Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Oct 1, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #1,486 of 1,971
The Enleum and Bliss each have their strengths, one is NOT better than the other contrary to what GoldenSound puts it.

- Both are incredibly transparent.

- The Bliss has no noise whatsoever, whereas you will hear a hiss through the AMP-23R at high enough gain (but this is at a gain which is too much for the highly sensitive Utopia)

- The Bliss sounds cleaner whilst the AMP-23R has more tonal richness.

- Both have incredible bass control, but the AMP-23R with that hint of tonal richness makes the bass sound "faster" and more impactful.

- What the Bliss does do much better is soundstage, it can take a HP like the Utopia that I thought had a "closed in" stage and pulls it way out and makes the HP sound very open.

The DAC is Tambaqui, the Tambaqui-Bliss combo is phenomenal with U'22; the Bliss just provides the best presentation of neutral and allows the Tambaqui to shine right through. Coupled with the soundstage boost, that results in making the Utopia sound its absolute best, sounding like I never thought it could with the Beryllium driver just disappearing all together- very smooth, clean, highly dynamic, crisp and OPEN. It also makes me realize how much more I'm enjoying the U'22 in comparison to the OG.

The Tambaqui-AMP23R combo is not too far off specifically for the U'22. I think that combo will do better with a HP like the Abyss 1266TC which already has a huge soundstage.

I'm familiar with Enleum sound, so your reply truly help me to imagine how the Bliss sound. Thanks!

Oct 7, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #1,487 of 1,971
Hello, I would like to buy a high-end dynamic headphone because it is the most natural for my ears and I would like to ask if anyone can compare the utopia 2022 with the ZMF Átrium or ADX 5000 type headphones? I would also be interested in the comparison in terms of tuning and technical performance. Utópia 2022 how well does it work with a high-end OTL tube amplifier? Feliks audio euphoria Evo.

Oct 7, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #1,489 of 1,971
Hello, I would like to buy a high-end dynamic headphone because it is the most natural for my ears and I would like to ask if anyone can compare the utopia 2022 with the ZMF Átrium or ADX 5000 type headphones? I would also be interested in the comparison in terms of tuning and technical performance. Utópia 2022 how well does it work with a high-end OTL tube amplifier? Feliks audio euphoria Evo.
I’m not sure about the ZMF or ADX, but it’s certainly excellent with the Euforia EVO. It widens and deepens the soundstage, has ample power, and the Utopia 2022 takes full advantage of the beautiful tone colour available.
The only downside for me is that the Euforia’s crossfeed circuit, while successful at pulling sounds outside of your head, adds too much bass for my liking. I use the crossfeed on the Higo2 instead.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #1,490 of 1,971

Yes, and my experience matched the feedback left on his website.
That is I feel it is a more smoother & balanced listen.
I also can listen for much longer, several hours at a time [rather than 1 hour max] ... that alone makes it a win :gs1000smile:for me.
This is with the Neutral filter [still have not got around to listening to the Treble filter yet].
I did have to turn the volume up more as Mitch filters cut only [they do not boost].

Previously never really been a fan of DSP, yet I am impressed with Mitch filters, a very positive experience.
Currently using Roon for the Convolution with signal path of:
-> Volume leveling -> Headroom adjustment [- 3dB] -> Sample rate conversion [352.8 or 384] -> Accurate Sound Convolution filter [Neutral]

IME the Accurate Sound Focal Utopia 2022 FilterSet is a very good positive experience, which enable me to enjoy a more balanced sound for much longer.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #1,491 of 1,971
Yes, and my experience matched the feedback left on his website.
That is I feel it is a more smoother & balanced listen.
I also can listen for much longer, several hours at a time [rather than 1 hour max] ... that alone makes it a win :gs1000smile:for me.
This is with the Neutral filter [still have not got around to listening to the Treble filter yet].
I did have to turn the volume up more as Mitch filters cut only [they do not boost].

Previously never really been a fan of DSP, yet I am impressed with Mitch filters, a very positive experience.
Currently using Roon for the Convolution with signal path of:
-> Volume leveling -> Headroom adjustment [- 3dB] -> Sample rate conversion [352.8 or 384] -> Accurate Sound Convolution filter [Neutral]

IME the Accurate Sound Focal Utopia 2022 FilterSet is a very good positive experience, which enable me to enjoy a more balanced sound for much longer.
thanks for the info man!

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #1,492 of 1,971
Oct 8, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #1,493 of 1,971
I am planning to buy dynamic headphones for my feliks audio euforia evo amplifier. I am thinking between zmf atrium and focal utopia 2022. what do you think?
I play games, watch movies, videos, stream, listen to music in all genres. so you need an all-rounder multimedia sound.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #1,494 of 1,971
I am planning to buy dynamic headphones for my feliks audio euforia evo amplifier. I am thinking between zmf atrium and focal utopia 2022. what do you think?
I play games, watch movies, videos, stream, listen to music in all genres. so you need an all-rounder multimedia sound.
Just to confuse things, is the caldera an option? I personally preferred the caldera over the atrium when demoing

but i really like my older utopia.

this is so personal. Demo if you can!!

Maybe the atrium if you want a slightly more laid back sound, when talking relative, v the utopia that has a bit more detail and is a bit more forward.

take my opinions with a grain of salt as i have not lived with the atrium

Oct 8, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #1,495 of 1,971
For the range of your use cases such as gaming or videos where a wide sound stage is needed, I wouldn’t recommend the Utopia. There are headphones that are considerably less expensive such as the HD 800 S that are better suited to your needs. You should listen to any headphones you‘re considering before purchasing them— this bit of advice will save you thousands.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #1,496 of 1,971
You need to look into the Hifiman HE1000SE. You would be good. I know it’s a Planar, but it would suit your needs and big deals right now.

If you want a Dynamic go look for a used pair of AKG K812. This headphone is a true sleeper great for gaming and music.

Oct 9, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #1,497 of 1,971
The other option is - buy HD800S for gaming or classical music only. And buy another headphone for music such as an Utopia or even LCD3 for modern genres. This way you can you can best of both worlds.

Oct 10, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #1,498 of 1,971
I sold off my Ferrum stack to partially fund the HM1 and have absolutely no regrets.
Ditto. How would you say the Utopia compares to the CA-1A (+ Mitch's filters, Star 8 etc) and other flagships? I currently have the Stealth as king of the hill, and am curious is the Utopia can meaningfully challenge it. #2 is Ca-1a for me, #3 is D8k Pro Le, and I guess 4 is Susvara.

Oct 10, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,499 of 1,971
Ditto. How would you say the Utopia compares to the CA-1A (+ Mitch's filters, Star 8 etc) and other flagships? I currently have the Stealth as king of the hill, and am curious is the Utopia can meaningfully challenge it. #2 is Ca-1a for me, #3 is D8k Pro Le, and I guess 4 is Susvara.
I have the CA-1a, Utopia, and Stealth - love them all. The CA-1A has the most open presentation of them all, but it's also the softest in terms of bass impact. It's very clean bass that goes very low, but the impact is lacking compared to the Utopia and Stealth. They're both a more involved listen and put you closer to the musicians.

I listen to the CA-1a most of the day because it's the most open and comfortable of the three and sounds most like the sound is coming from the room and not headphones I'm wearing. I pull the Utopias for more aggressive genres for their punchiness, or if I'm around the house since they're so efficient. I will use the Stealth when I'm doing critical listening and really want to examine a recording while enjoying it, or if it's noisy outside and I need some isolation.

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #1,500 of 1,971

yo dude! I'm not sure if I can give a meaningful answer in relation to you, primarily because u rate Stealth #1, and for myself I can't seem to like DCA hps; tried them at shows and felt their sound signature was not for me.
also, I have tried mitch filters (original filter for Raal + original interface box, new filters for Raal 1b/ca1a for vm1a, and TC filters) and ultimately I have stopped using them as on my setups I end up with a flatter more neutral sound; I find the sound I get from my hps with other EQ/no filters are more dynamic than with mitch filters.

Anyways, I agree with @ra990. the Utopia is dynamic and super punchy. the air moved by those drivers is amazing and that impact on your eardrums is something else. on my pre/power, the bass is harder hitting than the Abyss TC. yea it doesn't go down as low or has that boom/reverb, but that punch to the ears is really something to behold.

I rate the Utopia highly. if taking from this perspective: sounds great from (almost) any setup, fuss free no pad rolling etc and can be used as a portable, plus no need for high powered amps, comfortable to wear.. I'd put it at #1. those lamb leather pads are so good... maybe the best leather pads I've tried.

ca1a is nice too and I have waxed lyrical about it before, but I'd take the Utopia over it, especially if we're talking about powering it via ti1b box and thru a headphone amp. what I mean is, ca1a can hold it's own if I'm using it through the pre/power combo + ti1b box or if using with vm1a, but I'd take Utopia otherwise if talking about using it with hm1 (or any other hp amp for that matter).

Utopia for me is the greatest all rounder, fuss free headphone I've owned. every time I put it on, I know I'm in for a good time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back