Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 19, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #4,399 of 4,488
Do any of you find the Stellia’s cups small and clamp force a bit much?
I find the clamping a little bit tighter than the Utopias, but not uncomfortably so. That said, my Utopias are a few years old.

I found the CP Yang sheepskin pads to be a little softer than the stock ones. Not only are they more comfortable, they sound a little better to my ears (seem to give the mid/upper bass more control).

Credit to The Headphoneer for the CP Yang idea from this great review:
https://www.headphoneer.com/focal-stellia-vs-fostex-th900mk1-th900mk2/

FWIW, I like his ears and 100% agree with his assessment of the different setups.

cheers,
muski

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #4,400 of 4,488
I find the clamping a little bit tighter than the Utopias, but not uncomfortably so. That said, my Utopias are a few years old.

I found the CP Yang sheepskin pads to be a little softer than the stock ones. Not only are they more comfortable, they sound a little better to my ears (seem to give the mid/upper bass more control).

Credit to The Headphoneer for the CP Yang idea from this great review:
https://www.headphoneer.com/focal-stellia-vs-fostex-th900mk1-th900mk2/

FWIW, I like his ears and 100% agree with his assessment of the different setups.

cheers,
muski
Ah cool - these are the same pads I'd use for the Radiance, which I found improved soundstage. Only downside is they're a bit bulky / less sleek looking than the stock pads. Will dig them out and have a go on the Stellia.

Dec 23, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #4,402 of 4,488
Sound always comes down to personal preference that said my Stellia sounds great on my liquid platinum and my ifi pro stack using tube and tube + on both units.
i think for a relatively cheap amp the liquid platinum is a fantastic choice for the stellia. depending on tube choice. also sounds great on solid state
20231223_140553.jpg

Dec 23, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #4,403 of 4,488
Foam in the pads do wear in with time.

I've noticed my Utopia OG pads and earphone more comfortable than the Utopia 2022 for instance.

There's only so much one can do to compensate for the soundstage inherent in a closed headphone

Jan 9, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #4,405 of 4,488
Stellia sounds great mobile on a DX312 or ifi gryphon as well but I usually only travel with the Radiance and some IEM's.
I would also throw the Woo Audio Tube Mini into the mix with the Stellia's for on-the-go mobile listening. The pairing is superb! Those little tubes are magic.

Jan 9, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #4,406 of 4,488
How do you not get insane hiss with that pairing? All my headphones* - with the exception of Susvara - has audible (and objectionable) hiss with the Tube Mini. It's a damn shame because it sounds so great otherwise! I could use it as a portable DAC with a separate amp (and it would give a sound that's quite comparable to a desktop DAC), but that defeats the portability...

(*) Tried Atrium Closed (barely acceptable on 3.5mm), the Bokeh (unacceptable on 3.5mm), the HE1000SE (same as AC) and DCA E3 (unacceptable on 4.4mm - don't have a 3.5mm cable to try, but then I fear the mini wouldn't have enough power).

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #4,407 of 4,488
How do you not get insane hiss with that pairing? All my headphones* - with the exception of Susvara - has audible (and objectionable) hiss with the Tube Mini. It's a damn shame because it sounds so great otherwise! I could use it as a portable DAC with a separate amp (and it would give a sound that's quite comparable to a desktop DAC), but that defeats the portability...

(*) Tried Atrium Closed (barely acceptable on 3.5mm), the Bokeh (unacceptable on 3.5mm), the HE1000SE (same as AC) and DCA E3 (unacceptable on 4.4mm - don't have a 3.5mm cable to try, but then I fear the mini wouldn't have enough power).
Have you tried elevating the tube mini or having it stand upright? It's significantly more quiet I found out when playing around with it. It is very noisy when laid flat on a desktop and I'm not sure why.

Jan 9, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #4,408 of 4,488
Have you tried elevating the tube mini or having it stand upright? It's significantly more quiet I found out when playing around with it. It is very noisy when laid flat on a desktop and I'm not sure why.
I have not tried that. I have mine resting on foam, but flat. I'll give it a try, as ridiculous as it sounds :D

Edit: yeah, no, it doesn't change anything. When I asked Woo about this I was told this is a "feature": just like some people like the sound of scratches on vinyl, some people like the hiss. I find that a ridiculous answer, TBH.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #4,409 of 4,488
I have not tried that. I have mine resting on foam, but flat. I'll give it a try, as ridiculous as it sounds :D

Edit: yeah, no, it doesn't change anything. When I asked Woo about this I was told this is a "feature": just like some people like the sound of scratches on vinyl, some people like the hiss. I find that a ridiculous answer, TBH.
Hiss should not be a built-in feature, lol. I wonder if your tubes are a little lose. Mine is not hissing like that. My Stellia’s and every headphone I’ve tried out of the Tube Mini sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Mr X
Back