Focal Utopia 2022 Loaner Program @ TTVJAudio.com!
Nov 23, 2022 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Todd

Headphone Vinyl Meister
Member of the Trade: TTVJ Audio
HI All,

We will be sponsoring a Focal Utopia 2022 Loaner program. If you are interested in purchasing this headphone from us, you can sign up (we will take 6 participants) and hear it in you own system for a week befroe sending it on to the next person.

Utopia221.jpg

The newest Focal State of the Art Utopia lists for $4999 and is in stock here at TTVJAudio.com.

The Utopia 2022 will start its journey to the first loaner participant early next week. Please be sure to read the rules and abide by them. Make sure you send all of the info requested! Have fun and look forward to all the new impressions on the Utopia 2022!!!

Loaner Program Rules:

Send your name and address, telephone number and your Head-Fi user name to me (Todd) at todd@ttvjaudio.com. Do NOT PM me as you will not be included in the program without an email.

You will get the loaner for 1 week to use in your home with your system. After your one week is up, you must send it to the next loaner participant. Email me (todd@ttvjaudio.com) the tracking info so I can pass it on to the recipient.

You MUST write a review and post it in this loaner thread. It must be posted in the same thread as this announcement for the loaner program. Please post the review here first and feel free to post it somewhere else if you like!

Once you have received the loaner, email me to let me know you have it and I will send the address for the next person.

Our loaner programs are USA only. We are restricted from shipping/selling outside the USA on most products.

Nov 25, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 10
Here is the list of loaner participants. It is now closed to new applicants. The Utopia 2022 will ship out on Monday to the first participant.

We hope you have fun and we look forward to your impressions of these great new headphones from Focal.

Focal Utopia 2022 Loaner Program Participants

• vo_obgyn
  • dilbertprogrammer
  • Bob Ley
  • DivineCurrent
  • Illyria
  • Mauaudiocr
  • Wasupdog
Todd

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks to Todd for the Focal Utopia 2022 Loaner.

System: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i&BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Chord 2go/Hugo2 (line-level) > McIntosh MHA200 Headphone Amp > Focal Utopia 2022

OR

Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i&BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Chord Poly/Mojo 2 > Focal Utopia 2022

Fit and Finish: Comfortable, not unlike my Focal OG Clears. I had no discomfort with long listening sessions. Overall appearance is beautiful. I prefer this look over the original Utopias. The supplied Balanced 4-pin XLR cable sounded good and handled well.

Bass: The bass quality is excellent. Better bass than my Focal OG Clears. The bass was articulate, tight, and responsive and it was quite natural in presentation. When I listened through the Poly/Mojo 2 combo with the stock MHA200 JJ Electronic tubes, I used just a touch (not much) of Mojo 2 built-in DSP which lifted the Utopia 2022 sub-bass and mid-bass quantity into a region I preferred a bit more.

Midrange: For me, the Utopia 2022 really shines here. I haven’t heard a better midrange in my rig above.The MHA200 headphone amp has a nice midrange presence normally and I felt like the midrange was spot on through the MHA 200 headphone amp and the Utopia 2022. Male and female vocals sounded especially good with the Utopia 2022 without over-emphasis. Vocals were forward-facing and sounded natural. Piano, guitar, cello, and trumpet midrange sounded particularly good on the best recordings. The midrange sound was natural and yet clear and articulate.

Treble: No problem here. Very nice sounding. I noted in the published reviews that there is a bit of a peak at 6 kHz and I believe this peak was responsible for the occasional sibilance (not bothersome) I heard on a few tracks. Cymbals sounded like they do in the jazz club on my favorite drum tracks.

Soundstage: Very good. More expansive than my Focal OG Clear cans. The instrument separation with the Utopia 2022 was superb. Imaging and placement of instruments within the soundstage was excellent and was much improved over the OG Utopias from my recollection. The stage, for me, wrapped around my head and was a good way to the front and to the sides of my ears.

Summary: The Utopia 2022 is nicely tuned out of the box and they sounded great with tube amplification. I swapped out my stock JJ Electronics 12AT7 tubes for my Mulllard ECC81/12AT7/CV4024 tubes on the MHA200 amp and this reigned in the Utopia 2022’s forward sounding midrange a little while providing an even deeper bass. Compared to my Focal OG Clears, the Utopia 2022's have an even more engaging and lively presentation. The OG Clears are not a slouch in comparison, though, and the OG Clears do carry some of the Utopia 2022’s pedigree. Never did I feel fatigued while listening to the Focal Utopia 2022 and it has been on my head pretty much since they arrived at my home. There was good synergy with different music genres. There is exceptional detail resolution and dynamic finesse. The Utopia 2022 is an exceptional performer that showcased no weakness as far as I am concerned. Another super product form Focal. The Utopia 2022’s are one of the best cans I’ve heard - ever.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 10

Focal Utopia 2022: A truly Utopian Experience

Review of the Focal Utopia 2022 headphone by @dilbertprogrammer
Written December 22, 2022

Table of Contents

1. Preface
  2. Pro/Cons/Verdict - TL;DR
  3. Introduction
  4. Price and Specifications
  5. What’s In The Box?
  6. Build, Design, Comfort
  7. Music Source and Chain Components used for Listening Evaluation
  8. Personal Preferences
  9. Examples of Listening Evaluation Tracks
  10. Sound
  11. Comparisons
  12. Wrap-Up, Summary and Conclusion

1. Preface

This review was written after spending one week with a new Focal Utopia 2022 headphone on loan from TTJV as part of their USA Loaner Tour in December 2022.

2. Pros/Cons/Verdict - TL;DR

• Pros: Hyper-resolving, Beautifully balanced, Slightly warm-tilted neutral tuning, No EQ'ing necessary for my tastes, Very comfortable, Absolutely stunning design, Balanced cable included
  • Cons: Steep price, Hyper-revealing (potentially exposing poor recordings/pressings, and/or weak/less-capable links in the audio chain), Soundstage could be bigger, Cables: Lemo connectors meant I was unable to use my other Focal (non-Utopia) cables, Balanced cable length (10 ft) can be unwieldly for desktop use, Single-ended cable seemed a bit short
  • Verdict: The old saying goes "don't meet your heroes" inferring disappointment will certainly ensue. Thankfully that was not the case with the Focal Utopia 2022. The Focal Utopia 2022 is an absolute stunner. It delivers on every level, and it should given it's flagship price tag. Save up your money, pull the trigger, and look forward to making acquaintances with the impressive and engaging Utopia 2022. To quote Ferris Bueller, "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." Rating (5/5 stars): ★★★★

3. Introduction

The Focal Utopia was originally introduced in 2016 and stunned the headphone community delivering detailed sound through it's 40mm, "M"-shaped pure Beryllium-dome drivers.

There have been two releases of the Utopia since the original release in 2016, one in 2020 and then again in 2022.

The 2022 iteration of this headphone has been reworked to introduce numerous sonic and design improvements.

Here is a summary of the changes:
ReleasePriceNotable Changes
1671545870783.png
$3,990--- (Original release) ---
1671545534577.png
$3,990
$4,399 - with premium accessories (now $3,990)

Additional cable and new case
1671545551824.png
$4,999*
  • Honeycomb exterior vent screens to give a more open sound and allow for greater driver movement
  • M-shaped driver grill to improve linearity and treble reproduction accuracy and precision
  • Forged recycled carbon fiber yoke sliders
  • Voice coil has changed from all aluminum to an aluminum(70%)-copper(30%) blend for better speed, detail and reliability
  • Cable connectors now sit flush inside the earcups
  • Premium accessories included
*NOTE: The price increase is directly inline with the inflation rate increase over the years.

4. Price and Specifications

The Focal Utopia 2022 comes in at $4,999 USD and is spec'd as follows:
  • Type: Circum-aural, open-back headphones
  • Impedance: 80 Ohms
  • Sensitivity: 104dB SPL / 1mW @ 1kHz THD <0.2 % @ 1kHz / 100dB SPL
  • Frequency response: 5Hz – 50kHz
  • Speaker driver: 19/16" (40mm) pure beryllium 'M'-shaped dome
  • Weight 1.08lbs (490g)

5. What's In The Box?

You get: Focal Utopia 2022 Headphone (with perforated lambskin memory foam earpads) | Black Faux Leather Case | Carrying Case | 10-ft Balanced Cable | 5-ft Single Ended Cable | 1/4" Adapter | Owner's Manual

Opening the Focal Utopia 2022 is a welcoming, "prepare-yourself-for-luxury" experience. The leather-like exterior and felt-lined interior of the case opens to reveal a carrying case that is a slightly different color than the previous Utopia release.

20221218_111721.jpg

The 4-pin XLR balanced cable and owner's manual are revealed upon opening the smaller case alongside the carrying case.

Opening the carrying case you find the single-ended cable and 1/4" adapter are neatly tucked in place. The headphones are made from premium materials (leather, carbon fiber, aluminum) and created with detailed craftsmanship.

20221218_111747.jpg

6. Build, Design, Comfort

In the hands, the Focal Utopia 2022 both looks and feels like other Focal headphones, though an extra bit more premium. On the head, the weight and clamp are perfectly fine for me, and feel inline with my other Focal headphones.

Looking at the Utopia 2022, you can observe the yokes are now made of recycled carbon fiber -- giving a flaked, patina appearance. The exterior vent screens are now hexagon shaped.

20221216_071536.jpg

The driver grills are now M-shaped.
20221218_115412.jpg

When I weighed these (with the perforated lambskin earpads in place), they came in at 503g, which is 13g above the advertised weight)
20221218_115250.jpg

Daily Driver Usability and Comfort​

Would I wear these during a work video call and not feel self-conscious?
Yes, and I did! The Focal Elex is my usual go-to headphone for video calls as they have the most "traditional" appearance of any the headphones in my collection. The Utopia 2022 served video call duty the entire week I had them.

How is the clamp force?
To me the clamp force was just right -- not too tight, nor too loose. I did not experience any discomfort. The perforated lambskin memory foam earpads are soft and plush and sealed perfectly.

Any hotspots?
Nope! No issues on my head or my ears.

Does it offer "all-day" comfort?
Yes, absolutely! Not even minor adjustments were needed during long listening/working sessions.

How are the cable connectors?
I had no issues swapping between the single-ended and balanced cables. The Lemo connectors make a satisfying "click" when inserting the cable ends into the headphone. The connectors are angled such that the cables did not hit my shoulders when turning my head.

7. Music Source and Chain Components used for Listening Evaluation

• Digital
    • Music: Amazon Music Unlimited | FLAC
    • DAC: Denafrips Ares II
  • Analog
    • Turntable: Technics SL-Q202 (Cartridges: Pickering TLC with DLC stylus, Ortofon 2M Red)
    • Phono preamp: ifi Zen Air Phono
  • Headamps:
    • Schiit Lyr+ (both tube and solid state modes) (Tubes used: RCA 5692, Psvane CV181-TII grey glass)
    • Violectric V280B
    • (I briefly tested with some other headamps, but the two above were the ones primarily used)
  • Cables:
    • Stock: 10ft cable (3m) with 4-point XLR connector and 2 Lemo connectors
    • Stock: 5ft cable (1.5m) with 1/8" (3.5mm) asymmetric TRS Jack connector and 2 Lemo connectors
      + 1/8" (3.5mm) to 1/4" (6.35mm) adapter

20221222_073918.jpg

20221220_154303.jpg

8. Personal Preferences

I am a simple audio fanatic (who is also an IT professional) strapped to a desk for long hours everyday that will enjoy audio when not on video calls for work.

Before I get into the Sound section, I want to share my personal listening preferences to give some perspective. Though I have both hardware and software EQ options at my disposal, I typically prefer not to utilize them for the most part. I'm blessed to not be overly sensitive to any specific frequencies, nor do I have any that always need to be boosted. I instead want each headphone to be able to present itself as intended (at least initially), and then if deemed necessary, make mild tweaks by either utilizing a different amplifier in my chain or changing earpads (if an available option).

Making EQ adjustments is always a last resort for me. I was happy to not feel compelled to make any EQ tweaks during my Utopia 2022 listening sessions.

For my listening sessions I prefer emotional over analytical, warmth and color over sharp and linear. How does the music make me feel? Do I experience any unsolicited emotional (e.g., joy, sadness) or physical responses (chair dancing)? Have the components been able to disappear while listening?

I listen to a wide variety of music genres, but mostly subgenres of rock and alt music. During the week I had the Utopia 2022 I listened to many, many tracks. :)

9. Examples of Listening Evaluation Tracks

Here are just some of the tracks I enjoyed while listening –
  • "Cut Deep - Stripped" by Matt Maeson
    Matt's vocals really shine through in this 'stripped' version of the song.
  • "I Got Mine" by The Black Keys
    I felt like I was sitting at the drum kit with Pat Carney. Positioning of each of the drums and cymbals was fantastic.
  • "Steps in Time" by The Smashing Pumpkins
    Prepare for IMPACT! Jimmy Chamberlin's drums are visceral.
  • "La Grange" by ZZ Top
    I got the sensation of sitting on the stage with the boys in a smoked-filled Texas roadside bar.
  • "Ego Death" by Polyphia
    This song highlighted the Utopia 2022's amazing ability to so precisely position and layer in waves of detail. Great impact too! The bass slaps were "felt".
  • "Lux Æterna" by Metallica
    Lars takes center stage, and then when James's vocals come in the two make for a brute force performance.
  • "The Battle [Star Wars]" by John Williams
    I could envision myself following John Williams's conducting cues while waiting for my chance to play with the orchestra. And of course visions of Imperial and Rebel troops running.
  • "Now's The Time" by Charlie Parker
    Transported to a smoked-filled jazz club right after WWII, sitting on the stage with The Bird. Tapping my foot and bouncing my head the whole time.
  • "These Days" by Foo Fighters
    Right in the center of the studio with Dave, Taylor (RIP) and Butch. Everything is tight and in your face.
  • "Fixing a Hole" by The Beatles
    Positing and imaging of George Martin's production sound incredible.
  • "Back in the Woods" by Rival Sons
    Holy drums Batman. Brace yourself for the drums to shine and force you to tap your foot!
  • "Dogs" (2018 Remix) by Pink Floyd
    I love the Animals 2018 remix. "Dogs" allows every aspect of the Focal Utopia 2022 to really shine. Pinpoint positioning, delicate guitar strums, pistonic motion from the drums, in-your-face vocals and decay are simply great.
  • "Ball and a Biscuit" by The White Stripes
    Have a seat in the studio with Jack and Meg and feel the drums and guitar reverberate through your soul!
  • "Baba O'Riley" by The Who
    Impact, decay and positioning are excellent on this track.

10. Sound

All of the subjective notes below are my thoughts and opinions observed while listening to the Focal Utopia 2022.

First Sound Impressions:​

The overall sound presentation is rich, full-bodied and enveloping/immersive. Tuning, while neutral, is slightly tilted towards warm, but linear and very well balanced overall. Resolution is absolutely amazing. Decay is fantastic. Imaging is very good. The Utopia paired well with my headamps and were powered with ease.

Listening Evaluation Sessions' Notes:​

• Bass: Fast, textured, precise and clear. Authoritatively pleasant pistonic rumble.
  • Mids: Welcomely forward. Drums, vocals (especially male), and guitars are hyper-detailed and shine through with warm realism.
  • Highs: Quick, sharp and realistically detailed without being too bright/sibilant or over-emphasized.
  • Tonality and Timbre: Completely natural and organic across the frequency bands.
  • Resolution: Extreme clarity and transparency. Micro-details are translated quickly and clearly.
  • Soundstage: Limited to a semi-tight headspace but wonderfully airy and three-dimensional within that tight space.
    (The warm solid state Gustard H16 and my hybrid tube headamps -- especially those with two tubes -- increased the stage marginally)
  • Imaging & Layering: Precise, pinpoint placement of each of the instruments and voices, yet presented cohesively.
  • Separation: Excellent; very easy to hear each voice/instrument in the track.
  • Dynamics: Strong impact (always a strength of Focal headphones) and delivered with speed and gusto.

EQ:​

No EQ tweaks were needed which made me very happy!

11. Comparisons

I was interested to A-B test the Focal Utopia with many of my headphones, but especially my other Focal headphones and my Audeze LCD-4.

20221219_124208.jpg

Other Focal Headphones​

I A-B tested the Utopia 2022 with the following Focal headphones* in my collection:
  • Clear OG (with recently refreshed Focal Clear OG earpads)
  • Elex (with Dekoni Elite Velour earpads)
  • Elegia (with Dekoni Elite Hybrid earpads)
*I know this is a bit of an unfair comparison, but these headphones are my only Focal reference points, not having owned or heard the prior Utopia.

Consistent notes across all of my Focal headphones when compared to the Focal Utopia 2022 included:
  • Less resolving and transparent
  • Less revealing and therefore more forgiving
  • Less separation, more congested
  • Less impact, but still great dynamics
  • On-par or better soundstage (expect for the closed-back Elegia)
Other standout deltas (aside from those noted above) were as follows:
  • Clear OG: Closest of the three in detail, but still a significant gap (>50%) away from the level of detail in the Utopia, a bit more fatiguing in the upper register
  • Elex: Darker, less neutral tuning
  • Elegia: Smaller soundstage
20221219_124204.jpg

Flagship Comparison​

I then compared the Focal Utopia 2022 to my Audeze LCD-4, another (former) flagship (albeit planar magnetic, not dynamic driver) headphone.

Here are the standout items I noted while A-B testing with these headphones:
  • Audeze LCD-4
    • Much more power hungry!
    • Wider soundstage
    • Faster
    • Darker, slightly veiled, mellowed and rounded off
    • Slightly better imaging
    • Bigger, more voluminous bass presence
    • Less decay
    • On-par impact
    • Less revealing and therefore more forgiving (especially when spinning vinyl)
20221219_124815.jpg

Do I prefer the Focal Utopia 2022 over my other Focal headphones, and the Audeze LCD-4?​

Do I prefer the Focal Utopia 2022 over my other Focal headphones?
Looking at the overall package, focusing on sonic capabilities and characteristics, (and looking past the price tag), absolutely 100% -- no question about it. The Utopia is easily the pinnacle of Focal headphones. It delivers everything I could want from a dynamic driver headphone and more.

Do I prefer the Focal Utopia 2022 over my Audeze LCD-4?
While the majority of my dynamic driver headphones are from Focal, the majority of headphones in my collection are planar magnetic, and the majority of those planar magnetic headphones are from Audeze. My favorite of those is by far the (former) flagship Audeze LCD-4.

Even though the Utopia 2022 is lighter and easier to drive, I'm not sure the Focal Utopia 2022 could dethrone my Audeze LCD-4 as my favorite headphone, given the music genres to which I typically listen. However, the Focal Utopia 2022 could easily displace several other headphones in my collection and join the Audeze LCD-4 in the rostrum.

For symphonic and jazz music, I especially preferred the Utopia 2022. It felt like I was sitting on the stage with the orchestra/band for the performance, as opposed to sitting in the audience seats watching the performance.

But the majority of music I listen to -- rock and subgenres of rock -- while I still got the sense of being immersed with the musicians, I preferred the tuning and delivery from the Audeze LCD-4.

I think the Audeze LCD-5, the current Audeze TOTL/flagship -- and more referenced tuned -- headphone, might be a more formidable head-to-head contender with the Utopia 2022. Hopefully I will get an opportunity to experience it eventually. :)

Power Needs​

While A-B testing these headphones, it was interesting to observe the different power needs, and adjust each test headamp accordingly.

Headphone (impedance, sensitivity):
  • Focal Utopia 2022 (80 ohms, 104 dB)
  • Focal Clear OG (55 ohms, 104 dB)
  • Focal Elex (80 ohms, 104 dB) -- exactly the same as the Utopia
  • Focal Elegia (35 ohms, 105 dB)
  • Audeze LCD-4 (200 ohms, 97 dB)
The LCD-4 requires the most gain/volume of the Audeze headphones to make them come alive.

12. Wrap-Up, Summary and Conclusion

The Focal Utopia is often lauded as one of the best, if not the best, open-back dynamic driver headphones and after spending a week with them I understand why.

Typically a TOTL/flagship headphone has a signature superlative characteristic (e.g., resolution, build, other special sonic capabilities). The one thing that stands out about the Focal Utopia 2022 is that no one thing stands out -- and that is what makes it so, so good.

The Utopia 2022 provides incredible levels of detail and resolution, served up delicately with speed and precision. The sonic experience is musical and engaging. I found myself discovering new elements to tracks I've heard many times over, and wanting to listen to track after track after track after track after.... you get the point. :wink:

Thanks for taking the time to read my review, and a huge thank you to Todd and the crew at TTVJ for the opportunity to be included in the loaner tour program for these amazing headphones.

If you are interested in the Focal Utopia 2022, you can purchase one from TTVJ here: Focal Utopia 2022

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks Todd for the loaner program.

Utopia 2022

Having experienced the Focal Utopia of 2020, I wasn’t 100% sold on this earlier version, feeling it was too clinical and bright for my tastes, and was curious about what changes the revised 2022 version had. I always judge the value of a headphone on how it makes me feel rather than analyzing all the technical aspects like a scientist. Emotion and musicality mean more to me than reference or analysis

The curiosity paid off! As soon as I put the newer version on, it took a few minutes to understand what was happening. Like an aural wave of comfort, the 2022 Utopia is smoother in all the right places. I didn’t find any obvious traits that limited enjoying what I was listening to. Their overall balance and wide-ranging strengths may be a result of the angling of the drive units inside the earcup, helping to give a more spacious and speaker-like presentation.

Bass has better extension, is punchier and tighter. The midrange has full body and neutrality, with natural timbre, and a sense of separation and layering. The treble is crisp, fast, and provides excellent extension and air, without evidence of sibilance or peakiness.

Utopia 2022 has a large soundstage that provides a sense of width, depth, and height. This three-dimensional feeling of the stereo image creates an immersive listening experience that is precise and holographic, giving a sense of real physicality to the instruments and voices.

The Utopia 2022 is one of the most "effortless" sounding headphones I've listened to, and feels like an overall upgrade, not just an update, and think it’s one of the very best headphones currently out there and could be my one headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 10
Utopia 2022 Impressions/Review

Firstly, I want to give a huge thanks to Todd at TTVJ for setting up this loaner program.

Before getting into the review, I want to add a disclaimer that this style of review is more of an unorganized stream of consciousness, and less of a formally written review. I wanted to include everything I came across with impressions and comparisons on the fly, to better explain how I got to my conclusions about the sound.

Setup:

RME ADI-2 DAC (AKM Version), both as DAC source and headphone amplifier.

Qudelix 5K (to test drive-ability in portable devices)

First impressions

-

With no direct comparison just the Utopia by itself, this is a very neutral and dare I say “flat” sounding headphone. And by that I mean there is basically no warm/bright coloration to my ears. It just sounds so correct straight out of the box. That is a very good thing. Me being a longtime fan of the Sennheiser HD600, the Utopia 2022 reminds me of that headphone in regards to it's tonality. It is also very much like the HD650 and HD660S, both of which are of course very similar to the HD600. I will be comparing the Utopia to both the HD650 and HD660S later on in this review.

In terms of resolution and detail, it is very obvious in the first hour or so of listening that this headphone is incredibly detailed. I have not heard many high end headphones, but these are more detailed and realistic sounding than my Clear MG Pro, Hifiman HE-500, HD650, and HD660S. From memory, these are also more detailed than the HD8XX (and the HD800S I tried before it).

These were my quick first impressions within the first hour of listening. Now let us fast forward to a week later of listening impressions (also with comparisons of my other headphones)

-

Main Review:

I don’t want to focus too much on build in this review, but I just want to say that the Utopia 2022 is one of the most incredible looking headphones I have had the pleasure of trying out. I love the understated black look with red accented drivers on the inside, and I love the addition of the honeycomb grill similar to the Clear MG Pro. For looks alone, this headphone gets a 10/10 from me.

I am happy to report the Utopia 2022 does not have any creaking of the headband, my Clear MG Pro has this issue. However, that creaking developed over almost 2 years of use, so it is too early to tell about longevity in the headband. As far as the rest of the build, the high quality plastic and unique forged carbon fiber throughout adds confidence. It is a very well built headphone.

Comfort, subjectively for me it is very comfortable despite the weight. It is on par with my Clear MG Pro, although slightly less comfortable as my Clear MG Pro pads have broken in and fit perfectly to my head. The Utopia pads are wonderful as well, but I feel like the clamping force on this particular unit is not strong enough to have the pads feel secure on my head. I have a fairly large and tall head, so I need to extend the headband adjustment one click from all the way out in order for it to feel secure and fit correctly.

Onto the sound section:

Summary:

The bass on the Utopia 2022 is very linear, maybe a little lean compared to the Clear MG Pro and the Sennheiser HD650. However, it is incredibly punchy and dynamic in the bass, and hits as hard as what you would expect from a Focal headphone. The clarity in the bass is incredible. You can hear every detail of the bass tones, and the texture is very lifelike. Aside from planars like the Hifiman HE-500, I have not heard bass this well rendered before.

The upper mids are neutral for the most part, but also elevated around 1.3kHz, leading to a tiny bit of shoutiness. Most of the time this is not an issue, and can easily be fixed with EQ. More importantly, the mids sound natural and lifelike.

The treble is the most realistic I have heard, ever. Not bright, not dark, just right. At the same time, it is incredibly revealing and will make bad recordings stand out. The treble texture is very smooth and does not have any noticeable peaks.

-

Next, I would like to go into more detail with comparisons to my other headphones.

Below photo of headphones I tested against the Utopia 2022:

IMG_1644.JPG

Left to right, Utopia 2022, Clear MG Professional, Sennheiser HD660S, Hifiman HE-500

The Utopia’s overall tonal character is a lot like the Sennheiser HD660S + HD650, but on steroids. More detailed, cleaner, clearer, better imaging + soundstage, much better dynamic punch, responsiveness, snappiness. The HD650 is only better at timbre, but honestly it's very close. The insane clarity, realism and detail retrieval of the Utopia makes up for the slight less natural timbre. It's like looking at the recording through a clean glass window, and I know that description is a bit overused but it is especially true with the Utopia. And what is even more amazing is that the Utopia does not have any harshness while still being this detailed. Even the original Clear has some of that metallic timbre to my ears, which is why I chose the Clear MG over it. The Utopia to my ears has none of that metallic timbre, it’s very smooth throughout. The Clear MG was the closest I had heard to a proper HD650 upgrade, but it lost out on the tonality a bit because it is a little too recessed around 4-5 kHz. The Utopia is balanced in this area, and sounds a lot more like the classic Sennheiser HD600 series tonality, but with insane technical ability. Actually, I would say the Utopia resembles the tonality of the HD660S a bit more than the 650. I prefer the 660S over the 650 nowadays, so the Utopia being close to that frequency response is very welcome.

The only part of this headphone I wish was a bit different is the bass. The Utopia’s bass does not stand out, that is to say it is not boosted, although it is very tight and quick. The Clear MG has more bass presence to my ears, with similar punch and impact. However, the Utopia does sound cleaner in the mid bass and sub bass. I just wish it was a few dB more boosted below 100 Hz. That being said, the Utopia also extends further down in the sub bass vs. the Clear MG.

This leads me to using EQ. I like to EQ a lot of my headphones, and this headphones takes to EQ extremely well thanks to the high quality driver. When the bass is boosted a few dB below 70Hz, the strengths of the Utopia over the Clear MG are more apparent. The bass tightness and resolution is better on the Utopia. Other than the bass, there is a small peak at 5.5 kHz of about 4 dB from the rest of the surrounding frequencies (similar peaks in this area are also on the Clear MG and Clear OG), and the typical Focal elevation around 1.3 kHz. This 1.3 kHz elevation makes vocals and midrange focused instruments just a little shouty and nasally, at least compared to the HD650 which is my tonal reference.

In terms of stock, unmodified sound directly out of my RME ADI-2 DAC, the Utopia has a more linear and more natural tonal balance compared to the Clear MG, with the added benefit of more resolution and slightly bigger soundstage. There is just more openness with the Utopia in general, leading to a more realistic image. The perforated leather Utopia pads I think play a part in shaping the response of the Utopia, and I will swap the Utopia pads on the Clear MG later on.

I also tested the Utopia with the Qudelix 5k portable DAC/amp. Even on the single ended mode, it has plenty of power for the Utopia. Of course, the RME ADI-2 DAC delivered more power and headroom, but this tiny amp was able to drive the Utopia perfectly fine.

Compared to the Hifiman HE-500 (tested with Focus-A pads and Sundara pads), the Utopia absolutely wins in the categories of dynamics and tonal balance, and resolution. The impact is punchier. The midrange is more even, and vocals sound more realistic. The HE-500 wins in terms of wider imaging and soundstage. Every Focal headphone I have heard (Elex, Clear OG + MG, Elegia, and now Utopia) has a smaller and closer stage than the HE-500, although the Utopia performs better in this area than any of the other Focal open back headphones. The HE-500 is said by many to have almost concert hall or movie theater-like imaging, and perhaps it is not a fair comparison against the Focal line up which has more intimate staging and imaging. I will say the Utopia does a much better job at instrument placement than the HE-500. In general, the instrument placement is more accurate on the Utopia, and is much easier to pinpoint where objects are in the soundstage space. While the HE-500 just has a sort of general direction off to the front left and front right in most recordings. On top of that, the Utopia just makes the details a lot more obvious. The bass sounds more true to life and dynamic on the Utopia, but more pleasing and immersive on the HE-500. With the Focus-A pads equipped on the HE-500, the timbre is improved a lot, and it sounds almost as natural as the HD650 to my ears. In comparison, the Utopia still has a sharper edge to the notes, and is not as mellow and relaxed as the HE-500. The fact the HE-500, which is a 12 year old headphone in 2023, can compete with the new cutting edge driver of the Focal headphones is remarkable and a testament to how well designed it was by Hifiman back then. Although I suppose it is not too surprising, as planar drivers have many advantages over dynamic drivers.

As I said before, the Focal Utopia, and to a lesser extend the Clear MG, is a great upgrade in general to the Sennheiser HD660S and 650. Specifically to the HD660S, as it takes the strengths of that headphone and improves upon them. The overall tonality is very similar on the Utopia, but it is noticeably brighter than the 660S, and the presentation is much more energetic. One of the main strengths of the HD660S is the natural midrange, and the Utopia is almost on par with it. That goes to show just how impressive the mids are on the Sennheiser headphones, they really do compete with TOTL headphones. The Utopia is also a lot more dynamic and punchy. The resolution and detail are obviously much better as well. Of course, you would expect these kind of improvements in the Utopia, which costs more than 10 times the 660S.

This is a scoring of a few categories with these 3 headphones in this comparison. This scoring is done with no EQ involved, with no other equipment except the headphone out of the RME ADI-2 DAC: (a score of 10 here means it is among the best I have heard, and may not be the best ever as I have not heard everything in the high end. This is a very subjective score, don't take it too seriously :))

Hifiman HE-500 (no EQ):

Overall Tonality: 8.5
Timbre: 7.5
Bass Quality: 10
Bass Extension: 10
Bass Impact: 8.5
Midrange Quality: 7
Treble Quality: 8.5
Soundstage: 9
Imaging: 9.5
Resolution: 8.5
Dynamics: 8
Sense of realism: 9

Focal Clear MG (no EQ):

Overall Tonality: 8.5
Timbre: 8.5
Bass Quality: 9
Bass Extension: 8.5
Bass Impact: 10
Midrange Quality: 8.5
Soundstage: 7
Imaging: 8
Dynamics: 10
Sense of realism: 8.5

Focal Utopia 2022 (no EQ):

Overall Tonality: 9
Bass Quality: 9.5
Bass Extension: 9.5
Bass Impact: 9
Midrange Quality: 9.5
Treble Quality: 10
Soundstage: 8
Imaging: 9
Resolution: 10
Sense of realism: 10

Sennheiser HD 660S (no EQ):

Overall Tonality: 9.5
Timbre: 9.5
Bass Quality: 8
Bass Extension: 7
Bass Impact: 7.5
Midrange Quality: 9
Treble Quality: 9
Dynamics: 7.5

When we bring EQ into the comparison, things change a bit. With my particular EQ profile, the Clear MG and the HE-500 sound more pleasing and enjoyable than the Utopia in stock form. Adding EQ to the Utopia can improve the bass a lot in my testing. When equalized to the same bass level as the Clear MG, it becomes apparent that the bass is faster, more controlled, and more detailed on the Utopia, while the Clear MG has a little bit more weight and “wetness” if that makes sense. The Utopia’s bass does extend more into the sub bass, and produces the low rumble frequencies more accurately than the Clear MG. The details in the bass also come out much easier on the Utopia, while the Clear MG’s bass can mask the details occasionally depending on the track. Both Focal headphones lose to the planar bass quality of the HE-500, which is more enveloping and larger sounding, and has the extension planars are known for. However, the HE-500 has less impact in the bass as the Focal headphones, and looses in dynamics. When it comes to midrange, the Utopia brings out the details better, but the Clear MG is warmer in the whole midrange, taking away the harshness you might find some recordings. In general, with and without EQ, the Clear MG makes harsh recordings sound better. From the lower treble upwards, the Utopia easily beats out the Clear MG in naturalness and realism, both with and without EQ. The Clear MG’s treble sounds closed in and a little muffled in direct comparison to the Utopia, and the stage sounds a little closed in as well.

EQ cannot change everything about the sound profile, but it gets each of these headphones very close in tonality. With my EQ profiles that resemble the tonality of the HD650/HD660S, below is the scoring (everything soundstage and below did not change)

Hifiman HE-500 (with EQ):

Bass Quality: 10
Bass Extension: 10
Bass Impact: 9
Midrange Quality: 8
Treble Quality: 9
Soundstage: 9
Imaging: 9.5
Dynamics: 8

Focal Clear MG (with EQ):

Timbre: 9
Bass Quality: 9
Bass Extension: 9
Midrange Quality: 9
Imaging: 8

Focal Utopia 2022 (with EQ):

Bass Quality: 9.5
Bass Extension: 9.5
Midrange Quality: 10
Treble Quality: 10
Soundstage: 8
Imaging: 8.5
Resolution: 10
Sense of realism: 10

Sennheiser HD 660S (with EQ):

Bass Quality: 8
Bass Extension: 8.5
Bass Impact: 8.5
Midrange Quality: 10
Treble Quality: 9.5
Dynamics: 7.5
Sense of realism: 9

With EQ, I can honestly say the Utopia 2022 is truly outstanding. Keep in mind the amount of EQ I used was really not that much, I only addressed the few areas mentioned before, like adding a bass shelf and reducing 1.3kHz and 5.5kHz. Those are the only three main adjustments I needed to improve the tonal balance of this headphone. This is what I would expect of a headphone that costs $5k, however nearly every headphone I have tried benefits from EQ, and the Utopia is no exception no matter how expensive it is.

I also swapped the Utopia pads on the Clear MG just because I was curious how the sound would change. The Utopia pads on the Clear MG made the sound overall brighter, and really helped with the upper midrange recession. It brings the tonality closer to the Utopia, but the upper treble air region is actually brighter than the Utopia to my ears. I think this has to do with the larger peaks around 10 kHz and above that are bringing out more presence in this region. I personally think the entire treble region sounds better on the Utopia than the Clear MG with both stock pads and Utopia pads. The treble just sounds more lifelike, there are no dips and peaks making for a smoother yet more detailed treble. The Clear MG with Utopia pads still has some noticeable unevenness in the treble, it sounds less full and actually more V-shaped rather than the neutral character of the Utopia. I’ve also tried various other pads on the Clear MG: the Elex pads, Dekoni velour, and thicker generic perforated leather style pads (Chinese made). The stock pads sound best on the Clear MG in my opinion, while the Utopia pads make the Clear MG more balanced and slightly more detailed. With the right EQ, the Clear MG with the Utopia pads comes very close in performance to the Utopia. However as to be expected, the Utopia driver is more resolving and detailed. Not only that, but the Utopia just sounds smoother and more natural, more true to life. So the Clear MG with Utopia pads can give you a taste of what to expect from the actual Utopia, but it still does not have that Utopia “magic”. I did not try the Clear MG pads on the Utopia.

Lastly, I want to talk about the soundstage and imaging. Every review I have seen out there says the Utopia is an intimate headphone with a small soundstage. I think they are all comparing the Utopia to large planars or the HD800, because I do not hear the Utopia 2022 as having a small soundstage. It is bigger to my ears than the Clear MG and HD650, but not as big as the HE-500, which being a planar makes sense. I think the pads also have a lot to do with the more open imaging and soundstage compared to the Clear MG. In direct comparison, the Clear MG’s stage sounds like a small bubble right in front of you and surrounding all the way off to the sides of your head. The middle is less distinct and harder to pinpoint. With the Utopia, I do not hear any blind spots with the imaging, and the front-center is easier to hear. Also, the sound just feels like it has more room to breathe than the Clear MG. I think the Utopia pads really help here as they do not absorb as much sound as the microfiber Clear MG pads. The Utopia pads on the Clear MG (as I tested before) helps with this sense of openness, but also messes up the treble timbre by adding unwanted peaks. And even with the Utopia pads, the Clear MG does not sound as open as the Utopia.

Final thoughts:

After a week of testing with my home setup, these are my final conclusions of the Utopia. The Utopia 2022 is the most realistic, resolving, and detailed headphone I have heard, period. It is also the most neutral sounding Focal headphone I have heard, beating out the Elex, Clear OG, and Clear MG in regards to timbre. The Clear MG comes in second place with EQ and possibly a Utopia pad swap, but there is still that special something about the Utopia sound you cannot emulate with any other Focal headphone, at least the ones I have tried. The sense of realism, dynamics, and detail are the just the best I have heard. I suppose there is a reason why this headphone is the flagship of the Focal brand. Overall, I am very impressed by the Utopia 2022. It ticks nearly all the boxes for me, and with EQ, it is even better. I would love to have this in my collection one day.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks to Todd for the loaner!

Basic system details with no EQ:
HQ Player -> Roon -> iFi iUSB Decrapifier -> Schiit Yggdrasil OG (A2 with Unison) -> Eddie Current Studio B with Elrog 300B tubes

My main headphones at the moment are pre-2020 Utopias so this is a direct comparison. When I first put them on my head there are two things that stand out which makes Nutopias different enough than the originals which I wasn't expecting. The first is Nutopias have a more diffuse and expansive soundstage. With Nutopias I no longer have the sensation the soundstage is too small although the well known intimate soundstage is mitigated by tube amps in general. The second is they have a more even tonality across the board. Overall it's better balanced from top to bottom. What comes to mind is Dan Clark Ether 2 where the tonality is really even although those phones are way too dark for me.

I had to look for it but coming in third was bass which I would sum up as being fuller on Nutopias. I didn't notice it immediately as much as the two characteristics mentioned above since I don't think the bass quality is much different imo. I don't think it's more textured or "better" but it's fuller on Nutopias. This also leads into a comparison into detail which I would include here because I want to say I didn't notice it's much better or worse than the originals. I would have needed to do a more long term comparison but overall, if there are differences in bass quality and detail, I think it's slight enough in between these two versions where it wouldn't be a major factor. You can still tell both headphones are from the same family.

If you ever thought there was glare it's mostly gone now although this would be more accentuated on solid state amp and dac pairings. It goes without saying in this price range system matching and synergy are extremely important. Original still has a zing to the treble which some may prefer or could possibly interpret as Nutopias having slightly less detail since the treble is more muted.

I do agree with others on the forum, in terms of tiers, this is right below Susvara, Abyss TC and upper end Stax. If you're going to select out certain characteristics you could say those are better than Nutopias in specific areas. Nutopia and original are still a great choice if you're looking for more of an all rounder. It has a combination of almost top tier slam, resolution and imaging and works well with all types of music. It also sounds great through all types of amps and scales well whereas with other TOTL phones they do need top tier pairings and they still have shortcomings as well depending on system matching and preferences. Both Nutopia and original still sounded great out of whatever amps I have lying around which at the moment are a Jotenheim 2 and a Nitsch Piety.

Random thoughts:
Included cables are decent and usable which is more than I can say for many other headphones. I did swap them out for all-copper and all-silver cables I had on hand. They're similar enough in appearance where I didn't prefer old or new. Build quality is better on Nutopias. All things considered along with price, I would buy these if my old set died and I do prefer Nutopias to my current version.

Apr 5, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 10
My main setup:
Roon > HQPlayer > Holo May KTE > Niimbus US 5 Pro and WA33 EE

Packaging:
Well for starters, the packing from Focal was superb. It comes in a luxurious leather box to remind you that Focal only uses the highest quality materials before you even get to the headphones. Everything inside is presented pleasantly and comes with a sturdy carry case, 1x 5ft 1/8” cable with 1/4” adapter, 1x 10ft 4-pin XLR cable, and some booklets in a luxurious case. The cables are fantastic and do not need upgrading.

Sound:
When I first put a track on, I instantly started grinning. These headphones have an energy to them that I have not experienced before. I immediately started looking for fast paced songs and couldn’t help but move along to the beats. These headphones are unmatched for detail retrieval in my experience of headphones. With that said, poorly produced tracks do not go well with these headphones. The bass was rich and punchy, the highs weren’t fatiguing, and it’s just a generally fast paced sound.

The soundstage isn’t huge but it’s accurate and precise. The soundstage isn’t overly wide or too narrow. Just correct. What I was most astonished by was the sheer precision on where everything was. I could all of a sudden hear instruments in songs that I have never heard before and I could hear them in the far corner of the room while simultaneously being able to tell when the singer moves subtly away or into the mic! Truly outstanding in that regard.

Comfort:
While the headphones themselves are built with great quality, they just didn’t fit my head very well. The headphones themselves are flat and the earcups don’t really rotate much. So this left the back of the ear pads to barely get a seal and the front to have a bit too much pressure to my liking. Thankfully, the ear pads kind of form better after 5-10 minutes of wearing them. I’m not sure if they need to warm up or what.

Summary:
I absolutely loved the precise, energetic sound coming from these cans. Focal only used the most premium materials both inside and out. Unfortunately, their non-rotating ear cups were a deal breaker for me as they made the experience uncomfortable.

Thank you, Todd, for the opportunity to try these cans out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back