Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 10, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #1,546 of 4,484
Aeon Flow Closed 2.

Feb 10, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,547 of 4,484
Aeon Flow Closed 2.

Gotcha...I haven't spend too much time with them, but I don't think it's fair to compare a $899 to one that costs more than 3X. To my ears, these (Stellia) are the best closed headphones I've come by so far and I think I prefer them to the Utopia as well for the previous reasons stated. :)

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #1,548 of 4,484
Thanks.

I am not convinced yet about the Stellia as a closed headphone as I wasn’t impressed about the noise isolation. The AFC 1 was better here.

But if the gap in sound quality is significant, then I will just have to go for the Focal Stellia as my office headphone.

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #1,549 of 4,484
Agree, though the Clears, Utopias and Empyreans using with the same amp handled bass with aplomb so I was curious at to why the Stellias tripped up on a couple of tracks. I really liked the Stellias though. I would be interested in hearing how you get on with the Utopias after your w/e with the Stellias.
while the stellia had slightly elevated bass presence compared to the utopia to my ears, i also found it a little looser. certainly not a deal breaker for me tho.

Feb 11, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #1,550 of 4,484
Feb 11, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #1,551 of 4,484
Thanks.

I am not convinced yet about the Stellia as a closed headphone as I wasn’t impressed about the noise isolation. The AFC 1 was better here.

But if the gap in sound quality is significant, then I will just have to go for the Focal Stellia as my office headphone.

if isolation is important then i'd suggest trying the VCs, they go toe to toe with the Stellias on the performance front, just with different flavoured approach, but i found them to be the best isolating CB ive ever come across.

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #1,552 of 4,484
I have listened/enjoyed Stellias about two and half months now. Almost everyday. With Graham Slee Solo Ultra linear DE, SPL Phonitor XE(i use this now) and yesterday straight from the iPads headphone output (which showed again how important amplification and source is).

With SPL Phonitor xe and Forza Audioworks Noir HPC MK2 cable i just can't find any flaws on Stellias. Any. Sound is just perfect on my ears and my preferences.
And still i get those Whoa-moments, very often. <3
I was speaker-listener about 30years. Now i don't have speakers at all anymore. Stellia is the first headphone which made that possibly.
Very happy with the decision i made. :)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #1,553 of 4,484
I have listened/enjoyed Stellias about two and half months now. Almost everyday. With Graham Slee Solo Ultra linear DE, SPL Phonitor XE(i use this now) and yesterday straight from the iPads headphone output (which showed again how important amplification and source is).

With SPL Phonitor xe and Forza Audioworks Noir HPC MK2 cable i just can't find any flaws on Stellias. Any. Sound is just perfect on my ears and my preferences.
I was speaker-listener about 30years. Now i don't have speakers at all anymore. Stellia is the first headphone which made that possibly.
Is it harsh or peaky in the treble or mids area?
Is detail and micro detail imagining easily heard?

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #1,554 of 4,484

There is no end to this journey. I am very happy with my Stellias and the Graham Slee Solo ULDE, so just of curiosity: is the SPL Phonitor XE big improvement and if yes in which respect? Thanks:L3000:

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #1,556 of 4,484
Is it harsh or peaky in the treble or mids area?
Is detail and micro detail imagining easily heard?
Mids and treble aren't harsh at all. Smooth and silky, very natural and clear mids. Beautiful might say.
Details are just something phenomenal, lots and lots of details. Very easily heard, if you want to. Though details don't make a show of itself.

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #1,557 of 4,484
There is no end to this journey. I am very happy with my Stellias and the Graham Slee Solo ULDE, so just of curiosity: is the SPL Phonitor XE big improvement and if yes in which respect? Thanks:L3000:
Graham Slee Solo ULDE is a very good amp. Very musical. I like it a lot, i still have it.
I'm not sure if SPL Phonitor xe is "musical" in same terms.

But SPL gives a lot of control for Stellia, especially to bass. Bass in much tighter and conrolled with SPL. And goes deeper. Slam and authority.
With Graham Slee Stellias bass is a little bit boomy, round. Depends listened material also.
Mids and treble seems to be a tiny bit more clear and maybe a hint forward with SPL. More details. More translucent.

SPL is very neutral, Graham Slee adds it's own spices to mix. Not bad spices at all, in my books.
It's a matter of preferences.

Also dynamics are better with SPL, even scary sometimes. :beyersmile:
And in my preferences SPL's Matrix nails it all with Stellias. Makes listening more relaxed, more "lifelike", still not colouring the sound in any way.

But if you are happy with Graham Slee+Stellias and they makes your legs swing, why bother? Just enjoy music and good wibes. :)

Edit: what cable are you using with Stellias? Changing stock cable to Forza Audioworks Noir HPC mk2 makes quite a difference to Stellia's sound. My recommendation for Stellia's cable. Original cable sounds like a mitten compared to Forza.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #1,558 of 4,484
Graham Slee Solo ULDE is a very good amp. Very musical. I like it a lot, i still have it.
I'm not sure if SPL Phonitor xe is "musical" in same terms.

But SPL gives a lot of control for Stellia, especially to bass. Bass in much tighter and conrolled with SPL. And goes deeper. Slam and authority.
With Graham Slee Stellias bass is a little bit boomy, round. Depends listened material also.
Mids and treble seems to be a tiny bit more clear and maybe a hint forward with SPL. More details. More translucent.

SPL is very neutral, Graham Slee adds it's own spices to mix. Not bad spices at all, in my books.
It's a matter of preferences.

Also dynamics are better with SPL, even scary sometimes. :beyersmile:
And in my preferences SPL's Matrix nails it all with Stellias. Makes listening more relaxed, more "lifelike", still not colouring the sound in any way.

But if you are happy with Graham Slee+Stellias and they makes your legs swing, why bother? Just enjoy music and good wibes. :)

Edit: what cable are you using with Stellias? Changing stock cable to Forza Audioworks Noir HPC mk2 makes quite a difference to Stellia's sound. My recommendation for Stellia's cable. Original cable sounds like a mitten compared to Forza.
Many thanks for your detailed answer. As I mentioned, this journey never seem to stop:wink: Originally, I bought the Graham Slee for my Grados, and they work superbly with them, giving as you describe a slightly warmer sound. My wallet will find that the Stellias for now at least will have to be pleased with that amp as well. A major game changer in sound was when I invested in a new headphone cable: Arctic Cables: Ultra Pure Silver OCC 7N 8-Wire 100% pure jewelry-grade silver, 26 awg. Wow, like you describe, overall sound is just so much better....

Feb 18, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #1,559 of 4,484
Many thanks for your detailed answer. As I mentioned, this journey never seem to stop:wink: Originally, I bought the Graham Slee for my Grados, and they work superbly with them, giving as you describe a slightly warmer sound. My wallet will find that the Stellias for now at least will have to be pleased with that amp as well. A major game changer in sound was when I invested in a new headphone cable: Arctic Cables: Ultra Pure Silver OCC 7N 8-Wire 100% pure jewelry-grade silver, 26 awg. Wow, like you describe, overall sound is just so much better....
Link to the cable please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back