Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #1,802 of 1,971
Crazy pricing is a thing on luxury product though. How much would a gas cap replacement cost for a Ferrari?
My personal take is that Utopia occupies a dual space of high end headphone AND luxury item that other flagship headphones haven’t attempted to replicate. Susvara and 1266 are two that don’t have the same luxury feel that might appeal in the same way. Perhaps Meze are the other o virus luxury item headphone? Just holding an Empy 2 you know it’s something special as a design object.
Pricing woudnt be that bad if they designed headband properly...
Meze headband padding doesnt look hard to replace. Orpheus 2 Also have good design for headband.

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #1,804 of 1,971
Crazy pricing is a thing on luxury product though. How much would a gas cap replacement cost for a Ferrari?
My personal take is that Utopia occupies a dual space of high end headphone AND luxury item that other flagship headphones haven’t attempted to replicate. Susvara and 1266 are two that don’t have the same luxury feel that might appeal in the same way. Perhaps Meze are the other o virus luxury item headphone? Just holding an Empy 2 you know it’s something special as a design object.
I paid $4k for my OG Utopia shortly after it was introduced, which means it probably cost Focal less than $1k to produce (BOM is typically 20% of retail on luxury audio products, sometimes even less). Focal made a major design error in not making just the pad easily replaceable, and I was quoted $1600 to replace the entire headband, which is way beyond abusive! I heartily second the recommendation to use a knit wrap to protect the Utopia headband pad, or it will absorb hair/scalp oils over time and become tacky. If you buy one in black, it blends in pretty well with the headphone. I also found it to increase the comfort atop my head, FWIW.

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #1,805 of 1,971
How much would a gas cap replacement cost for a Ferrari?
Even Ferrari found a pragmatic way to redesign the fuel cap— they completely got rid of them behind the fuel door on models like the 812, F8, SF90, Portofino, Roma, and Purosangue. Focal has no excuse for a headband design that has been highly criticized for the replacement costs, construction, and staining by Clear and Stellia owners. The prices are hard to take seriously given they already cut costs by using the same headband across their range. It’s a poor design.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #1,806 of 1,971
I paid $4k for my OG Utopia shortly after it was introduced, which means it probably cost Focal less than $1k to produce (BOM is typically 20% of retail on luxury audio products, sometimes even less). Focal made a major design error in not making just the pad easily replaceable, and I was quoted $1600 to replace the entire headband, which is way beyond abusive! I heartily second the recommendation to use a knit wrap to protect the Utopia headband pad, or it will absorb hair/scalp oils over time and become tacky. If you buy one in black, it blends in pretty well with the headphone. I also found it to increase the comfort atop my head, FWIW.
Focal as a company has some of the highest margined products in the audio industry. if you push your dealer enough and they think you are a long term customer they can work with you on discounts. I can’t imagine paying MSRP on any focal product.

sound is sublime so all is forgiven - almost all 🤣

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #1,807 of 1,971
Utopia 2022 looks amazing, but that Headband design bothers me...
I mean they make earpads easily replacable , but not headband padding?
They have perfect example of Sennheiser with its cheap and easily replacable headband padding.

I think i paid 30 euro for hd800S heaband padding replacement... How much it would cost for Utopia? i dont even see such parts.
Manufacturers need to fix such design flaw.
the utopia's headband has given me more than six years of comfortable service and shows no sign of deterioration or wear. i wouldn't characterize it as a 'design flaw' that focal 'need to fix'.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,808 of 1,971
Focal as a company has some of the highest margined products in the audio industry. if you push your dealer enough and they think you are a long term customer they can work with you on discounts. I can’t imagine paying MSRP on any focal product.

sound is sublime so all is forgiven - almost all 🤣
As stated, I bought it shortly after it was introduced. Dealers don't tend to offer discounts on TOTL products which are brand new to the market. The Source AV was offering a 10% CanJam discount, which basically covered the sales tax. I actually felt $4k was a reasonable price, as the Utopia featured a unique Beryllium driver, and was far and away the best headphone I heard at that show. Seven years later, it's more toward the bottom of my personal top 10 list, and I wouldn't pay anywhere near retail for one, especially given the various design and support issues.

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #1,810 of 1,971
As stated, I bought it shortly after it was introduced. Dealers don't tend to offer discounts on TOTL products which are brand new to the market. The Source AV was offering a 10% CanJam discount, which basically covered the sales tax. I actually felt $4k was a reasonable price, as the Utopia featured a unique Beryllium driver, and was far and away the best headphone I heard at that show. Seven years later, it's more toward the bottom of my personal top 10 list, and I wouldn't pay anywhere near retail for one, especially given the various design and support issues.
what’s your current top 3?

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #1,811 of 1,971
Apologies, I’ve not been clear. I suspect Focal might be unwilling to compromise the aesthetic for a reworked headband (for now). I assume it’s not hurting sales in a way that is making them change. A look through the entire Focal catalogue shows as you ascend the performance ladder you gain more and more distinct styling. A feast for the eyes as well as the ears, as it were (regardless of anyone’s personal style preferences).

It’s like the fabric wrist bands packaged with some luxury watches - the look incredible until they stain with sweat or anything else. But people still use them. Why? Because they look incredible. I do know a few people who decided on Focal headphones because of how they look. For those people the sound of lots of headphones were completely acceptable so they went on style and comfort. Nothing wrong with that at all.

When people buy luxury products (my weakness is dress shoes) they expect outstanding construction and outstanding style. There’s an acceptance that the product will, over time, begin to wear. When it comes to shoes I take the best possible care with the leathers and very much enjoy the look of a well looked after 10 year old shoe; the developing patina, the creases put there by my own feet, specific to me, that speak to the history of the thing at hand and my relationship to it. For me, a shoe isn’t just a disposable utility.

I feel the same way about my hifi. It’s a collection of gear I’ve arrived at after nearly thirty years of a journey. Every piece speaks to a design aesthetic, sometimes to the individual who made it with their hands, to innovative technologies, or to personal milestones. To me, that’s what luxury items can bring.

I can see people being frustrated by the replacement cost of the headband, but not me (’d be sad to have to pay it though). I look after this (expensive) headphone, it’s leather, it’s moving parts, it’s storage, because I want it to be with me for ten or more years. I don’t handle it without washing my hands. I’ll wipe it clean if my head is a bit sweaty or my hair oily. When I’m finished it gets put away out of the light and dust. Luxury is a beautiful thing worth preserving. In our house we believe in owning fewer things and things we do own being worth the effort to preserve.

So you can see I don’t consider my hifi as just a means to an end. Were I more utilitarian I’d probably think differently. In the end, my point is, for all the reasons above, a luxury item is there for much more than its functionality. Take away its beauty and aesthetic purpose and it’s no longer a luxury product. Compromise its industrial design and the same happens.

And it sounds fricken wonderful.

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #1,812 of 1,971
what’s your current top 3?
1) HFM Shangri-la
2) HFM Susvara
3) (depending on mood) DCA E3, HFM Shangri-la Junior, STAX X9000

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #1,813 of 1,971
1) HFM Shangri-la
2) HFM Susvara
3) (depending on mood) DCA E3, HFM Shangri-la Junior, STAX X9000
looks like I will have to try E3. No more HFM for me unfortunately.

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #1,815 of 1,971
what's a good at least 2.5 or 3m cable better than the original cable because it's too short. I use the normal cable not the XLR. i have only normal connector with OBJ2 mayflower Amp and Gsx1000 sound card.

should I change to TRS or RCA connector?
would I hear any difference between non balanced or it is just the distance usage more than 20m if needed.

I plan to replace the amp +DAC to solo Z8 is it enough? will I be able to still use the GSX1000 soundcard?

if I want to use windows dtsX is it still useable with new amp + DAC? because it limited to 24bit 48000hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back