy my headphone so YMMV

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #100 of 146
Can't wait to receive the Susvara next week in stock. HiFiMAN is being audacious in terms of pricing, but seeing as the HE1000 v2 is my favorite "affordable" headphone of all time, I'm excited to see how it will compete with Susvara.

For reference, I own the HD800/HE6/HE1000 v2.

I ultimately chose the latest over the Utopia because it's more in touch with the music. It's literally the best headphone I've tried after the Sennheiser HE1 which I showcased with Sennheiser at the Montreal Audio Show.

More to come next week hopefully! :)

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 18, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #101 of 146
I found both headphones very amplification dependant. The Utopias are, to me, simply so brutally revealing of everything upstream that they could sound less than ideal even from excellent gear, making the HD800 seem highly forgiving in comparison. But they don't sound bad out of anything I used them with.

The HE1000 just seems to me only to wake up when using a serious tube amp, of the ones I tried at least.

See my review:

I did a "tape mod" covering the reflective surfaces with surgical tape, which reduce the internal reflections and improved things, though not as much the V2 did. I suspect that a certain type of acoustic foam that is used in another pair of headphones I have here, if applied in the gap between the ear pads and the driver housing, would increase the bass and stop the reflections, making for a kickass pair of headphones, but I never got around to trying it.

May 18, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #103 of 146
The HE1000 just seems to me only to wake up when using a serious tube amp, of the ones I tried at least.
I've only heard the HE1000v2 out of my Sony TA-ZH1ES and they sound stunningly good.

Comments like yours about tube amps, or the people that say they need to be run off of a speaker amp really make me wonder what i'm missing, or if the TA-ZH1ES just does a better job with them than a lot of other amps.

May 19, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #104 of 146
I did a "tape mod" covering the reflective surfaces with surgical tape, which reduce the internal reflections and improved things,
Thanks for that surgical tape advice!

I am currently using it to replace inferior stock paper tape on certain head phones..

As the good version of this surgical tape uses cloth, which works excellent.

Oh and I plum overlooked we have all info in mod thread here for the HEK which is also excellent advice.

I was really satisfied with the HEK with the mods, untill I heard the V2,
lol

I've only heard the HE1000v2 out of my Sony TA-ZH1ES and they sound stunningly good

That Sony is a stunning unit.
New type of feedback implementation and custom SS device I see.

Yeah the SS Tech today definitely improving.
For example, the Chord Dave (its headphone out Jack ) was the first time I could not even nitpick a SS unit as it was so excellent.

Before that I was convinced to use Tube (for amps).
:)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #105 of 146
I was one of the monthly winners of the V1 to V2 upgrade and have spent a few weeks comparing the HEK V1 to V2. Sound quality wise the biggest difference I noticed was the V2 cleaned up the slightly boomy and bouncy sub bass. The result was the headphone sounded cleaner and more transparent overall. The side effect of this is the sub bass extension appears to go deeper on the V1, and the V1 sounds slightly warmer. There is a bit more coloration and character with the V1, but not in a bad way. If I had to pick one, it'd be the V2 since I also appreciate the cleaner sound but I think either would make me happy.

The build quality is better on the V2. I most appreciate the teflon pads between the headphone swivels. The squeaking metal on metal sound on the V1 bothered me and made them feel cheap. This is fixed in the V2. No sounds at all when swiveling the earcups.

My impressions between the V1 & Utopia is still unchanged with the V2 & Utopia. I still think the Utopia has the technical edge in clarity, imaging and speed. But the V1/V2 has the edge in soundstage and tonality. The Utopias are still a bit too bright for my preference and they can be fatiguing for long listening sessions.

If I had to keep one, it'd be the HEK V2. The sound is just about perfect for me. But the Utopias aren't going anywhere yet..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back