Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 17, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #4,321 of 4,488
looking for a good open back companion to the stellia, any suggestions from the group. Dont want Utopias, to similar in sound. thinking of going Meze emperian
I think Empyrean will just be too weak if you have Stellia. Technically Empyrean can't match a Clear let alone Stellia...I'd look at the ZMF cans if I were you. Or a Meze Elite

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #4,322 of 4,488
LCD-5

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #4,324 of 4,488
looking for a good open back companion to the stellia, any suggestions from the group. Dont want Utopias, to similar in sound. thinking of going Meze emperian

I have the Stellia for closed duties and Meze Elite for open back. Perfect combo for me.

I don’t agree with the Empyrean (which I had prior to Elite) being too weak as someone else mentioned? Far from it and I had both side by side for months.

In fact as much as I love the Stellia I only use them if I have to, otherwise it’s Elite all the time.

Aug 17, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #4,325 of 4,488
Elite yes,stock Empyrean no,it's too far behind in technicalities especially the detail retrieval is comparable to a $500 can,despite the pleasing warm tonality.I was bored with it the second day and it's weaknesses vs Stellia in speed,texture and even bass quality despite the punch were all too apparrent.

I too had them both side by side which is the only way to make valid comparisons but for a week,didn't need months to notice the subpar technical level especially for a can costing $3000.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 22, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #4,326 of 4,488
Are these up for update soon? Saw them on sale for $1500US new which is an absolute bargain. I don't need another pair of headphones. But then again ... I don't have a pair of closed headphones.

Not sure they'll get much use but it surely is tempting.

Agreed re: Empyrean. I also sold it as it was technically inferior to my other headphones. The tonality and tuning is luscious. But there was something missing. And no matter how I rotated the pads I wished there was something in between.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #4,327 of 4,488
So glad I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Stellia. I tried it 2 years ago but couldn't swallow the price. That is until Addicted to Audio in Australia did a fire sale on them this week. Got them for $1155 USD including taxes and delivered ($1799 AUD) - basically over 60% off. The Utopia 2022 is also on sale for $2243 USD ($3499 AUD) but Stellia is more toward my music preference.

Finally I have a good pair of TOTL headphones and ending my search for a closed back.

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/focal-stellia-reference-high-end-closed-dynamic-headphones

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #4,328 of 4,488
I was wondering how long it would be before the Stellia sold out at that price.

It’s a very, very good headphone if a closed headphone is on the radar. Whilst I have IEM’s for isolation / no sound leak purposes … that Stellia was so tempting. Well done on the purchase. And it’s so easy to drive!

Aug 22, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #4,329 of 4,488
For anyone wanting leather protection (they get stained very quickly) - I just used a leather protection cream from Leather Master (could also try Furniture Clinic too). It worked, and didn't stain! Stellia's leather needs special treatment, most products can stain it. I haven't tried Colourlock but I heard it works too.

20230822_195732.jpg

20230822_221137.jpg

They look brand new, and the leather is healthier now. Hopefully it protects from skin oil stains over time!

Aug 22, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #4,330 of 4,488
I was wondering how long it would be before the Stellia sold out at that price.
Yeah I noticed it is already sold out now. I also have IEMs for when I need something low key but headphones are still more comfortable.

For anyone wanting leather protection (they get stained very quickly) - I just used a leather protection cream from Leather Master (could also try Furniture Clinic too).
Do you apply only on the top headband? I figured it is not wise to apply on the cups since residue may get stuck in between the stainless steel.
Is this the same as yours?
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07D8HNHHN?th=1

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #4,331 of 4,488
Yeah I noticed it is already sold out now. I also have IEMs for when I need something low key but headphones are still more comfortable.

Do you apply only on the top headband? I figured it is not wise to apply on the cups since residue may get stuck in between the stainless steel.
Is this the same as yours?
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07D8HNHHN?th=1
I did the full headband and earpads, but left the dots on the cups. Maybe I'll do those too haha. There wasn't any residue which is good!

That link looks like the same product too, just different label

Aug 23, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #4,332 of 4,488
So glad I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Stellia. I tried it 2 years ago but couldn't swallow the price. That is until Addicted to Audio in Australia did a fire sale on them this week. Got them for $1155 USD including taxes and delivered ($1799 AUD) - basically over 60% off. The Utopia 2022 is also on sale for $2243 USD ($3499 AUD) but Stellia is more toward my music preference.

Finally I have a good pair of TOTL headphones and ending my search for a closed back.

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/focal-stellia-reference-high-end-closed-dynamic-headphones
wow - focal prices just keep getting lower and lower at A2A.
I paid AU$3k for mine a couple of years back.
Am really tempted to grab some Radiance for office use at AU$700 as my Stellia never leave the house.

Aug 23, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #4,333 of 4,488
wow - focal prices just keep getting lower and lower at A2A.
I paid AU$3k for mine a couple of years back.
Am really tempted to grab some Radiance for office use at AU$700 as my Stellia never leave the house.
True, Focal/A2A has been very aggressive with pricing to clear in the past. I bought my first Focal Clear during an Easter sale few years ago. But this time, it is a rare exception. They appear to be clearing out the brand for good so I thought it is rare opportunity to own a high-end pair of headphones. I heard of rumours in the industry but I believe it is not relevant for this discussion.

You should look at the Bathys for work. Reviews indicate it is a Radiance in a portable headset. However if you prefer to use your own audio chain, then Radiance makes a lot of sense. The price is just too good.

Aug 23, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #4,334 of 4,488
I purchased the Stellia in that A2A sale. ETA 30/09. Looking forward to comparing it to my other headphones (HD800, LCD3, Clear, Radiance). I have the Arche and Mojo but don't use the Mojo much anymore after getting the Arche.

I heard the balanced XLR cable that comes with the Stellia isn't truly balanced. Is this true?

Aug 23, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #4,335 of 4,488
I purchased the Stellia in that A2A sale. ETA 30/09. Looking forward to comparing it to my other headphones (HD800, LCD3, Clear, Radiance). I have the Arche and Mojo but don't use the Mojo much anymore after getting the Arche.

I heard the balanced XLR cable that comes with the Stellia isn't truly balanced. Is this true?
I think it's a misunderstanding. It started from one review, and kinda spread from there. Maybe because the cable ends are TS, instead of TRS. But balanced TS is still possible.

If it wasn't balanced, it would kill most balanced amps by shorting them out. (Shorting the amp signal to ground, which is zero load, making high current + overheating the amp). Focal would get sued for that.
Stellia sounds much better in balanced, even with the stock cable. So it's definitely a false rumor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back