Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Jul 23, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #1,051 of 1,972
So if the Focal reddit account that was frowning on the sale was fake, does that mean headphones.com will now price match?
The code no longer works and most retailers will not match prices on out of stock items— Adorama may have changed the in-stock status intentionally until the code exclusions could be revised.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #1,052 of 1,972
Focal, a french brand, would like to thank its local community with special price: 5000€
while others continent can have a normal price 3000$ ( 2 694€). Yes nearly double the price.

Capture d’écran 2023-07-23 à 14.42.37.png

Capture d’écran 2023-07-23 à 14.39.16.png

Jul 23, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #1,053 of 1,972
Focal, a french brand, would like to thank its local community with special price: 5000€
while others continent can have a normal price 3000$ ( 2 694€). Yes nearly double the price.

I don’t get the goal of the sarcasm.

The price on your first screenshot is not the normal price, it’s Adorama’s offer discussed upper which is rather surprising and uncommon, not “other continent normal price”.

MSRP is 4999 $ in US like here by example :

IMG_0430.png

And it’s without the 20 % French VAT … so with VAT 4999 $ would be around 5400 € … and that’s without adding shipping fees …

FYI if you didn’t knew about it, it’s rather known that Focal MSRP are easily negociable in France, i suggest you ask your dealer and if he don’t want, to try elsewhere.

I personally bought several Focal Headphones (Utopia x2, Clear x2, Radiance) from authorized dealers and not any at MSRP.

And btw your second screenshot is from Son-video.com retailer, not Focal.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #1,054 of 1,972
No sarcasm here.

It means that at 3k$ even Adorama is still making it and can free it's stock.
Making it include the import and all costs!

Feel free to pay what you want.

It just reveal the same scheme than cable pricing.

Even Focal had to open an account in Reddit to justify what's going on.
Account was verified by the mod and the improvisation of dealing with
the pricing reveal is so high that they deleted the account after trying
to justify something about warranty. Yet Adorama is an official dealer.

Prices are going up because brand are testing the market year to year
and when people start to complain about unjustified price hikes only
brand will understand that they are going too far.

Please let me know how the 2022 pricing is justified compared to 2020?

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #1,055 of 1,972
Sorry but this :

is sarcasm, If you don’t think so, read again the sarcasm definition :

IMG_0431.jpeg

And this :

is false as I said earlier, it’s not the normal price.

These were the points of my previous comment, not the justification of the actual MSRP‘s value which is another subject.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #1,056 of 1,972
Please let me know how the 2022 pricing is justified compared to 2020?
After inflation the original 2016 Utopia at $3999 would be $5200 today, which is basically what the 2022 costs, given the latter has a better overall package...Seems like if you're fine with OG Utopia pricing you should be OK with this.

Honestly I think going after Focal over pricing is a little unfair, reason being they have an insanely good lineup at lower price tiers. The Focal Elear in many ways mashed what people expected from a $700 headphone. Then the Elegia, which now goes for what, $400 on Headphones.com delivers insane performance at its price. And the Focal Clear is a headphone which not so long ago was considered the best on the planet by many people, full stop, and you can get it today for $899.

Utopia is expensive but at least you don't need to buy it, Focal have tons of lower tier options which are an incredible listen imo. If they want to make a luxury halo product they have every right to. It's a very niche market and volume is relatively low, and it's not like they're gatekeeping high performance in audio. Fact is there are people out there with a 5k, 10k, 20k, and so on budget. So companies will cater to them too.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #1,058 of 1,972

Don't forget the fact that they released the Elex only for the US market, even when they were made in France and very sough after in Europe.
screwk knows who is behind that awful market policies...

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #1,059 of 1,972
The reddit post seems like BS to me. My order is in processing and credit card still shows a temporary auth. Will update if / when there is a shipping notification
Order shipped. Can't wait to enjoy a new set of cans!

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #1,060 of 1,972
Congrats to the guys who got a great deal on the Utopia.

Focal was full of, you know what, about the warranty. Authorized dealer sold it, so the only thing Focal can do is removal the dealer from their authorized list. The retailer will sell out their inventory and move on.

Not sure why some folks are upset over margins. It’s called business. 50% is nothing compared to some other types of products (ie- software, medicine, etc)

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #1,061 of 1,972
Order shipped. Can't wait to enjoy a new set of cans!
Congrats. I jumped on the Adorama Xmas deal for the Utopia 2020's (Focal dumping old stock) and I've been loving them with my Cavalli Liquid Gold or Liquid Glass. A far better experience than what I had with the Elex, Elegia, and Radiance (albeit on lesser chains). I liked the Clear MG though.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #1,063 of 1,972
Congrats to the guys who got a great deal on the Utopia.

Focal was full of, you know what, about the warranty. Authorized dealer sold it, so the only thing Focal can do is removal the dealer from their authorized list. The retailer will sell out their inventory and move on.

Not sure why some folks are upset over margins. It’s called business. 50% is nothing compared to some other types of products (ie- software, medicine, etc)
Just my opinion. When Utopia 2022 was rumored / announced I was super excited. Mind you, Focal's announcement for their TOTL release was when every other manufacturer was coming out with their new flagship, LCD5, DCA, Stax, etc. I was excited to see what Focal could come up with to a) hopefully disrupt the new bunch of TOTLs b) see what a Utopia successor would be after so many years (Utopia OG and Utopia 2020 are basically the same except for some bells and whistles).

In the end, seems they just rinsed and repeated a new "facelift" and slapped another $1k on it. Slightly underwhelming, market seems to agree with me given how Adorama are offloading these so early for so little.

Jul 24, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #1,064 of 1,972
Living with 2022 fir a while now, having owned the OG for years. 2022 is a refinement, adding sophistication and transparency to the original. It’s still a Focal Utopia, not a new line or model.
If you trace the Utopia speaker line it’s the same thing. Original Diablo Utopia was a statement piece, and the versions since have brought worthwhile advancements in materials and technology. At the same time, you can still trace the lineage. It’s a Diablo Utopia.
It seems that much of the criticism of the 2022 is that it’s not revolutionary. Well, that was the OG. I’ll be very interested in any evolutions of the Susvara and if they’re subtle improvements to an already great headphone. The Abyss headphones are the same, right? 1266 has four versions with updated driver tech and finishes, but they’re from the sane line, not a new model.
And price - adjusted for inflation, 2022 is close to what the OG was in 2016. It’s a premium product and diminishing returns is a real thing. It’s up to the individual to determine if the performance to price ratio is worthwhile. Personal comment - I get a bit down when people criticise the price. Always something to complain about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back