Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 2, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #3,811 of 4,499
It seems reasonable that wireless signal transmitters in the vicinity of tubes could cause interference in the tube performance.
However, I've used an iMac (and now M1) for years on the same desktop as many different tube amps and never experienced an influence that I could possibly attribute to wireless signals. On occasion, I've even laid a cell phone atop a tube amp to test for interference. The cell phone had three forms of wireless in use, the cellular signal, WiFi signal, and BT signal. I was unable to detect any influence of the wireless signals in the audio. For comparison, I have a separate and dedicated audio room for loudspeakers where I have no wireless devices and my desktop tube amps sound identical in that room as they do on my desktop.
Maybe someone will share an experience they've had with wireless signals influencing their tube amps, hopefully an experience that many of us could reproduce in our own setups as well. It would be a practical exercise in learning to identify the symptoms of wireless influence.
Something I am certain of, if wireless signals are indeed affecting my tube amps... it's nowhere near the observable influence of tube-rolling.
My newest tube amp, the MHA200, has an outstanding dead-quiet background and sits just 2 ft away from my M1 as a source for Tidal.
I believe your comments are spot on.
I envy your desk space as my MacBook M1 Pro is just fractions of an inch from the front left corner of my McIntosh C8 Tube pre amplifier. I had to buy the 14" laptop instead of 16" as there is too little space. To the immediate left of the MacBook sits my McIntosh MHA200. Often the laptop is switched out for a 12.9" iPad Pro... Today, in response to some Mojo 2 posts, my cell phone was there as I tried to induce RF interference into the Mojo. The phone is usually in a stand atop the C8. The tube amps were on and unaffected. My Wi Fi base is a couple of feet away from those amps as well. RF can be an issue but in practice rarely is.

Stellia are a treat when fed from tubes... I use MHA200, WA6, and WA22. Lovely on solid state as well but you all know that.

Feb 2, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #3,812 of 4,499
Cell phones generally emit significantly more noise than any wifi signal. Most laptops also tend to receive data more than transmit data. I imagine this is why I never have heard interference from WiFi signals, including listening via my Bluesound node connected via wifi, but in the old days with GSM, I could hear noise from my phone. I haven't had similar issues with my phone post the roll out of LTE or 5G.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #3,814 of 4,499
20220207_200827-01.jpeg

the Stellia + wa33 using KR 2a3 and WE417a tubes gives the most insane punchy ear drum pounding bass. extra points for the isolation and not having to listen to the cartoon my kids are watching.

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #3,815 of 4,499
I‘ll be joining the club next week. I’m looking forward to seeing how they sound in my setup.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #3,816 of 4,499
My latest

Very nice review thanks - Interestingly, I also auditioned a new amp + my Stellias listening to Unplugged Alice in Chains:beyersmile:
Really, really nice sound.
(And that was also the day, I added the Arya's to my collection)

Feb 10, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #3,817 of 4,499
I've had my Stellia's for just over six months now and really enjoy the sound and comfort. I bought an Arche to go with them but have been using a Mojo 1 which I actually prefer. So I have ordered a Mojo 2 that I hope will turn up tomorrow I have a Moon Audio Black Dragon lead with 3.5mm jack which again I find really good. My source is Amazon HD stored on a newish iPad.
Glad I splashed out for the Stellia's

Feb 10, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #3,818 of 4,499
I've had my Stellia's for just over six months now and really enjoy the sound and comfort. I bought an Arche to go with them but have been using a Mojo 1 which I actually prefer. So I have ordered a Mojo 2 that I hope will turn up tomorrow I have a Moon Audio Black Dragon lead with 3.5mm jack which again I find really good. My source is Amazon HD stored on a newish iPad.
Glad I splashed out for the Stellia's
Let us know how you get on with the Mojo2. I'm also using my Stellia with a Mojo.

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #3,819 of 4,499
Let us know how you get on with the Mojo2. I'm also using my Stellia with a Mojo.
First impressions are that there appears to be a bigger soundstage, my favourite tracks at the moment are Buddy Guy Feels like rain, and Joe Bonamassa Drive and having listened to both there is no doubt there seems to be more going on. Too early to tell at the moment but I'm pleased to say there is a difference/improvement. I purchased some Moon Audio Black Dragon cables with the plug to fit the output socket on the Mojo and apart from the price they have proved to be to my liking. Haven't had a chance to try the EQ settings as I was keen to get a straight out of the box comparison. I probably won't use the Arche much now.

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #3,820 of 4,499
I have just purchased a used Stellia, upgrading from a Elear. I'm interested in new pads and wanted to buy the Dekoni Audio Limited Edition Stellia pads but they are out of stock. I contacted Dekoni and they stated "The Stellia is no longer being made as it was only available for a limited time and we have sold out." I actually suggested that manufacture additional pads, they thanked me for the suggestion but made no indication that they would produce any more. I have read most of the threads here and listened to convincemeaudio review of dekoni pads but it is not clear to me which of the Dekoni pads that you can currently buy is most like the limited edition Stellia pad. I'm interested in comfort and a clear, rich sound, not more base. Thanks for your thoughts.

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #3,821 of 4,499
You can buy a pair of genuine pads but unfortunately they are more expensive than the Dekoni pads were. From what I remember, most people seemed to think the original pads sounded better than the Dekoni.

Feb 13, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #3,822 of 4,499
The Focal Stellia pads are $249. In reading the descriptions the Dekoni Hybrid pad seems to be the closest to the Stellia Limited , it has a "Sheepskin outer ring improves isolation and the velour face gives a soft, velvety touch.". That's probably what I'll go with, I think $249 for pads is a bit steep. Thanks for your thoughts.

Feb 13, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #3,824 of 4,499
The Focal Stellia pads are $249. In reading the descriptions the Dekoni Hybrid pad seems to be the closest to the Stellia Limited , it has a "Sheepskin outer ring improves isolation and the velour face gives a soft, velvety touch.". That's probably what I'll go with, I think $249 for pads is a bit steep. Thanks for your thoughts.
There is also a UK retailer that still had Dekoni Stellia Limited Edition pads in stock- they ship to the US if that is of interest.

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/dekoni-audio-limited-edition-focal-stellia-replacement-earpads.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back