Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Oct 17, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #481 of 1,972
I've never heard the og. I just got the Utopia this morning so I'm sure some burn in and brain burn in is needed. I'm letting them run for a bit then I'll come back to them. I use to own the susvara and I understand the difference between the bass on a totl planar and dynamic. Just wasn't please with initial listen. Last few weeks I've been using the HD800S so it's not like I've had a bass cannon on. I'll give them some burn in time and see how it goes.
Did you feel your pair needed burn in at all? Are you coming from OG?
Sure, I did notice some congestion and bluntedness on the first day of getting the new Utopias, but after about 2 days, it sounded perfect to me.

Oct 17, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #482 of 1,972
Sure, I did notice some congestion and bluntedness on the first day of getting the new Utopias, but after about 2 days, it sounded perfect to me.
Great news! I'm letting mine run and hope they improve. Bluntedness is a good word for the bass out the box.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #483 of 1,972
Introvert and extrovert. Brothers, but different
:grin:

Both are beautiful headphones imo.

Update on the Utopia. After some burn in all day yesterday and last night, they’ve come alive in the lower FR. Much more weight now. Makes them feel like they have a soul. The dynamics and imaging seem to have improved as well. Haven’t heard og but I feel these are right where they need to be for me in the upper FR. I don’t think I’d want more. Very musical, punchy, and engaging. Oh, and I’m very surprised by the stage. Not too narrow and great depth imo.

Compared the bass to radiance and the Utopia is where it needs to be. Radiance is a little much but fun as a closed back, especially in that price range.

D5704373-51E9-4C9D-BD6A-854232BA067F.jpeg

Oct 18, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #484 of 1,972
I've never heard the og. I just got the Utopia this morning so I'm sure some burn in and brain burn in is needed. I'm letting them run for a bit then I'll come back to them. I use to own the susvara and I understand the difference between the bass on a totl planar and dynamic. Just wasn't please with initial listen. Last few weeks I've been using the HD800S so it's not like I've had a bass cannon on. I'll give them some burn in time and see how it goes.
Did you feel your pair needed burn in at all? Are you coming from OG?

I love that there are two schools of thought on this. I prefer to listen to the myriad of subtle to not-so-subtle changes as they happen rather than let them do things unknown to me. A bit like raising your toddler into a child versus handing your toddler to somebody else to bring up and then introduce yourself as their father at some point in the future. LOL.

Oct 18, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #485 of 1,972
I love that there are two schools of thought on this. I prefer to listen to the myriad of subtle to not-so-subtle changes as they happen rather than let them do things unknown to me. A bit like raising your toddler into a child versus handing your toddler to somebody else to bring up and then introduce yourself as their father at some point in the future. LOL.
Haha raising a kid you have control and an impact on their lives. These will be what they are regardless of how I act haha. Some will say it was all in my head. But I only listened a little and stopped for 24hrs while they burned in. Came back and the bass was present. Much more dynamic and had punch. I'd like to think they'll improve some more, we'll see 😁.
And it's not like I was use to something with crazy bass. I used the hd800s while they burned in.

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #487 of 1,972
Is the Utopia 2020 worth to go for over 2022 Utopia at about half the price?

Basically, 2020 is X, 2022 is 2X
I think most people would say the new one is not worth anywhere near double the price.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #488 of 1,972

As a very happy OG owner for the past four years, I'd say yes. Don't let the hype make you believe that the OG is any less awesome just because Focal tweaked some things in the latest version. Either would be a winning choice for me, but if I could get the OG at half the price of the 2022 Utopia, I'd grab it and spend the money saved on something else.

Oct 20, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #490 of 1,972
Thanks guys, had the OG but sold it. Been out of the hobby for a couple years
As your location is Asia/Oceania, A2A in AU have the OG on special.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #491 of 1,972

The Utopia 2022 is not worth it because it is a scam. The Euro is becoming worthless, so how can they increase the price by $1000 for an European product?

American companies like Apple are increasing the price in Europe by 25% for this reason, as the Euro has lost alot of value. So for an European company to charge 25% more while their currency is worthless is a big joke.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #492 of 1,972

I can't speak for the Nutopia, but I've owned my Utopia since mid '18 and it has been nothing but an outstanding, reliable performer for me in every way in my system, and if you can get it BNIB for half price I'd jump all over it especially knowing that you're familiar with its sound signature being you owned it but sold it due to leaving the hobby.

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #493 of 1,972
I can't speak for the Nutopia, but I've owned my Utopia since mid '18 and it has been nothing but an outstanding, reliable performer for me in every way in my system, and if you can get it BNIB for half price I'd jump all over it especially knowing that you're familiar with its sound signature being you owned it but sold it due to leaving the hobby.

another reason was that I felt the fit wasn't as snug as I'd like and that weight was on the heavier side, sonically no complaints whatsoever - brilliant for a DD headphone considering how it performs for said source (used a H2 only back then)

Oct 22, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #494 of 1,972
So when I look at the competition and listen to what I get for 3000/4000/5000 euros....then the Nutopia is fairly priced 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back