Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Aug 7, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #1,216 of 1,972
For me the 2022 is a very long term keeper. I generally hold into speakers and amps for a very long time. Current DAC/amp from 2018 and I’ve not heard anything of roughly the same price that’s obviously superior. I bought a new amp two months ago that I see myself living with for ten years. My speakers are 2020, still a current model. Streamer from 2020. Great app and sounds excellent. I’ll try to add a new preamp next year and again try to purchase something that will offer a long life of excellent performance.

The joy for me in buying at this level is partly the hunt for something I know really gets me excited. Susvara, LCD-5, Abyss, have all been at home for a trial and all went back. They’re brilliant, but not for me. Nutopia was “the one”. It’s the same with DACs and amps and speakers. Lots of things tried, so I know all of the other stuff at the top of my budget isn’t for me, therefor there's no wondering, either. It tends to eliminate upgradistis.

If I won the lottery I know what I’d buy, and it’s all silly money (to me) stuff. It took a LOT of work to get here. Time, research, trips to other cities to hear things I couldn’t hear locally. My reasoning was that if I’m going to spend AUS$8500 on a speaker amp, I can certainly spend $400 on a cheap airfare and hotel room to somewhere far away to hear it in the flesh.

So to answer the original question, I’ll use Nutopia well past the warranty period. If another Utopia arrives after that which clearly delivers more I’ll consider it, but I doubt that will happen. When has it ever happened at this level that a flagship overhaul has resulted in anything like the debut of the original? Cry once, love happily thereafter. (If it stops working out of warranty, I’ll pay to get it repaired if needed, because that will be cheaper than a new one)

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #1,217 of 1,972
Okay, I’ve pulled the trigger on a Heimdall 2. Listened to a Cardas Parsec and Clear, and a Silver Dragon Premium. Cardas cables had the best ergonomics, Silver Dragon more detail, openness and body to the midrange. I’d honestly be okay with any of them, but from that crop the Dragon was my obvious preference.
I’m a long-time Heimdall 2 user on Stellia and I’ve been very happy, so I’m doing that. Once it’s arrived and used for a few hundred hours I’ll compare it to the Dragon and see what’s what.

Aug 8, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #1,218 of 1,972
Aug 8, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #1,220 of 1,972
Aug 8, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #1,223 of 1,972
For those who like me are waiting for their backordered NUtopias from Adorama, this is what they told me in an email today:
"Unfortunately, the manufacturer is not providing us with an ETA of when to expect this item."
I'm worried they won't deliver, especially since they don't appear to be listed as a dealer on their website.

:rage:

Aug 8, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #1,224 of 1,972
For those who like me are waiting for their backordered NUtopias from Adorama, this is what they told me in an email today:
"Unfortunately, the manufacturer is not providing us with an ETA of when to expect this item."
I'm worried they won't deliver, especially since they don't appear to be listed as a dealer on their website.

:rage:
The ETA is never. They were dropped as a dealer and you should immediately ask for a refund if your card has been charged or authorized.

Aug 9, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #1,225 of 1,972
The ETA is never. They were dropped as a dealer and you should immediately ask for a refund if your card has been charged or authorized.
Source? This is their response today:
"Yes, we are an authorized reseller for Focal products."

They will not charge my card until they ship the headphones, so I will not cancel the order. I'm asking Focal directly and I will report back when they get back to me.

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #1,226 of 1,972
Source? This is their response today:
"Yes, we are an authorized reseller for Focal products."

They will not charge my card until they ship the headphones, so I will not cancel the order. I'm asking Focal directly and I will report back when they get back to me.
I remember seeing a comment here saying that another dealer estimates september or even november? as ETA according to focal's order system. I'm also waiting for the cans as mine is still in backorder.

Aug 10, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #1,228 of 1,972
Never realized there's nearly 10 dB difference between 3.5kHz and 4.5kHz or something is off in those measurements.
He explained that his is the raw measurements whereas the other measurements available on the web are using some kind of compensation or smoothing.

Aug 10, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #1,229 of 1,972
Fake news. This is Focal's response today:

Thank you for contacting us, I would like to confirm that Adorama is an Authorized Focal Headphone Dealer. They are currently in Stock and depending on when their order was placed, should have them already if not shortly.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thank You / Merci

Jimmy Roussos
Focal-Naim America
Technical Support / Customer Service

Aug 10, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #1,230 of 1,972
Fake news. This is Focal's response today:

Thank you for contacting us, I would like to confirm that Adorama is an Authorized Focal Headphone Dealer. They are currently in Stock and depending on when their order was placed, should have them already if not shortly.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thank You / Merci

Jimmy Roussos
Focal-Naim America
Technical Support / Customer Service
Someone from Focal will have to explain why they were removed from their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back