Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 9, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #1,531 of 4,499
If anyone is interested what Grover Neville from InnerFidelity has to say about the Stellia compared to the Verite Closed, here it is:

„The stellia is very much a harman curve type tuning, with much more forward
upper mids and treble clarity. It’s a brighter, cleaner sounding headphone,
while the ZMF is recessed in the upper mids and has more bass. The ZMF has a
warmer sound, and is much tonally richer and has quite a bit more punch. I
find bith to be amp picky in different directions - the Stellia sounds thin
and unpleasant on tube amps. It sounds best on high powered solid state, but
still has a kind of sharpness to transients. The ZMF is not so sharp on
transients and sounds great on higher impedance and tube gear, with a fast
but somewhat gentler presentation. At its worst the ZMF sounds inoffensive
but a bit boring, at its best it is musically engaging like few others, just
super sweet and detailed. The stellia at its worst is both murky and bright,
at its best its crystal clear and balanced... almost to the point of being a
bit boring. For pro work the Stellia is a clear winner. For consumer
listening, I find the ZMF a much more pleasant listen and much more
flattering to a wide variety of source material.“
I am withholding many comments on the VC as I feel I am still allowing them the seasoning time they deserve. I do want to say that the Stellia has almost become an addictive listen after adding the upgraded cables. The bass is not lacking and will slam. The details shine through in almost every song I listen to. I do not find the Stellia thin sounding, unless thin is described as dynamic and alive.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #1,532 of 4,499
I am withholding many comments on the VC as I feel I am still allowing them the seasoning time they deserve. I do want to say that the Stellia has almost become an addictive listen after adding the upgraded cables. The bass is not lacking and will slam. The details shine through in almost every song i listen to. I do not find the Stellia thin sounding, unless thin is described as dynamic and alive.
That’s also what I feel (hear) when listening to the Stellia (especially with the same upgrade cable as yours). I love its bass, in fact I am loving this beautifully balanced and transparent sound.
Maybe I also should add to Grover‘s statement that he doesn’t have the Stellia on hand anymore so it‘s from memory. Also he has „only“ the stock cable :wink:

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #1,533 of 4,499
If anyone is interested what Grover Neville from InnerFidelity has to say about the Stellia compared to the Verite Closed, here it is:

Thanks for sharing this. For what it’s worth pretty much agree. The recessed-mids tipped the balance in my decision making to keep the stellias. The tube amp statement is at best sweeping and worst objectively incorrect. Not all OTL’s are the same and he obviously hasn’t tried Feliks Audio Euforia standard or the Anniversary edition, because to my ears which i dont think a are broken, subjectively its the best sounding match i've heard for the Stellias. It allows all the dynamism, detail and accuracy through, but improves the layering and seperation by deepening the staging by some margin compared to how it sounds straight out of Hugo2, TT2 and Bryston BHA1. I also know Focal have a Euforia at their factory and i believe it was used during the tuning/development process for both Utopia and Stellias. I know i'm a fanboy for this match up, but i did choose the Stellia's first and spent quite a while finding a amplification match that i liked and which sounded best to me, and the Euforia marked quite a Damascene conversion on someone who's avoided tubes for last 30 years. i found the pair up to be night and day improvement, compared to listening straight from the H2 (which sounded pretty good already, if a little dry), from the moment i heard the first song play.

I know my findings are a matter of differing tastes rather than being subjectively right, as i have a good friend with the same amp and pretty much the same taste in bleeps and clicks electronica who prefers the VCs, so i understand if not agree with everything else he says, he's just wrong about the Stellias and (the right) tube amps :wink:

Feb 9, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #1,534 of 4,499

Interesting review. When I listened using a tube amp the Stellias were actually quite seductive and the opposite of thin and unpleasant. Maybe the loss of bass control I encountered had something to do with the stock cables.

Feb 9, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #1,536 of 4,499
But I really couldn't get over the build quality of the VC too.. For eg when I removed the pads, the driver covers looked like cheap black plastic.

The screws were screwed in uneven, some so tight that the screws bent the plastic cover. The non-finish of the wood below the ear pads.. The "rawness" and home made sort of construction, compared to my Meze, abyss and Utopia.

I ended up ordering another VC and am trying to get a special request in for a "perfect" finish/build on the new set; not sure if Zach/ZMF will even entertain me on that, but I'm hopeful.

Hey @Roasty - I wanted to address your concerns, and I'm glad you like the sound of the V Closed!

1. We use ABS injection molded driver covers - we easily could have used metal, but through our testing have found the injection molded covers do more positive to the sound. The plastic covers are specially designed with a rounded back side of the grille with a davinci pattern to allow air to go through easily and not get caught on any flat surface.

From a manufacturing sense, injection molded plastic is FAR more expensive (when building in small batches) as the costs of the molds are exorbitant. We are not cutting costs here. I just found injection molded grille covers to sound the best, we use them on all our headphones.

2. Our headphones are made of solid wood, and because of that wood shifts and moves constantly, so we have to build our headphones "under-tension" with specific materials so that we can ship our headphones all over the world, in different environments with different moisture content. Because we're using solid wood, everything has to be adjusted specifically to each headphone individually because wood cannot be exactly the same shape even when cut using a CNC machine. This causes the small parts that are precise every-time like plastic to not always fit in perfectly, so sometimes there are construction variances to make sure the headphone will withstand the test of time.

3. We build every headphone with the utmost of care, they all go through my hands and we have a stringent QC list that everyone touching the headphone has to go through. I can totally understand the concerns of ordering a headphone made mostly out of wood. Because of the wood construction our headphones take a much longer time to build because of the unique quality of wood to each headphone, and I realize because of that those wanting a "perfect" aesthetic that is predictable may want headphones made out of other materials that are not as varied as natural wood.

We did receive your special requests from Zepp, but please rest assured all headphones are built with the utmost of care.

As an aside - I use many construction methods, tools and practices that I've picked up from my days of building acoustic guitars. I love the "breathing" that woods does to make it unique and something that has a tactile feel when you hold it, and speaks individually from each species acoustically.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 9, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #1,539 of 4,499
Get it made with the connector you use most.
I usually use 3.5mm(never used balanced before) ,but when I tried 4.4mm,it sounded better to my ears,so I have gone with 4.4mm termination with 4.4mm female to 3.5mm male adapter made from same wire
This way I can use both the options & I dont have to regret my decision for going other way

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,540 of 4,499
I usually use 3.5mm(never used balanced before) ,but when I tried 4.4mm,it sounded better to my ears,so I have gone with 4.4mm termination with 4.4mm female to 3.5mm male adapter made from same wire
This way I can use both the options & I dont have to regret my decision for going other way
FWIW I chose the 3.5 mm as it is the most versatile and goes with my ZX2. Was informed by Roy at Arctic cables that it would be "better" to go for this and then add a 6.3 mm than the opposite. Never tried 4.4mm or balanced though, but very happy:)

Feb 10, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #1,541 of 4,499
Interesting review. When I listened using a tube amp the Stellias were actually quite seductive and the opposite of thin and unpleasant. Maybe the loss of bass control I encountered had something to do with the stock cables.

That's typical of tube amps...you get some warmth and bloom at the price of control/transparency (generally speaking of course). After a few long listening sessions with the Stellia this weekend, going back to the Utopia is gonna be hard. The added warmth/bass and wider/deeper soundstaging of the Stellia had me smiling the whole time. :relaxed:

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #1,542 of 4,499
So how do these compare against the AFC 2?

The AFC 1 really sounded lifeless with no dynamics next to the Stellia, but apparently they fixed it with the AFC 2 (atleast that is what reviewers are saying).

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #1,543 of 4,499
That's typical of tube amps...you get some warmth and bloom at the price of control/transparency (generally speaking of course). After a few long listening sessions with the Stellia this weekend, going back to the Utopia is gonna be hard. The added warmth/bass and wider/deeper soundstaging of the Stellia had me smiling the whole time. :relaxed:

Agree, though the Clears, Utopias and Empyreans with the same amp handled bass with aplomb so I was curious at to why the Stellias tripped up on a couple of tracks. I really liked the Stellias though. I would be interested in hearing how you get on with the Utopias after your w/e with the Stellias.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,544 of 4,499
Agree, though the Clears, Utopias and Empyreans using with the same amp handled bass with aplomb so I was curious at to why the Stellias tripped up on a couple of tracks. I really liked the Stellias though. I would be interested in hearing how you get on with the Utopias after your w/e with the Stellias.

Could be a synergy thing - tube thing or higher output impedance of the amp.

Most likely due to their low impedance; only 35ohms. The Clear are less susceptible to this at 55 ohms impedance and the Utopia even less so at 80ohms. Orthos are generally unaffected by this.

Some further reading:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musings-headphone-amplifier-output-impedance

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #1,545 of 4,499
So how do these compare against the AFC 2?

The AFC 1 really sounded lifeless with no dynamics next to the Stellia, but apparently they fixed it with the AFC 2 (atleast that is what reviewers are saying).

AFC? Sorry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back