Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 15, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #3,511 of 4,488
Question: Has anyone experienced the 3.5mm connection into the ear cup being less than firm?

Why am I asking: All is good with my original cables. These cables have perfect fit and a rubber ridge to create an extra stable connection at the ear cups.

To reduce microphonics and get my desired length I ordered an Arctic Cable. They, of course, cannot use the Focal specific male 3.5mm connectors (they are glued in place). When inserting the Arctic Cable 3.5mm connectors, I notice that the left connection is firm and stable while the right connection wiggles slightly. No problem, until I listen to my headphones. That slight wiggle is audible. It turns into a “clank” as I move my head. So I’ve traded less cable “scraping” microphonics for a plastic “clang”
I’ve reached out to Bloom Audio for their thoughts on a warranty repair without hearing anything back so I thought I’d ask if anyone has experienced this problem.
I had (and have) some arctic cables and never had that problem with my Stellia. Which plugs do you have? I had Neutrik with my first Arctic cable (copper). Now I have Oyaide with my Palladium Arctic cable. Fits perfectly and no wiggle at all. I would contact the guys from Arctic cable. I am sure they will get you new plugs for the Stellia. Just reach out to them. As I know them, they will get that fixed without hassle!

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #3,512 of 4,488
Which plugs do you have? I had Neutrik with my first Arctic cable (copper). Now I have Oyaide with my Palladium Arctic cable. Fits perfectly and no wiggle at all. I would contact the guys from Arctic cable.
Thanks. I did work with Val over at Arctic Cable. Very nice responsive communication. My plugs are Oyaide. Val did suggest switching to Neutrik plugs. But they are still not a perfect fit like the OEM plugs so it all depends on the female 3.5mm receiver being firm. Since my left ear cup is firm I can easily compare and confirm that the issue is with the right ear cup

I did get connected with Bloom Audio via chat. They are helping me arrange a warranty repair via the Focal distributor for the US.

I’m just hoping the distributor doesn’t give me runaround because there’s no problem using the OEM cables. We’ll see.

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #3,513 of 4,488
Thanks. I did work with Val over at Arctic Cable. Very nice responsive communication. My plugs are Oyaide. Val did suggest switching to Neutrik plugs. But they are still not a perfect fit like the OEM plugs so it all depends on the female 3.5mm receiver being firm. Since my left ear cup is firm I can easily compare and confirm that the issue is with the right ear cup

I did get connected with Bloom Audio via chat. They are helping me arrange a warranty repair via the Focal distributor for the US.

I’m just hoping the distributor doesn’t give me runaround because there’s no problem using the OEM cables. We’ll see.
This is interesting to me because I've been having a similar problem with my Arctic cable on my Elegias - the right male plug on the Arctic cable will sometimes not make a completely firm connection in the female cup on the headphones. I originally thought it might have been the headphone side but I swapped two ends and the problem followed to the left cup of the headphone. It's also not a huge problem - it doesn't show up all the time and goes away with a quick wiggle/twist (two twists and a snap?).

I haven't worried about it because Arctic accidentally sent me a second cable (they told me to keep it - good service) - I'm just too lazy to try it out to see if it also exhibits the problem. FWIW my cable shows "REAN" on the 3.5mm end... I'll do some more experimentin' and report back if I figure anything out...

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #3,514 of 4,488
This is interesting to me because I've been having a similar problem with my Arctic cable on my Elegias - the right male plug on the Arctic cable will sometimes not make a completely firm connection in the female cup on the headphones. I originally thought it might have been the headphone side but I swapped two ends and the problem followed to the left cup of the headphone. It's also not a huge problem - it doesn't show up all the time and goes away with a quick wiggle/twist (two twists and a snap?).
Please do report anything you learn. I’ll try switching the male 3.5mm connectors and see what happens on my side.

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #3,515 of 4,488
I channeled my inner McGyver and between o-rings (4.5mm x 1mm) and scotch tape, I silenced the cable+ear cup. It’s ugly looking but it works and I don’t need to be without my beloved Stellias for several weeks.

While the female 3.5mm connection wiggles, I think the main problem is the cable hitting the heat shrink around the male 3.5mm connectors.
F0E1F1FB-7A02-4CE7-B7EC-368F06182EC7.jpeg

Jun 15, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #3,516 of 4,488
I got my cables off of etsy ordered on a sunday got by thursday Neutrik ends and viablue connector no microphonics and fit good.

Attachments

• 198364684_2938003506475042_5670938332703294982_n.jpg
    198364684_2938003506475042_5670938332703294982_n.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 0
Jun 16, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #3,517 of 4,488

Strange. I have the exact same plugs and no problem.

Jun 16, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #3,518 of 4,488
Strange. I have the exact same plugs and no problem.
I think the majority of the noise came from the cable hitting the inside of the heat shrink. Is the heat shrink on your cable tight around the cable? Is it also shorter over the cable maybe?

I’ll experiment with inserting something into the heat shrink instead of the tape to avoid the “rattling”.

If there was no heat shrink, that would be the best. I’ve asked Val at Arctic Cable what the purpose of it is and if it can be reduced/removed.

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #3,519 of 4,488
I enjoy walks of around 5 or so miles each day and would like some closed back headphones for the journey. How are the Stellia's for this sort of outdoors use?

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #3,520 of 4,488
Absolutely not lol

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #3,521 of 4,488
I enjoy walks of around 5 or so miles each day and would like some closed back headphones for the journey. How are the Stellia's for this sort of outdoors use?
They don't isolate sound the best, which I imagine is a good thing for walking. I imagine they will be rather warm though. My ears get pretty warm just sitting at my desk wearing them for a couple hours let alone walking with them.

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #3,523 of 4,488
Jul 1, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #3,524 of 4,488
Two people, same headphone, polar opposite opinions!

I guess the best thing I can do is to try and demo a pair :)
The main issue unique to the Stellia is the leather. It has large pieces of real leather, not "PU leather" or "vegan leather" or any other marketing label manufacturers use to get people believing their crude oil product is leather. That means it's not a great idea to wear it out in the rain. A bird bomb also would quickly stain it. Dropping it on pavement would be bad because the leather is so soft it's easily scratched.

As some mentioned it's warm, but any closed back headphone is going to heat your ears. So, it's also probably not the best idea to wear them in 90+ degree weather.

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #3,525 of 4,488
Expensive, conspicuous, and amazing-sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back