Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 10, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #3,571 of 4,490
Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

I have since figured out that the plastic “clank” came from the heat shrink being less than tight on my Arctic Cable and not the slightly wiggly 3.5mm connection. I fixed the cable hitting the inside of the heat shrink by wedging a match stick in there
You must feel really relieved to have found the issue! You should contact AC…they have great customer support and will make this right for you.

Aug 12, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #3,572 of 4,490
This discolouration is annoying. Suggestions welcome!

704F22F8-80CA-41C5-9109-6FB762CF3B92.jpeg

Aug 15, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #3,577 of 4,490
I made the dire mistake of trying these the other day….My god, this is the best headphone I’ve ever tried by quite some margin.

Been searching for well over a year for a closed back I like more than the P9, this is it. Not only that, I think I like them considerably more than my Clears. Now to get saving…

Edit: Uh-oh, found an open box pair for 2.2k. Time to become homeless.

Edit 2: The same dealer has offered me a brand new pair for £2280, hard to refuse when they're usually £2890. Wowzer.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #3,578 of 4,490
I made the dire mistake of trying these the other day….My god, this is the best headphone I’ve ever tried by quite some margin.

Been searching for well over a year for a closed back I like more than the P9, this is it. Not only that, I think I like them considerably more than my Clears. Now to get saving…

Edit: Uh-oh, found an open box pair for 2.2k. Time to become homeless.

Edit 2: The same dealer has offered me a brand new pair for £2280, hard to refuse when they're usually £2890. Wowzer.
Congratulations on end game status! Now you can sit back, relax, and enjoy the music! 😁

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #3,579 of 4,490
no such thing as end game status

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #3,580 of 4,490
no such thing as end game status
For some it is more about the journey than the arrival and the enjoyment/peace that follows.

For me the search was for the latter, though the journey was fun while it lasted. Thus end game is achieved for me.

May you find joy in your chosen path.

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #3,581 of 4,490
This discolouration is annoying. Suggestions welcome!

704F22F8-80CA-41C5-9109-6FB762CF3B92.jpeg
Better think, before you buy this fancy stuff!
It was so clear that the Clear & co won`t stay clear. They should have called them Nuclear.

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #3,583 of 4,490
The real question is, is this driver limited by the mechanical clipping "protection" that the other focal headphones are. If it is, is it consistent between models, and does it get worse over time? I really enjoyed my Utopia, but it became pretty much unusable near the end due to this "feature."

Hello, I'm new to Focal headphones

What is the clipping protection feature and how does it work?

Is it on the Elegia?

Do you mean your Utopia's sound quality degraded over time until it became unlistenable? How many months did it take?

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #3,584 of 4,490
Hello, I'm new to Focal headphones

What is the clipping protection feature and how does it work?

Is it on the Elegia?

Do you mean your Utopia's sound quality degraded over time until it became unlistenable? How many months did it take?

Well, as Focal said, the driver will reach a point in its excursion, typically with heavy bass content, that it clips instead of continuing excursion therefore protecting the driver. The Elegia supposedly has this "feature" as well.

I'm a conspiracy theorist on this one though, and I don't think its a "feature" at all, but poor design.

My Utopia originally only clipped if I used a large bass boost, with heavy bass content, at high volumes.

Over time, it got the point where it would clip with heavy bass material, at medium volume, with no bass boost via EQ, at all.

It took 1.5 months, but Focal replaced the headphones, as this was before they announced the clipping "feature."

My guess? The clipping is a design flaw that would require them to recall every headphone they had produced, which would destroy them financially.

Maybe it is a design feature, and it is implemented much better now, I don't know. I'm not buying another Focal to check, as $4400USD is a lot of money for a 2020 Utopia.

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #3,585 of 4,490
It took 1.5 months, but Focal replaced the headphones, as this was before they announced the clipping "feature."

My guess? The clipping is a design flaw that would require them to recall every headphone they had produced, which would destroy them financially.
On a similar note, I had a bass clipping issue with my Focal Elears. Focal replaced the drivers under warranty (the service through my local dealer was great), and no issues have arisen since.

The Radiance I previously owned and the Stellia I currently own have exhibited NO issues with clipping on bass-heavy content.

That said, everything I’ve read from Focal owners seems to indicate that either 1) initial driver design of the Elear/Elex/Clear was more bass-sensitive/extreme excursion-sensitive over time, but it has been fixed since and most issues have been handled under warranty OR 2) this is an ongoing issue affecting parts of their product line.

While this is the first time I’ve seen someone note clipping issues with Utopia, I am a recent Stellia owner and have not been frequenting Stellia/Utopia forum threads until now.

Overall, though, I’d be cautious about using bass-heavy (especially if boosted further via EQ or similar) at high volumes with Elegia/Elear/Elex/Clear/Radiance (all Mg-Al drivers)- and perhaps Stellia/Utopia (Be drivers) as well.

Mind you, we are talking A LOT of bass at HIGH volumes, so I see these as edge cases personally and am not really concerned.

Last but not least I am in no way associated with Focal and the above is anecdotal knowledge… feel free to disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back