Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 10, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #1,262 of 4,499
I need to update something earlier. When I got the Stellia out of the box new, I was surprised how similar they sounded to my AKG N5005. There were similar in a few says in sound. The Stellia did now and again keep making sounds way beyond the N5005, even in the very early stages. Even with little burn-in though, the Stellia moved away from the N5005.

Now with more burn in, it's impossible to compare Stellia vs N5005. Stellia is better in every single aspect. Stellia is Streets ahead, as it should be given the price difference.

The N5005 is equally full sounding like the Stellia. Stellia had bigger sound-stage now although I would say the soundstage is still slightly small. (Whereas initially I thought the N5005 and Stellia had almost the same soundstage.) The Stellia soundstage allows hearing the individual instruments more. Lots more detail too. Stellia is a supremely nice way to hear music.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #1,263 of 4,499
I need to update something earlier. When I got the Stellia out of the box new, I was surprised how similar they sounded to my AKG N5005. There were similar in a few says in sound. The Stellia did now and again keep making sounds way beyond the N5005, even in the very early stages. Even with little burn-in though, the Stellia moved away from the N5005.

Now with more burn in, it's impossible to compare Stellia vs N5005. Stellia is better in every single aspect. Stellia is Streets ahead, as it should be given the price difference.

The N5005 is equally full sounding like the Stellia. Stellia had bigger sound-stage now although I would say the soundstage is still slightly small. (Whereas initially I thought the N5005 and Stellia had almost the same soundstage.) The Stellia soundstage allows hearing the individual instruments more. Lots more detail too. Stellia is a supremely nice way to hear music.

Have you ditched the cables and gone balanced yet?

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #1,264 of 4,499
Ok here is a question for you owner's of the Stellia's.

Is there any Headphones you've owned with a similar sound to the Stellia ?

Eventually I will own my own but financially speaking it's a year away at least.

And I just have not heard anything with the impact and clarity of the Stellia and although I have decent gear nothing I have is even close.

I'm considering the elegia

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #1,267 of 4,499

Eventually I will own my own but financially speaking it's a year away at least.

And I just have not heard anything with the impact and clarity of the Stellia and although I have decent gear nothing I have is even close.

I don't think you can compare, it's a closed back masquerading as an open-back. I think a big chunk of the money has gone on the physical design and comfort of the thing.

Personally I think the Stellia excels at rock and breakbeat stuff like Prodigy. Anything with impactful bass and a lot going on in the mids it seems to eat for breakfast. I've not gone back and tried any classical since I was burning in, but I thought it was very ordinary there.

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #1,269 of 4,499
the utopia

*i don't own the stellia but have auditioned it a few times

I owned both, I think the signature is totally different. May have similar beryllium drivers, but the Utopia nails mids and highs and is transparent. Stellia plays in the bass and mids and is warmer. Can listen to Stellia all day, utopia is tiring after a couple of hours.

All IMHO naturally

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #1,270 of 4,499
I owned both, I think the signature is totally different. May have similar beryllium drivers, but the Utopia nails mids and highs and is transparent. Stellia plays in the bass and mids and is warmer. Can listen to Stellia all day, utopia is tiring after a couple of hours.

All IMHO naturally
i own the utopia and the stellia sounded like an approximation of it in closed-back form to me. that's not to say that it sounded the same, but it shared similar sonic characteristics. all imho of course. :relaxed:

Oct 11, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #1,271 of 4,499
i own the utopia and the stellia sounded like an approximation of it in closed-back form to me. that's not to say that it sounded the same, but it shared similar sonic characteristics. all imho of course. :relaxed:

Not trying to put you on the spot, but can you be more specific? I'm genuinely interested in others opinions. The longer I spend with the Stellia the more I feel it was designed as a DAP friendly headphone and tuned to a specific genre. Utopia for me is more of a reference headset. I'm having real fun with the Stellia with the SP2KCU with a custom balanced copper cable right now. I'd never take the combo outside the flat though, so maybe the target audience has a team of bodyguards?

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #1,272 of 4,499
Not trying to put you on the spot, but can you be more specific? I'm genuinely interested in others opinions. The longer I spend with the Stellia the more I feel it was designed as a DAP friendly headphone and tuned to a specific genre. Utopia for me is more of a reference headset. I'm having real fun with the Stellia with the SP2KCU with a custom balanced copper cable right now. I'd never take the combo outside the flat though, so maybe the target audience has a team of bodyguards?
I´m going outside with them everyday. no problem at all.

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #1,273 of 4,499

I come from the InEar ProPhile8 IEM and found them to be nearly the same from the frequency response, but all in all inferior to the Stellia, that´s why I upgraded. I have not heard an overeat which is close to them but I guess the Elegia would be the closest.

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #1,274 of 4,499
I´m going outside with them everyday. no problem at all.

Paranoia. Outside of this forum who knows what we're really carrying?

I really wanted to take the sp2k and Stellia on holiday with me. I just always think the worst will happen! But that's where I see this headphone, it's the best and easiest to drive headphone on the market that isn't an IEM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back