Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Sep 16, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #77 of 1,971
I think the pricing is all out of whack because the community contributes to it. Consider ZMF's new planar. If they didn't price it at $4k, people would think less of it: "Oh, this must not be up there with all the other 4k headphones, this must be a lower tier, can't consider it as 'end-game' for me".

So Focal goes to $5k now in 2022 to keep ahead of the pack and narrow the margin toward the Susvara. And now a messload of people will subconsciously think that it must be 20% better than all those lowly 4k "flagships".

Sep 16, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #78 of 1,971
I think the pricing is all out of whack because the community contributes to it. Consider ZMF's new planar. If they didn't price it at $4k, people would think less of it: "Oh, this must not be up there with all the other 4k headphones, this must be a lower tier, can't consider it as 'end-game' for me".

So Focal goes to $5k now in 2022 to keep ahead of the pack and narrow the margin toward the Susvara. And now a messload of people will subconsciously think that it must be 20% better than all those lowly 4k "flagships".
Where’s Hifiman with the $12000 Susvara 2? 😂

Somebody needs to break the $10k barrier for mainstream flagships ( excluding fringe items like HE1 , Shangri La Sr etc)

Sep 16, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #79 of 1,971
Sep 16, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #80 of 1,971
Where’s Hifiman with the $12000 Susvara 2? 😂

Somebody needs to break the $10k barrier for mainstream flagships ( excluding fringe items like HE1 , Shangri La Sr etc)
Bro don't give anyone any ideas, lol :upside_down: :upside_down: :upside_down:

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #82 of 1,971
Got me xc, got me hook, nothin' more i need, simple as.

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #84 of 1,971
People are debating about new Nvidia graphic cards... I think it was 2000 € for the 4090 and 1500 € for the 4080... I said to them: don't worry, current TOTL headphones are more expensive :sweat:
Got me 1080, nvidia can go milk people for all i care, i'm set with a spare too

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #85 of 1,971
Any Susvara comparison?

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #86 of 1,971
@Ciggavelli
I'll answer your question about Expanse soon...but I think since you have a Stealth you need something fast with body but also bright enough

NOMAX

PS.Abyss is not bad in Sound👍...It is only the student-like constructs 😉
A few words from me about the NEW UTOPIA

I once wrote that if you don't hear the difference right away you should throw it out of the window, but that won't happen from my end
For some, the old Utopia was too sharp on one side or the other.... the new 2022er now is toned down a bit, but in the right place in my opinion
(no worries...not dark as the MG or the LCD5 to my ears)
At this point a big compliment to Clément and Ludovic 👍

I make also big difference in dynamics with my ears
Is it the new voice coil?the new grill?that's a guess...who knows
I still remember putting the new one on in the summer and listening to the first few seconds of a track...oh man...but it really pushes you from the bottom up
What is it? I don't know

Now for the level stability.... I certainly didn't spare it from the 300+ hours of playtime and gave it heavy fare with levels over 95 db without clipping
Again..no problems or driver failures.

Since I also still own the old Utopia...now a word about it.
Which of the two would I prefer?
Clearly the new Utopia 2022...why?more about that later
Sell the old one? No!

There is only one reason to sell your old Utopia, and it has a name
It is the DCA Stealth with his very special qualities compared to the old Utopia as well as the New Utopia points, namely with its tonality👍

But now the big but, as much this is impeccable, things have a hock/a disadvantige to the NEW UTOPIA
It is the technical characteristics of the French that show DCA the rear lights
Speed, propulsion, hardness, accuracy in the low end...all this points here goes clearly to France👍
Also a big advantage of the Utopia...it can be driven on the daps I know of...with the Stealth not...very hard to drive (exept.M17 DC Mode)

In summary/my conclusion

The New Utopia 2022 and the DCA complement each other like no other pair I know of 👍
If I had to choose between the two, I couldn't.😢
Before I do, I'll throw both of them out the window, because I still have a model
which has the characteristics of a NEW UTOPIA and the DCA that combines them like no other and this one goes by the name HE1 😎

I have never had anything like this in the last 20 years...no personal favorite (exept my marblestone)

NOMAX

PS.lol

Oh and last but not least,a big kiss from Austria to .......😘
Good God man!!
You own the HE1???
You win.. 😃

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #87 of 1,971
Sep 16, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #88 of 1,971
The mystery about clipping feature still exist or not, and comparison with DCA Expanse are my main curiosity.

About same time last year we had LCD-5, Diana TC and Meze Elite as new open back TOTL. This year we have Focal Utopia 2022, DCA Expanse and ZMF Caldera. What a great time to become audiophile :gs1000smile:

I think make one specific thread is better for them as it looks more active, and easier to use search button. Still better than what happened with Meze Elite though, they only allowed to kept one particular thread in Sponsor Announcement, none in Summit-Fi Forum.
It’s a great time to be an audiophile if one has deep pocket.

Sep 16, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #89 of 1,971
Good God man!!
You own the HE1???
You win.. 😃
Ok, not current but I have the HE90 and they are pretty new to me, and actually these are about like new. lol

Sep 16, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #90 of 1,971
Damn, I really liked the original Utopia and was hoping the successor would be cheaper, since that's what Hifiman iterations have done historically, for instance. But I guess not 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back