Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 21, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #2,986 of 4,488
Dec 21, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #2,987 of 4,488
What took so long?

I always knew they were very capable. I just couldn't get over the slight metallic tone in the upper frequencies, which sounded unpleasant and slightly distracting for me.

Now that I have tried a lot more HPs, I truly appreciate the incredible balance they possess across the spectrum, particularly considering its closed back roots, which I think is an incredible feat.

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #2,988 of 4,488
I always knew they were very capable. I just couldn't get over the slight metallic tone in the upper frequencies, which sounded unpleasant and slightly distracting for me.

Now that I have tried a lot more HPs, I truly appreciate the incredible balance they possess across the spectrum, particularly considering its closed back roots, which I think is an incredible feat.

That's great man. I agree, they do an incredible job for a closed back. Hard to find a headphone that does it all well ie amazing build, comfort, sound, and enjoyment. Love my Stellia!

Dec 21, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #2,989 of 4,488

Good to hear. Just out of interest, since you own the Verite Open, are you tempted by the VC at all?

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #2,990 of 4,488
Good to hear. Just out of interest, since you own the Verite Open, are you tempted by the VC at all?

As much as I love the Verite open, I have no desire in puchasing the VC.

Not because I'm afraid they won't sound good, but only because I don't like to purchase open/closed counterpart with the same driver.

If I have to get another closed back in that range, I'd rather try a different brand. ATH-AWKT or AH-D9200 perhaps?

Now, if I didn't own a pair of VO, the VC would definitely be on my short list.

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #2,991 of 4,488
I haven’t heard of the VC (which I think could be a blessing), in fact I was considering the VC when I was looking for a closed back, but after watching how some reviewers mentioning on the build quality of the VC (ear cups falling off etc) somehow puts the decision off.

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #2,992 of 4,488
Alright, here are my impressions of the new Dekoni Stellia pads:
They are well made. Nothing to complain here. On the head they are a tiny bit less soft than the stock pads. I guess this causes a tiny bit less sealing, that’s probably the cause for a tiny bit less bass. (Many „tiny“s here) :wink:
The strange thing was, that I thought I might miss some bass, but surprisingly I didn’t. I just don’t get why Dekoni state that there is a mid bass rise when there is none. In addition it wouldn’t make sense to design a pad that rises the midbass of a can that already has plenty of midbass. It would have made sense if they would have achieved a subbass rise. But they didn’t. Anyhow, it doesn’t matter because the bass isn’t the problem at all. The problem are the mids. There is something missing between 2kHz and 4kHz, as shows the measurement. Then there is a rise at 9 kHz. So if you happen to only listen to EDM and like that „plus“ on the hihat, you should check out these pads. For those seeking a more balanced tuning, stay with stock. The thing is: I listen to a variety of different musical genres and need that mids, especially for guitars, piano, well, generally for everything except EDM where there is not so much information in that frequency range.
yes, the new pads do make the vocals a bit clearer but also they make them sound thinner. If that’s what you want, go get those pads. I prefer a bit more weight. There are no piercing highs to be heard with the new pads, so that’s no problem at all, in case someone has fear of that. Despite that it seems to be a more V-shaped sound sig because of the mids suckout.

So Dekoni didn’t win, but they didn’t lose completely either. The pads are close enough to the stock pads to guarantee that there will be the one or the other liking the new pads a bit more than the stock (but I doubt there will be many). And if someone destroys the stock pads and doesn’t want to pay so much for new original stock pads now has a good alternative for less money but also (in my book) for a bit less listening pleasure.

If someone in the EU wants to buy them from me, go ahead and shoot me a PM, if not it’s ok too, they would stay in my shelve for the time being.

As said, I would have preferred a pad with more sub, less mid bass. Clean mids. Maybe a tiny rise the treble. But that’s just me.

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #2,993 of 4,488
Alright, here are my impressions of the new Dekoni Stellia pads:
They are well made. Nothing to complain here. On the head they are a tiny bit less soft than the stock pads. I guess this causes a tiny bit less sealing, that’s probably the cause for a tiny bit less bass. (Many „tiny“s here) :wink:
The strange thing was, that I thought I might miss some bass, but surprisingly I didn’t. I just don’t get why Dekoni state that there is a mid bass rise when there is none. In addition it wouldn’t make sense to design a pad that rises the midbass of a can that already has plenty of midbass. It would have made sense if they would have achieved a subbass rise. But they didn’t. Anyhow, it doesn’t matter because the bass isn’t the problem at all. The problem are the mids. There is something missing between 2kHz and 4kHz, as shows the measurement. Then there is a rise at 9 kHz. So if you happen to only listen to EDM and like that „plus“ on the hihat, you should check out these pads. For those seeking a more balanced tuning, stay with stock. The thing is: I listen to a variety of different musical genres and need that mids, especially for guitars, piano, well, generally for everything except EDM where there is not so much information in that frequency range.
yes, the new pads do make the vocals a bit clearer but also they make them sound thinner. If that’s what you want, go get those pads. I prefer a bit more weight. There are no piercing highs to be heard with the new pads, so that’s no problem at all, in case someone has fear of that. Despite that it seems to be a more V-shaped sound sig because of the mids suckout.

So Dekoni didn’t win, but they didn’t lose completely either. The pads are close enough to the stock pads to guarantee that there will be the one or the other liking the new pads a bit more than the stock (but I doubt there will be many). And if someone destroys the stock pads and doesn’t want to pay so much for new original stock pads now has a good alternative for less money but also (in my book) for a bit less listening pleasure.

If someone in the EU wants to buy them from me, go ahead and shoot me a PM, if not it’s ok too, they would stay in my shelve for the time being.

As said, I would have preferred a pad with more sub, less mid bass. Clean mids. Maybe a tiny rise the treble. But that’s just me.

Thanks for sharing your detailed impressions. I actually also had ordered them just out of curiosity, but the package seems to have gotten lost in transit (let's see). Meanwhile, I got much better information from you here than anywhere else. May be they still grow on you ...

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #2,994 of 4,488
Thanks for sharing your detailed impressions. I actually also had ordered them just out of curiosity, but the package seems to have gotten lost in transit (let's see). Meanwhile, I got much better information from you here than anywhere else. May be they still grow on you ...
Thanks. Of course it’s also a synergy thing. With another DAP it might „click“. Or with another cable.

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #2,995 of 4,488
For a amazing experience use RCA out on node2i to RCA in on Arche while listening to Tidal masters for some MQA, that's how the audio store I auditioned the Stellia at had theirs set up it sounded great.

I’m really glad you posted this. I believe you are saying that by using digital outs from the node2i that MQA will not unpack? Using analog ensures that MQA is unpacked and the resulting audio is passed to the headphone amp? I’m considering a node2i for my Arche/Stellia combo and have been wondering if I need to connect them analog vs digital.

Dec 24, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #2,996 of 4,488
Hi folks,
Well, this is an informative thread! I just placed an order for Stellia's as well as the Clear Pros after reading forum opinions on them for weeks-will be arriving on Saturday. I have been looking for a closed back hp as I have a few PC's running in my home office area, and in the winter time a couple of heaters as well, so the background noise can be bothersome when trying to enjoy some Christopher Hogwood, and with the Clears I am hoping for a legitimate companion to my HD800's (i.e., more intimate soundstage).

Current setup:

Cans: HD800 (have had them for 10 years and love them), LCD-X (have had them for a year and have tried desperately to like them....but I really, really don't)
AMP: Received my HeadAmp GS-X mini a few days ago-WOW! , Woo Audio WA22 (upgraded), several different tube combinations
DAC: Hugo2 with the 2Go streamer attachment. This DAC changed everything about music enjoyment to me. It's just incredible, and a cool conversation piece as well.
Dekstop Source: Roon piped directly into the Hugo2Go via hardwire ethernet. Only ripped FLAC and hi-rez recordings allowed in my house :)
Portable Source: iBasso DX220, JH Audio universal and custom Roxanne IEM's.

Everything I have read here tells me that the Hugo2/GS-X pairing works well with the Focal hp lineup, and I plan to run nothing but balanced connectivity with all of my hp's.

I have always used Black Dragon v2 cables, but reading this and other threads here has made me think that the Arctic Cable Signum or (gulp) Signum+ would be a better fit for Focals?

This is a great thread with a trove of useful information. I hope to contribute to the opinions once I get burn-in and listening time in.

thanks

Jeff

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #2,997 of 4,488
Hi folks,
Well, this is an informative thread! I just placed an order for Stellia's as well as the Clear Pros after reading forum opinions on them for weeks-will be arriving on Saturday. I have been looking for a closed back hp as I have a few PC's running in my home office area, and in the winter time a couple of heaters as well, so the background noise can be bothersome when trying to enjoy some Christopher Hogwood, and with the Clears I am hoping for a legitimate companion to my HD800's (i.e., more intimate soundstage).

Current setup:

Cans: HD800 (have had them for 10 years and love them), LCD-X (have had them for a year and have tried desperately to like them....but I really, really don't)
AMP: Received my HeadAmp GS-X mini a few days ago-WOW! , Woo Audio WA22 (upgraded), several different tube combinations
DAC: Hugo2 with the 2Go streamer attachment. This DAC changed everything about music enjoyment to me. It's just incredible, and a cool conversation piece as well.
Dekstop Source: Roon piped directly into the Hugo2Go via hardwire ethernet. Only ripped FLAC and hi-rez recordings allowed in my house :)

Everything I have read here tells me that the Hugo2/GS-X pairing works well with the Focal hp lineup, and I plan to run nothing but balanced connectivity with all of my hp's.

I have always used Black Dragon v2 cables, but reading this and other threads here has made me think that the Arctic Cable Signum or (gulp) Signum+ would be a better fit for Focals?

This is a great thread with a trove of useful information. I hope to contribute to the opinions once I get burn-in and listening time in.

thanks

Jeff
I just spent three days and about 15hrs with Clears and Stellia. They are both outstanding headphones. In the end your ears will decide for you. Having both is genius! I had a tougher decision in that I could only go with one pair for now. If it was not for the crazy bundles going on for Stellia I would have started with the Clear. That’s how well they performed. For me the Stellia edges the Clears out in the 5k + range. It’s just simply better defined. The Clears felt a little more “open” and seemed to have fuller low bass but only slightly. The bass was counter to everything I’ve read. Since I am getting the Arche it will be interesting to see if that fills in the missing bass.

Bottom line...two great sets of headphones. Enjoy!

Dec 24, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #2,998 of 4,488
Hi folks,

Current setup:

thanks

Jeff

Spend whatever you're comfortable with on aftermarket cables. That being said I have Signum+ and it does indeed pair extremely well with the Stellia. The transferable lifetime warranty is a huge plus. Had I known about that I would have gotten all my headphone/iem cables from them because EVERY single aftermarket cable I've ever bought has broken after about a year or so... I think they prob would've lost money given how fast I seem to run through cables lol.

The cable rabbit hole is an interesting one, I've actually noticed more improvements in sound by upgrading the power cord of my amp than cables on Stellia.

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #2,999 of 4,488
I’m really glad you posted this. I believe you are saying that by using digital outs from the node2i that MQA will not unpack? Using analog ensures that MQA is unpacked and the resulting audio is passed to the headphone amp? I’m considering a node2i for my Arche/Stellia combo and have been wondering if I need to connect them analog vs digital.
Yes my understanding of the node2i is that it only does a full unpack of MQA to RCA out, digital outputs will send digital information still packed so unless what you are connecting the digital outputs to is MQA compatible you will not have MQA.

Dec 25, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #3,000 of 4,488
FWIW: Don’t worry to much of the (dis)coloring of the headband. Eventually, it will turn into a very nice brown color....I have never used any “protection”....If you should wish, I can post a couple of pics?

Yes, please post pictures of what it looks like after the patina develops. Really want to get an idea of the final color.

I recently ordered a pair of Stellias. Have been curious/a bit concerned about the color change issue.

I did some quick googling and saw that patina is a natural phenomenon on leather. But all I've seen so far are pics where this is partially done on ppl's stellia. Let's call it the "well done" version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back