Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Dec 18, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #1,771 of 1,972
Didn't see this - i did! It's beautiful.

My HD800S actually had the biggest improvement. Didn't really enjoy them too much on the Topping stack. First thing I used on the tubes. Immediately a different headphone. Soundstage was even better, it actually had an enjoyable bass presentation, and it took away a lot of the overly bright characteristics I felt it had.

On my Final D8000 Pro LE's it's just as gorgeous. Super enjoyable experience. Can't say much about the sound without listening more to it.

The utopias are a bit of a different story though. Sometimes I feel like it adds a bit too much bass and can be shouty. Overall it still sounds really good, but it's lost a bit of imaging/clarity and can sound muddy. As where on the A90 it was super clean for its imaging. Still making my mind up on how I feel about it.

I've not used it a huge amount with my IEM's since I'll need to sit directly in front of it for that. Cables are just slightly too short at 1.2m. Will need to buy an extension for it.
Great to hear that you are enjoying it. I love my MK2. I’m still not sold on my Utopia 2022’s though - I’ve been using them with a silver cable, and I just find them very fatiguing compared to my Empyreans (which are definitely laid-back, but I give it a little EQ boost in Roon to make up for that). I’ve got a copper cable coming today for the Utopia, hoping that makes a difference.

Dec 18, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #1,772 of 1,972
Great to hear that you are enjoying it. I love my MK2. I’m still not sold on my Utopia 2022’s though - I’ve been using them with a silver cable, and I just find them very fatiguing compared to my Empyreans (which are definitely laid-back, but I give it a little EQ boost in Roon to make up for that). I’ve got a copper cable coming today for the Utopia, hoping that makes a difference.
You will enjoy the U22 more with a copper Cable. But I believe the Hybrid cable is where the U22 really shines.

Dec 18, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #1,774 of 1,972
You will enjoy the U22 more with a copper Cable. But I believe the Hybrid cable is where the U22 really shines.
I completely agree with you. I use my U22 with Norne Skollvar (hybrid copper/silver) and imho it's a total blissful combo for my sound preference. It still has that detail and clarity, but without ever missing that body.

I've tried comparing the U22 with pure silver and pure copper cable, and to me the hybrid is the most complete sounding.

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #1,776 of 1,972
Sorry guys if I missed the post… how would you guys describe Bass impact/slam and tightness between Utopia OG and 2022? Thanks.
I think they're quite similar in the bass impact/slam department. I notice the U22 is a tad bit more "warm" in the mid bass, but then again both OG and U22 are very technically capable headphone.

Both the OG and U22 share similar house sound so if you enjoy the OG sound then you're much more likely to enjoy the U22 too. Imo the U22 is more resolving while being less sharp in the treble section compared to the OG (I'm part of the few people that never had treble issue in the OG, but I don't feel like I'm losing out clarity and resolution in the U22).

Hope this helps

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #1,777 of 1,972
If you're listening to them exclusively on the MK2, I get that. I find it less fatiguing on my A90. Primarily because it's got a lot less bass. Love good bass, but I get fatigued by it. The clarity and separation on the A90 is better (on the utopias) IMO because the lack of bass. I'll be looking for a good in-between of the A90 and the MK2 for when I get a TOTL solid state amp. Something a bit warmer than the entirely neutral A90, but not nearly as warm as a tube amp.

I was worried that I wouldn't love the MK2 given its price. But it's had a remarkable impact on everything minus the Utopias.

I'm using the stock cable on my Utopia. Only problem I have with it is the length of it. If I get an after market cable it'll probably be a custom copper from somewhere like oidio sound. In talks with getting a custom SPC cable from them for my HD800s.

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #1,778 of 1,972
If you're listening to them exclusively on the MK2, I get that. I find it less fatiguing on my A90. Primarily because it's got a lot less bass. Love good bass, but I get fatigued by it. The clarity and separation on the A90 is better (on the utopias) IMO because the lack of bass. I'll be looking for a good in-between of the A90 and the MK2 for when I get a TOTL solid state amp. Something a bit warmer than the entirely neutral A90, but not nearly as warm as a tube amp.

I was worried that I wouldn't love the MK2 given its price. But it's had a remarkable impact on everything minus the Utopias.

I'm using the stock cable on my Utopia. Only problem I have with it is the length of it. If I get an after market cable it'll probably be a custom copper from somewhere like oidio sound. In talks with getting a custom SPC cable from them for my HD800s.
I think the U22 stock cable sounds terrible. Definitely gotta change that.

The Moon Black Dragon is certainly pricey, but man it sounds really good. Copper all the way for me on the U22. Sounds absolutely glorious on the HA300-MK2 via 4.4 - maybe the best sound I’ve ever heard in 35 years of chasing hi-fi. Can’t see myself ever using the OCC silver XLR cable again with U22…..

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #1,779 of 1,972
Dec 21, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #1,780 of 1,972
What do you find to be terrible about it?
It’s grey and grainy, lacking detail and clarity. It’s a tad uncomfortable too. Ergonomically. The Utopia is a device that rewards every little improvement, and while cable won’t do as much as an amplifier or a DAC, it’s certainly worthwhile. You don’t put E10 in a Ferrari.

Dec 21, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #1,781 of 1,972
What do you find to be terrible about it?
Aside from the fact that the material they used to make the cable feels awful and is unnecessarily heavy, I think a generally takes all of the strengths of the U22 and lessens them compared to the Moon I just got. Flatter imaging, unexciting - and I’m not talking about treble energy. The OCC silver sounds better too, but it’s more fatiguing than the Moon Black Dragon.

Dec 21, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #1,782 of 1,972
Whilst I no longer subscribe to 'silver is bright ; copper is warm' I do believe that there is some truth to this. I went with the Norne Audio Vykari and it is a magnificent pairing. The thick the gauge, the richer the sound. The DAC/AMP pairing probably has a significant part to play too.

The stock cable was... in a word... boring.

I have a Danceable Lazuli Reference Plus I use with the Utopia OG. It sounds different to the Norne Audio. YMMV as cable apologetics are a very controversial topic. Ergonomics on the Vykari are superb.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #1,783 of 1,972
Whilst I no longer subscribe to 'silver is bright ; copper is warm' I do believe that there is some truth to this. I went with the Norne Audio Vykari and it is a magnificent pairing. The thick the gauge, the richer the sound. The DAC/AMP pairing probably has a significant part to play too.

The stock cable was... in a word... boring.

I have a Danceable Lazuli Reference Plus I use with the Utopia OG. It sounds different to the Norne Audio. YMMV as cable apologetics are a very controversial topic. Ergonomics on the Vykari are superb.
I love Danacabless Hybrid cables. Currently use the Lazuli Rhapsody when traveling and the Lazuli Nirvana in my main setup.

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #1,784 of 1,972
Just ordered a UL+ for my Utopia 2022! It will be a month or so before it ships, but can't wait to try it!

I received my LTA UltraLinear+ recently, for use with the Utopia22. First high-end tube amp I've ever heard, and I'm impressed by the improved soundstage and "realism" over a SS amp. It seems one step closer to listening to music live.

Detail doesn't seem lost (this was my main fear), but just presented in a less "edgy" way, compared to using the headphone out from my DAC. Not sure I would call that "feathering", but maybe just a more natural rendering of detail. But I have yet to compare closely.

Thanks to @PaisleyUnderground and @dB Cooper for recommending this amp to me.

@PaisleyUnderground: do you find the UL+ lacking when driving planars? While my main headphone right now is the Utopia22 (with a ZMF Bokeh ordered), I might get something like a Diana TC in the future (or the easier to drive Meze Elite).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back