Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Sep 20, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #256 of 1,971
They really shoulda gone with the Grande Utopia designation. I'm hoping that the fact that they didn't means that there may actually be a new better Grande Utopia in the future :fingers_crossed:
LOL, that's almost exactly what will happen bud, they're luxury audio Brand. They will always be releasing more.

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #257 of 1,971
Just saw the FR measurements of old Utopia vs new Utopia.

Guys, this looks like the exact same headphone with a slight reduction in treble. Very much a HD800 and HD800S situation.

I have nothing against Focal releasing an update after 6 years but I expected more than a slight tuning tweak, reliability increase and cosmetic tweaks.

The biggest news here is not the ''greatly improved bass'' claimed by some breathless ''pro'' reviewers (salemen). The biggest news is the greatly improved price. :wink:

$1000 extra for what can be achieved with a few db tweaks in EQ APO in a few minutes.

I'm sure a replacement cable is now $1500 :D

$2500 for new in box original Utopias as dealers liquidate stock looks like a good deal now if you enjoy the Utopia sound.

Improved soundstage? with the same cup and driver dimensions? I'm not buying it without an engineering related explanation.
Improved bass? the FR looks exactly the same. Did they increase bass by 1 db? Even that would be valid if they stated that as a design goal.

I guess I'm being a bit harsh but with a $1000 increase in price they better bring something valuable to the table.

I think we've all forgotten that the HD800 was $1000 when it was launched in 2008. $1000 is now the price increase in flagships :D

Well done to marketing departments everywhere. You guys win. :D
People like to forget where we are in the world right now.
2016's 4000 usd is 4936 usd now.
Really, check inflation calculator. Com
So it actually the same price as the original, it's just people's money worth less now.
Edit: yeah I know different sites gives different answer, it's just really a volatile time right now. So really abate ya'all spending please.

Not like I follow that faithfully, just snagging myself a KSE1200 😛.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #258 of 1,971
This is what the the new Utopia makes so special, it is much more audible than with the old...the airness through the Ear Cup,as well as the reverb tails which are much more relevant here 👍

NEW UTOPIA...yes much airier to my ears
(i mean not soundstage)

Here's an example...

And with this brutality/hardness and speed that this transducer beats the drums 👍....that can not be surpassed I think
( The old one does it very well too)
It makes you piss your pants with joy how that goes off 😎

Also here...Gagas Voice at the beginning...the reverb tails is clearly more perceptible here

Heavenly 😇 👍

NOMAX

PS.Even if it will take time...but I am sure that one or the other will recognize the qualities of the NEW when he fades out the price tag and compared
it side by side with the Old

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #259 of 1,971
This is what the the new Utopia makes so special, it is much more audible than with the old...the airness through the Ear Cup,as well as the reverb tails which are much more relevant here 👍

NEW UTOPIA...yes much airier to my ears
(i mean not soundstage)

Here's an example...

And with this brutality/hardness and speed that this transducer beats the drums 👍....that can not be surpassed I think
( The old one does it very well too)
It makes you piss your pants with joy how that goes off 😎

Also here...Gagas Voice at the beginning...the reverb tails is clearly more perceptible here

Heavenly 😇 👍

NOMAX

PS.Even if it will take time...but I am sure that one or the other will recognize the qualities of the NEW when he fades out the price tag and compared
it side by side with the Old

Hello
You use a totl $5000 headphone to hear Lady Gaga ‘s music? Are you serious guy?

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #260 of 1,971
Hello
Don't be that guy. There's no music that can't be enjoyed on higher end gear.

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #261 of 1,971
Hello

Better?😉

NOMAX

PS.I already know what to take👍...don't worry, I've been doing this for 23 year
Lol 🤪

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #262 of 1,971
Hello
Why not and Lady Gaga is extremely talented. More so than many out there.

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #263 of 1,971
Why not and Lady Gaga is extremely talented. More so than many out there.
Soon you have to apologize for what you listen to or for what you are excited about 😉

NOMAX

PS.And I am sure that I am not the only one who thinks so
To all a nice day with the model and music of his choice 👍

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #265 of 1,971
As someone who has placed the Utopia on my 3 year old’s head. Playing the Wiggles. I can’t really criticise music choices.

I do wish however Nomax could tone down the glowing instant message emoticon replies 🤫

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #268 of 1,971
Totally agree. She has a great voice and inspired writing. She is a great talent with great range in what she can sing as well.
True, which makes her hyper-compressed recordings all the more disappointing.

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #269 of 1,971
True, which makes her hyper-compressed recordings all the more disappointing.
I would agree. I have one album of hers and really want more. Have you heard any that are well recorded?

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #270 of 1,971
I would agree. I have one album of hers and really want more. Have you heard any that are well recorded?
You may can find a live recording, or something she has done with other artist. But no, none of her original albums are as well mastered as her peers. It is likely by design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back