Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Oct 3, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #421 of 1,972
I think the Utopia's are great headphones, but my main issue with them is the weight. Change the body material to something lighter and get them to 250-350 grams. Unfortunately I'm sure they'd choose carbon fiber, release it as a limited edition and charge double.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #422 of 1,972
I think the Utopia's are great headphones, but my main issue with them is the weight. Change the body material to something lighter and get them to 250-350 grams. Unfortunately I'm sure they'd choose carbon fiber, release it as a limited edition and charge double.
Not sure what you are referring to. Both OG and Newtopia are already made out of carbon fiber (woven for the OG and forged for the New).

Oct 3, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #424 of 1,972
Day 2 listening impression is that these headphones are chameleons. If you throw on 10 different sounding albums, they will sound like 10 different headphones. Warm, bright, open, intimate, whatever is in the track I'm playing is how it comes out. No coloration, no emphasis to any region. Details are plentiful, speed is impressive, and you can really get some great insight into any mix.

My only complaint wearing them for much of the day...damn these are heavier than I had thought they'd be. I'm used to lighter planar magnetics and these are kind of weighing me down a bit. I have modded the headband with Dekoni nuggets to add support to the right areas for my head. It's taken care of the hotspot I was getting, but the feel of the weight is always kind of there around my head. Maybe I will experiment more with headband padding to get it even better distributed across my head because I feel like these will be worth the effort.

EDIT: latest contraption that has fixed the weight distribution about 90% for me. I am almost at a point where I can forget I'm wearing them. There is hope.

EDIT2: Yes, for the past hour or so, I have not even noticed that I'm wearing them on my head. Goal achieved.

20221003_215036.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #426 of 1,972
Oct 3, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #427 of 1,972
Day 2 listening impression is that these headphones are chameleons. If you throw on 10 different sounding albums, they will sound like 10 different headphones. Warm, bright, open, intimate, whatever is in the track I'm playing is how it comes out. No coloration, no emphasis to any region. Details are plentiful, speed is impressive, and you can really get some great insight into any mix.

My only complaint wearing them for much of the day...damn these are heavier than I had thought they'd be. I'm used to lighter planar magnetics and these are kind of weighing me down a bit. I have modded the headband with Dekoni nuggets to add support to the right areas for my head. It's taken care of the hotspot I was getting, but the feel of the weight is always kind of there around my head. Maybe I will experiment more with headband padding to get it even better distributed across my head because I feel like these will be worth the effort.

EDIT: latest contraption that has fixed the weight distribution about 90% for me. I am almost at a point where I can forget I'm wearing them. There is hope.

You want it lighter?

NOMAX

PS.NUTOPIA is getting a little sister with 345 gramms😉

6A1A3260-E819-4204-8C81-FDC87615BCC5.jpeg

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #429 of 1,972
Believe it or not I purchased it on Amazon. It fits like a glove and I'm using it to keep my headband clean. Plus it provides additional padding.
Can you post a link?

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #431 of 1,972
I'm trying to register the Utopia 2022 to validate the warranty on Focal's website. However, from the dropdown product list, I can only see 'UTOPIA (FIRST GENERATION)'....

Attachments

• 20221004_173947.jpg
    20221004_173947.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Oct 4, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #434 of 1,972
Nutopia warranty obfuscation take 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back