Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 22, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #3,541 of 4,488
What stands out about Arctic vs Hart audio sir? Also, which of their cables would you recommend for the Stellia? Arctic definitely seems to be quite pricy. I don't mind paying extra for a well made cable, but I'm seeing some of their cables at over $2000
I don’t have experience with Hart cables so I can’t comment on that. But with the Arctic cables pure OCC silver cables I really heard an improvement in sound quality with my Stellia. It is too pricey for you, I guess, so I don’t know if the 200$ cables would improve the sound of your Stellia much (except if you only need a pliable good looking cable instead of the stock cable).
So again, I would choose the OCC silver, but it costs a lot, I know. Sorry I can’t give you other advices.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #3,543 of 4,488
@Daniel Johnston. The Corpse Cables do have my interest. Do you feel that their build quality is significant enough to justify their price over the Hart Cables? It'll cost me anywhere from 60- a little over $70 for the Hart Cables. Corpse will be in the $200 range. What's the difference with Cardas Copper vs Mogami Copper?

Jul 22, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #3,544 of 4,488
Jul 22, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #3,545 of 4,488
@Daniel Johnston. The Corpse Cables do have my interest. Do you feel that their build quality is significant enough to justify their price over the Hart Cables? It'll cost me anywhere from 60- a little over $70 for the Hart Cables. Corpse will be in the $200 range. What's the difference with Cardas Copper vs Mogami Copper?

To clarify, I don't hear any difference between the Nordost, Corpse, Norne, or Hart cables. All are high quality cables. I'm not a fan of pure silver cables either, I've never found them worth the premium whether it be the Stellia or other cans I own. This gives you my bias.

Cardas is a well regarded audiophile brand and have a special process to produce "the best" OFC copper cables. Mogami is well regarded in the pro audio field for being durable and using OFC copper as well. I'm sure someone will say one sounds better than the other.

The build quality of Corpse is significantly better than Hart. He uses PVC/neoprene coverings rather than paracord. If you are exercising or moving around quite a bit, you'll find the Corpse quieter. The Corpse has a better look and feel as well. The connectors are visually better terminated. Corpse also offers a limited lifetime warranty on the Gravedigger series. The Hart cables have good strain relief and aren't flimsy, but there is a gap around where the connector and wire terminate. Is the Corpse worth 2-3x the cost? From a sonic perspective and modularity perspective, no. If you are OCD, then you'll want to go with Corpse.

Jul 26, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #3,547 of 4,488
1) Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC
2) Arctic Cables Signum+

Both are great cables, but i find i can listen to the Forza for longer periods of time, its not quite as bright and really suits my set up.

The Arctic really shines, but its just a bit too much for me over longer periods of time. Its better suited to my other heaphones.

Hey Jon

are you still preferring the Forza with the Stellia?
i'm looking to get another cable for dedicated use with the Stellia and the Forza comes in at a nice price.

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #3,548 of 4,488
I have a few questions, any advice is appreciated.

1) What's the bass like in the Stellia compared to the AH-D9200?

2) Is Stellia an actual upgrade from the D9200?

3) Would it be sufficient in terms of performance to pair the Stellia with just an A&K DAP (SE180) balanced?

Jul 30, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #3,549 of 4,488

3) Would it be sufficient in terms of performance to pair the Stellia with just an A&K DAP (SE180) balanced?
Stella is much better all around headphone than d9200. I had d9200 but it wasn’t enough for me. Bought Stella and never had a second doubt since. Stella bass is fuller and richer IMO. I do love the wood cups and feel of d9200. It’s a great value headphone but Stellia was much more versatile for me.

Jul 31, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #3,550 of 4,488
m

my A&k 70 mk2 works great with the stellias, but works much better with my bryston desktop amp. the AK 70 mk2 is a big step down from the AK se180 though so that dap might be all you need

Jul 31, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #3,551 of 4,488

The Stellia sounded great with the A&K SE200 via the 2.5mm balanced, I'm sure it'll sound pretty great from the SE180 as well.

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #3,552 of 4,488
I purchased my Stellias about a month ago and read this entire thread recently. I've been using the Focal Elears and Elegia for quite a while and hadn't kept up much with some of the newer products available. The Stellias are a game changer. I can't wait to get time in the evenings to listen to them after work. I think I use my headphones the opposite of most people. I actually use Clear OGs at work, as I listen at pretty low volumes and I like to be able to hear someone when they come into my office. I still generally remove my headphones for conversations, but sometimes someone is just telling me they are off to lunch, so it's nice not have to remove them for 2 second conversation.

The Stellias get time on my home system when I can have more focused listening time. I already had a great DAC in the Gumby MB, but with the ability to hear so much more detail, I've also added an RME ADI-2 DAC fs and Chord Qutest. My primary amp is a Violectric V281. As I went through the thread I noticed a number of other people use the same amp, it has a fantastic synergy with the Stellia. I also picked up a Monolith THX AAA 887 Balanced to see what all the fuss is about, and while it's a very "clear" sounding amp it doesn't hold a candle to the V281. The Stellia are very revealing of your upstream equipment.

A few takeaways from reading the entire thread (hopefully I cover the highlights pretty well if you want to save yourself 236 pages of reading):

1) Focal headphones need break-in / burn-in time. I also recently purchased the Clear and Radiance as well and they all definitely need some time to sound their best. It's quite noticeable out of the box. I believe it's mentioned in the manual as well. This goes away pretty quickly with some burn in / listening time.

2) Seal is very important. I wear glasses and notice just by the sound signature if I have forgotten to pull the arms of my glasses up. I place them on top of the cups as some others have mentioned doing in the thread. It's not ideal, so I've ordered some new glasses that I think will work better and hopefully not interfere with the seal. If they work as I expect them to I'll report back to the thread with the specifics. I think we will see varying opions on this topic because of various headshape and glasses and how much they break the seal.

3) I'm a new owner and opinions seem divided on treating the leather or not. I elected to treat mine. I used the Collonil 1909 Supreme Leather Cream (multi-color) mentioned earlier in the thread. Color change was minimal to none. It did seem to "fill in" a bit some areas where the leather seemed to have been a little rougher. I guess I'll know in a year or so how they hold up. I plan to continue to treat them regularly. I had a Corbin leather seat on my Harley, and those left untreated will absolutely dry out and crack over time if not properly cleaned and treated. I also regularly clean and protect my other leather goods, so put me in the camp who thinks properly caring for leather is the way to go. I seriously doubt I will ever sell these headphones though, so resale isn't a big concern for me. If I were buying used I would look for ones that had been treated reguarly with something other than sweat, but I totally respect anyone's opinion to go with "natural" seasoning if they choose to do so.

4) Cables - my factory cables are still in the box. I am currently using a Meze with 4.4 mm termination going to an adapter to XLR balanced. I have an Arctic Signum cable on order with a balanced XLR termination that will be my primary cable. I can't wait to hear it. My Elears sounded awful with the factory cable. I changed it almost immediately to the basic Arctic Cable they used to sell on Ebay, and noticed a huge improvement, so I can't wait to see what the Signum does for the Stellias.

5) The Stellias are very revealing of your upstream equipment. When I read the thread and saw complaints about the sound, the following questions immediately popped into my mind, #1 (burn-in) and #2 (seal) above, and wondering what equipment is being used, primarily the DAC, and Amp (and sometimes cables). If your DAC or Amp aren't up to par you are going to hear it with the Stellias. More forgiving headphones may not have highlighted equipment issues. It could also be a lack of synergy with the particular equipment. I would look at trying different source equipment before writing off the Stellias as the problem if you aren't loving them (most of us are!). It's easy for me to hear the differences between my 3 DACs and while the Stellias still sound great with my other amps, they are best with my Violectric V281. I have a Lyr 3 on the way so I'll look forward to hearing it soon. I have a Lyr 2 now and I didn't realize how bad it was until I got the Stellias. The Lyr 2 sounds pretty good with my HD800, but the Stellias really show the lack of detail retrieval as compared to my solid state amps. Down the road I may look at a higher end tube amp, but being really happy with the V281 I don't feel the need to spend a ton of money tube rolling. With the Lyr 3 tube rolling will consist of only changing a single tube, but I can't speak to the synergy yet since it's in the mail on it's way to me.

6) Opinions of the Dekoni Limited Edition pads on the Stellias are generally not favorable. I purchased them and agree with this assessment, I plan to try them on some of my other Focals though, and might find they work well with something else.

These headphones have me exploring all kinds of new music that I hadn't listed to before, some of which I've picked up from reading this or other threads.

My goto test track for years for any headphones is Steven Wilson's "Luminol" from The Raven That Refused to Sing. There is so much going on in this track and it transitions through a number of variations and instruments. I can get a read on any piece of audio equipment pretty quickly listening to just this track, with the exception of female vocals.

Some others I recommend:

Rebecca Pidgeon's "The Raven" (I guess I have a "Raven" theme going here)
Dave Brubek's - Time Out
Metrik - Ex Machina
Mezzanine - Massive Attack
Sierra Eagleson - "In The Air Tonight" cover as well as some other tracks
Diana Krall - Turn Up The Quiet
Infected Mushroom - I just started listening to this band, so I don't have specific album or track recommendations yet.
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (show's off the "speed" of the Stellias)
Dave Brubeck / The Dave Brubeck Quartet - "Unsquare Dance"
Nils Lofgren - Bass and Drum Intro
Yosi Horikawa - "Bubbles" on the album Wandering - Do yourself a favor and listen to these on the Stellias if you haven't.

I could go on forever because I really haven't found anything that doesn't sound great on the Stellias with the exception of poorly recorded albums, but some of the above were some nice "discoveries" that I've really enjoyed on these headphones.

Thanks to all the contributors on this thread, it's been really helpful as I start my journey with the Stellias!

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #3,553 of 4,488
Pretty much the only thing that's stopping me from blind buying the Stellia is the leather underneath the grills on both sides. It looks like chicken pox. It is, to me, a gloriously ugly looking pair of headphones. I don't mind the colour. Just looking at the design makes me feel sick.

I say all of this but I have a feeling I'll think they look beautiful once I hear how they sound.

Jul 31, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #3,554 of 4,488
Pretty much the only thing that's stopping me from blind buying the Stellia is the leather underneath the grills on both sides. It looks like chicken pox. It is, to me, a gloriously ugly looking pair of headphones. I don't mind the colour. Just looking at the design makes me feel sick.

I say all of this but I have a feeling I'll think they look beautiful once I hear how they sound.
I think this is the first time I have heard the Stellia described as gloriously ugly, but to each his own!

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #3,555 of 4,488
I think this is the first time I have heard the Stellia described as gloriously ugly, but to each his own!
It's not my cup of tea either. They're amazing sounding cans, but they look a little gaudy/tacky to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back